Thread: What size game would you feel comfortable shooting

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th-25.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	245908

Math, hi there fellow Swede!
    As for game in Sweden I have taken a number of moose, some of decent size and 15 + wild boars with the biggest at 160kg with my 9.3x57. My velocities are about the same as yours but I only use j words so far..
    The big boar went 50 meters, all the others less.
    I would say that you are good to go!

Boolit Master

I totally agree with poster #13. I say there 'ya go with poster #22 who has been there and done that. I'd just say that you can hunt with confidence almost anything anywhere. I would, as one poster said, switch to J-word bullets if the game was something like the really big and bad stuff such as elephant, hippo, rhino, water buffalo, & cape buffalo. The limiting factor for cast boolits for my loading techniques would be if long range shooting were involved in situations above 300 yards. Not say it isn't done. I just don't work at long range loading with cast. In my limited hunting experience, my big game has been less than 100 yards and more than likely in the neighbor-hood of 50-60 yards. So cast works for virtually all my hunting. Mine is a 9.3x74 in a single shot rifle. I use basically the same boolit you listed but mine is a 50/50 mix for hunting and straight COWW for target work.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Vendor Sponsor

[QUOTE=smoked turkey;4696176I would, as one poster said, switch to J-word bullets if the game was something like the really big and bad stuff such as elephant, hippo, rhino, water buffalo, & cape buffalo.[/QUOTE]

Why so? The general consensus is that J words are softer, unless you get some partitioned, and cast being harder and with a more pronounced meplat would penetrate farther. I would not choose a j word for any of the dangerous game you mentioned.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I'm with Doug here about general bullet selection.

For game that won't try to eat me,a basic lung shot with an expanding j-boolit is my pick. In moose, my 45-70 bullets often stop to the other side hide and kill fast. Speer makes the good soft 400 grainer again. Long shots over 150 m have gone through, less expansion.

Dangerous game needs to be stopped instantly,it's a different ballgame. There I want brute force penetration. Enter heavy hard tough alloy cast.

Having said that,I have taken two moose with 9,3x62. Both j-bullets went through. Also,my friend shot a moose calf with 9,3x62 j-bullet last fall, distance 50 m, the bullet went through,ricocheted in 45° angle and unintentionally killed the cow at another 60 meters. The bullet was found in the cow's spine.

I would go with soft alloy wide meplat IF I was going to hunt moose with cast. But overpenetration might still be an issue. A good expanding j-bullet works hard and makes mucho damage.
    Last edited by Petander; 07-28-2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Numbers fix

Boolit Man
    Hi
    It would seem as i could use this round on any game we have here in Sweden with confidence If i will do so is another thing altogether as i said we hunt for moose and bears in groups and prejudice can be a strong thing. This Husqvarna in 9,3x57 was given to me by my grandmothers husband on my 18 (leagal age for owning hunting weapons in Sweden if you have gone through the courses and passed the exam) I used it for some years before i got a 358 Norma Magnum, then it was a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 that i used for a couple of years, great caliber! But then the urge to own a Africa caliber become to great so i had to sell the 45-70 (you can only have 6 guns for hunting) and had a gunsmith make me a 425 Westley Richards on a Husqvarna 1640 ( basically a Muser 98) action and this is the rifle i have shoot most of my moose with using my own swaged bullets The 358 nm went away to the same gun smith and come back as a 275 Rigby as i so the need for something lighter to use for roe dear and so And about a year ago i started to get nostalgic and thoughts of using that old gun came to mind befor he who had given me the gun passed away so i had the handle replaced and a scope mounted and succeed in geting a moose calf before he passed in january this year. I started hunting moose at 18 and this august i find my self turning 41, where has the years gone ? and i have been lucky enough to shoot 1 or 2 moose every year except 2009 as i deployed for Afghanistan that autumn.
    And as i had gained a lot more experience in casting boolits i thought i would try and do so for this old girl, a target round in first hand and a bonus if it should pass for hunting and all your stories and confidence in this is comforting please keep them coming,
    Thank you all

Boolit Master
    math,

While I prefer a bullet with a larger meplat, your examples seem as though they should take anything in most areas of the world, and for sure anything North of the equator.

I have had, and of course this is with proper bullet placement, very good results using my 45/70 with a 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast of 50/50 wheel weights/lead and water quenched.

Velocity 1650fps. Three elk all at over 100yds, the furthest 161yds.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    T- Rex????
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Hi Math, I've got one of those M46 rifles and really appreciate the light weight, accuracy and serious thump. My hat is off to the old Swedes who built them. I have never shot any thing but Norma factory ammo, I think they are 286gr. at about 2000 fps. Only game I have shot with mine is some whitetail deer, they go about 3 feet after being hit, straight down! I do live in grizzly bear country and I would not worry a bit about using a 9.3x57 as a defensive firearm on a bear.
    Anyway, I am interested in your cast bullet. What is the mold? It looks like just the answer for the large throat in my rifle.
    Thanks,
    Dennis

Boolit Man
    Hi kootne
    The mold is #37-285B from Accurate that Tom cut to the dimensions of my rifle, and my rifle likes big boolits .370 driving bands and the bore riding portion just touchning the rifling
    Regards
    Math

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    We shoot hundreds of 275 FNGC grain cast from our 375 H&H rifles running between 1850- 2200 fps. So far no critter has walked away.
    We do not have bears or moose in our East ILLinois river bottoms. But if any were and could be legally hunted I would not hesitate to use a 50/50 (pure / WW) slug on it.
    If you want a massive wound channel paper patch your cast and push it to 2400 fps. Or consider powder coat (we tumble our's then bake) as so far at 2300 fps we get no leading with the 50/50 cast. The slower powders (4831) do very well with these cast.
    Down here in the southern Peru high deserts (3000 meters +) there are no critters to hunt legally except wild burrow and they are easily taken with a 308 and a 180 FNGC grain slug at 1900 fps.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Hi Math,
    Thanks for the mold info.
    Dennis

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That might kill a good sized Buick. Hunt with confidence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Buick, sure
    ...But probably not a Studebaker

Attachment 246070
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Anything that wasn't fixin' to eat ME! That is real close to the 35 Whelen that I loaded for a black bear hunt and I have used 35 Remington with 200 grain bullets at 1950 FPS to take most everything else I hunt. In fact 30-40 Krag with the old 220 bullet at 2000 fps has killed most everything in the Midwest with no problems, if you put the bullet where it belongs. Accuracy is way more important than energy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12