Thread: What size game would you feel comfortable shooting

Boolit Man

What size game would you feel comfortable shooting

Whit this combination ?
    Cartridge: 9,3x57
    Boolit 278gr GC cast from Lyman No2 alloy
    V5= 640 M/S
    I get 5 shot groups that are under 60mm at 80m using a Husqvarna M/46
    The recovered boolits in the pictures has travelled through some 65cm of wet newspaper placed at 80m and has retained 89,4% of there weight as an average
    Thoughts and ideas ?
    Happy casting and hunting

Boolit Master
    278 grain at 2100fps? Most anything I think...but I am only familiar with game in No. America...I can't imagine many animals on Earth fairing well against a properly placed round like that though

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That should work on most any North American game. Elk(wapiti), moose(your elk?) for sure, large bears - OK, fine for all the smaller stuff. Should be fine for feral pigs, wild boar.

Boolit Grand Master

Your load, as pictured/described, should be very effective on just about any game except dangerous game up close.

While I don't use a bullet that heavy (I use a 200 gr bullet) in my 35 Remington I push it at 2150 fps (rebarreled M91 Mauser). I use a harder alloy for practice because it maintains accuracy. However, for hunting deer, elk, moose and black bears I prefer a softer bullet for better/quicker expansion. Mixing COWWs with 2% tin then mixing that at 50/50 with pure lead ending up with a 97/1.5/1.5 alloyed bullet that I let air cool. That softer bullet works very well giving excellent penetration and expansion with very good weight retention. On smaller game such as deer I also HP the bullet 3/16" deep with a 1/8" Forster HP tool. To maintain the best accuracy with the softer bullet I clean the barrel every 8 shots or so. Seemingly a PITA but when hunting, especially game, one doesn't shoot that much anyway........or shouldn't at least.......

If you get one of your moose with your load please let us know how it performed?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I would feel comfortable shooting anything on the North and South American continent with that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

I am just a stupid Hillbilly so we cipher using Imperial measurements.
    Wet newspaper aka wet-pack is a fantastic test medium. If a medium to large caliber bullet can go 25 plus inches, or better yet 35 plus inches, you could kill most any on earth.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i would shoot a moose with that!! easy.

i like what larry said about alloy though.. i do tend to carry a much harder alloy for big bear protection, but a softer allowy sure does expand better.. and moose are pretty easy to kill.. they have huge lungs. one shot with even a small ish 30 cal can penatrate the rib cage and double lung them, and hitting them is basically hitting the broad side of a barn.

marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Vendor Sponsor

That load would take any animal on the North American continent. What do you have in Sweden that is bigger than a full grown brown bear?

Large Russian boar, perfect load. Moose and other thin skinned game I would use a softer alloy.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Man
    Hi
    Thanks for all the answers and kind remarks I developed this as a practice load so that i could shoot more for the same buck, as an afterthought i thought i would test it and se how i preformed in wet paper and if it would work as a hunting load. I have not shoot any large game using a lead only boolit and it is not so common here so i am a little apprehensive of doing so. And as our big game hunts (moose and brown bear) tend to be group affairs you often end up shooting on a moving animal. So i wonder i there are some thoughts on this boolit and alloy would react hitting bone?
    Regards

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by math View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for all the answers and kind remarks I developed this as a practice load so that i could shoot more for the same buck, as an afterthought i thought i would test it and se how i preformed in wet paper and if it would work as a hunting load. I have not shoot any large game using a lead only boolit and it is not so common here so i am a little apprehensive of doing so. And as our big game hunts (moose and brown bear) tend to be group affairs you often end up shooting on a moving animal. So i wonder i there are some thoughts on this boolit and alloy would react hitting bone?
    Regards
    Ha i think it would be better to ask how the bone would react being hit by that....ans likely, it'll shatter like a dimestore plate and send multiple fragments as secondary wound channels....while the bullet plows on through

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Bout anything short of a Sherman Tank.
    Whatever!

Hi
    Regards
    What alloy are you using? How much tin? Hard and tough would mean the boolit should stay together after impacting bone. Hard and brittle means it si likely to shatter if it hits bone.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Theres nothing in North America that that wouldnt work great on and if it will work on everything here, it will also work great on 90%+ of African animals

Hi
    Regards
    What alloy are you using? How much tin? Hard and tough would mean the boolit should stay together after impacting bone. Hard and brittle means it si likely to shatter if it hits bone.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Certainly, anything short of water buffalo, elephant, rhino and hippo. I'd want a .40+ caliber for the big boys.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    It is Lyman No2, 90% pb 5% sn 5% sb or as close to this as i am able to make it in this batch ther was trace amount of cu and ag as a result of the babbit i used to make the alloy

I use a very similar bullet in my 9.3x62 and use the same alloy. I would hunt anything moose to mouse and given a good rest and slow moving targets bring on the big bear!

That might kill a good sized Buick. Hunt with confidence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have been working with the 9.3 x 62mm Mauser for a few years now and found it to shoot a cast Accurate 37-285-C very well I would say with this slug going over 2000fps I would have no second thoughts about hunting any thing in north America out to about 200 yards. if the big 5 in Africa got involved I would be looking in to J-words

Boolit Grand Master
    Agree with all of the above. On thin-skinned game that doesn't bite or claw your aspirations up, cast the bullets as a Bruce B Soft Point (should be archived on this site) and go make meat.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast