RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: 300 Blackout Success

Boolit Buddy

300 Blackout Success

I got my Lee312-160-2r mold in the mail today for my 300 Blackout. I cast up a handful of bullets, powder coated them, and loaded ten of them to make sure they were going to function.

I loaded them with 16 grains of Lil Gun with an OAL of 2.018 inches. I have the cases trimmed to 1.355" and that puts the last lube groove even with the end of the case. I put a mild crimp on the cases to help prevent bullet setback.

I didn't put them on paper, but I did confirm that they were able to at least hit an 8" steel plate at 50 yards. I was shooting offhand with a red dot.

Ejection was strong and to the 4 o'clock direction, primers are not flat, and the cases were fire formed to the chamber. Cases were made from once fired 223/556 cases.

Banned
    I love it when a plan comes together. Now you have a starting point to narrow it down (tighten up the group on paper)

Boolit Master

It sure feels good when thing work from the start.

I never got that boolit to work in 2 different barrels. Glad it worked out for you

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    The barrel is 10.5 inches, 8" twist, and a pistol length gas system.

Boolit Master

300 Blackout Success

That’s my main 300AAC boolit too. I have had good success with it in an MAS defense 16” barrel on a basic carbine. I get 100% function and fine accuracy if I do my part in both reloading and shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 08-18-2019 at 04:44 PM.

I had some trouble with the powder coating making the noses too big. That was before I switched to hitek however. It’s much thinner and more consistent.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I had some trouble with the powder coating making the noses too big. That was before I switched to hitek however. It’s much thinner and more consistent.
    I've been thinking about switching to Hitek for my bullet coatings.

Banned

cure to all your bo problems and its on sale. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010267198?pid=305808

Boolit Buddy
    Thats probably one of the most popular 300AAC bullets that many start with because it simply works and its the best plinking round for 300. Casting and reloading with those will cost less per round then .223 and its much more satisfying to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SavedImage_20190812_112658_08.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	246721
    I backed the powder load off to 15 grains, OAL is still the same.

I’m still waiting to see( or achieve) a good cast boolit group on paper from a .300 BO. I tried 6 different boolits in mine. No such problem with my 7.62x39 AR. They are both brilliant with jacketed bullets. The x39 shoots cast better @100 yds than the BO does @ 40yds. My rifles; yours may differ.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll get some more ammo loaded up in the next couple days and post some results on Saturday at 100 yards. I am using a 2 MOA red dot on my gun, so don't expect match grade accuracy.

Banned

my 16 inch gun does just under 2 inch at a 100 yards with the rcbs 130 and 16 grains of aa9 (wc820). or 19 grains of wc297. 8.5 inch gun will shoot 1.5 at 50 but has a red dot and I just don't do good with a red dot at a 100yards. But it defineately pounds the 6x6 in steel plates at a 100. Is it moa NOPE. But I never set out to have a target bullet. Its a cheap way to shoot hundreds of rounds at a crack. Something that before I got into 300 bos I could only do with 9mm ar15s. Its also minute of man if ever I needed it for a shtf senerio. But when it comes to actually killing game ill stick with jacketed bullets. The 300 is already marginal and im not going to hamstring it by trying to make a pointy hard bullet kill deer. Ill add to that those are the ONLY TWO loads ive tried with a that bullet. Id about bet if someone had the time and paitents and tried some different powders or even charge weights you probably could get moa out of it.

Boolit Buddy
    I backed the powder charge off to 12 grains, with the same OAL. While the gun functioned fine I felt that it was just way too hot to be accurate.
    I shot some Hornady 300 blackout ammo the other day and it had a super super mild recoil and the gun ran just fine.
    I might try loading some ammo up with 11 grains and 11.5 grains to see if they function.

Tex - CB Loads / Military Rifles/new black out load - post #5. Haven't shot it in the 10" 8 pistol yet, just a holo sight. This is carbine 10:1, scoped. Upped the load and some with 296 for tomorrow, I hope. Slick sided PC vs BLL.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Just went out and shot some more ammo loaded up with 12 grains of powder. Much more accurate, and bullets are stable at 100 yards.
    I'll have to put my gun on a rest to see what kind of accuracy I'm getting out of it. I managed to get a 6 inch group at 100 yards shooting from a kneeling position.
    That was much better than I had gotten with hotter loads. I'm happy with the accuracy I'm getting out of it now.