WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between different brands of presses?

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The sound of that is enough to generate LUST in an old Baptist
    Nothing much: 10x10... Im not even working on it alot because its hotter than hell outside. And im alone, plus theres bugs. ALOT OF BUGS!

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Kev18 regardless of whether you obtain another press to use of not I hope your original questions have been answered, that you've gained a little more insight into the different type presses and have seen 1st hand how these press discussions progress. They most usually digress this way.

I try very hard not to make recommendations as to which press to buy because for me which press you buy is as personal as the firearms you own. I am a firm believer that what works for me most likely will not work for anyone else. And the way you reload will not fit with the way I reload. All I can do is relate what I have and how I use it. If anyone wants to adopt it that is fine by me.

If you decide to stay with what you have then that is what's right for you. Just the same if you decide to move on to something else. That is part of the beauty of it, we are not tied to one press or one way to do this.
    Very true, not tied to anything! Alot of useful info here.

I went to the store today JUST to buy round balls... Well my choice has been made.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations I hope you enjoy loading on it.

I just slapped a round together and just by running the press once, I can see that its alot more sturdy. And I only mounted it temporarily. The ram is massive

Boolit Master
    The sturdy part is good , what I learned to like are the way it contains spent primers the safety prime I think I have had all the primer versions this newest version operates the smoothest.
    and best part , those inexpensive turrets once you get your dies setup and adjusted if using the same components a caliber change takes seconds.

Banned

Nice score
    Love mine

I Just did 20 rounds . It was nice! The ram rubs on the frame alittle bit but it'll buff out soon enough! I might use my Single stage as a depriming press. Il get a universal decapper.

Boolit Master
    Give her a little lube on the ram and pivot points and check the adjustment on the pivot bolts mine came a little loose. I wipe the index rod with STP synthetic cause I have some but I have started using the Hornady one shot gun cleaner and lube it dries to a nice waxy lube and penetrates well I use on the turret also with a little time to dry is not sticky but probably as many choices that work as this forum has members .

Boolit Master
    A grand choice!

Enjoy

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Well done, Should serve you nicely for what you are doing and it will last.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    You sir are a joke. There are no baby steps involved here and neither is there patience or intelligence. You have made it perfectly clear by your comments that there in no reason for any other press than a Dillon. You have pointed that out in every topic where this has come up, not just this one. You refuse to accept that not everyone that reloads and uses a reloading press needs a multi-function progressive reloading press yet you keep preaching the same sermon.

Then you come here and offer such a condescending comment insulting everyone that disagrees with you I find silly and disparaging.
    Over the last 50 years or so I have watched people buy single stage presses only to buy a turret or progressive within 6 months or so. You seem to think there is no intelligence needed to reload. I'll tell that to the guy that blew up his 40 caliber simply because he didn't have enough crimp on the bullet the bullet went further back into the case causing extreme pressure and his gun blew up. I'll also tell it to the Linn County Sheriffs department that had the same problem and has since banned reloads for their 40 caliber carry guns. I'll also pass that along to anyone that has accidentally double charged a round and had the misfortune to blow up their gun.

I seem to make a comment and you come trolling by. You don't like it but you need to come to the realization that my opinions will be posted on this forum whether or not they meet your approval. I stated and I will stand by MY opinion that single stage presses are a waste of time and money this is MY opinion which I have a right to post. You can either ignore it or agree with it and I don't care which. My opinion is that people should consider an alternate to a single stage press in most situations simply because most purchasers will in fact upgrade to either a turret or progressive press simply because now they have become familiar with the concept of reloading and now feel comfortable reloading. Sure there are situations where single stage presses have a place. I happen to keep a Lyman-T- Mag around simply to reload 308's and 22-250's simply because I don't want to reload them on my 650.

You stated above there is no intelligence needed to reload and I just gave an example. You also stated there is no patience needed either and to that I will also disagree and state that I have watched hundreds of rounds be dismantled simply because the load wasn't right, the length wasn't correct or possibly functional. Mistakes like these do happen simply because someone gets impatient gets in a hurry and then as a result makes mistakes some of which can be deadly and or very costly.

Now, you seem to like single stage presses and you seem to believe that they are the only means in which to start reloading. I on the other hand favor turrets and progressives. We both have our opinions and my suggestion is if have a problem with what I post then send me an email or IM instead of hiding behind an internet post.

One final thing that I'm sure you won't like and its my opinion again..... anything that can be learned on a single stage press can be learned on a turret or progressive. View each station as its own entity. You will setup each station as if it is the only one in consideration just like you would a single stage press and you can run that turret or progressive with the same precision as the single stage press. I have taught a number of people to reload, people that before I sat them down and schooled them were ready to go out and purchase single stage presses simply because they had been taught that a single stage press IS THE ONLY way to learn reloading. The people I schooled went out and purchased progressive presses and went on to reload with the confidence that I had given them. The money they saved in the process went toward more equipment. Sure, there are exceptions to everything but ruling out a turret or progressive from the start is questionable in my mind yet I can respect it.

Banned
    My opinion here again..

One of the nice things about progressive or turret presses IS the ability to run single operations. Many times I have run single operations on the 550 and 650 presses. Sometimes I have setup the 650 to FL resize, prime and bell and then eject and finish up on the turret with an exotic load that I don't want to run completely thru the 650.Attachment 246038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7310013.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	246039Attachment 246040

My point to those considering a first purchase is why not consider a 550, 650, or turret over a single stage press to save yourself some money ? Any of these presses can be run with a single die to start with when your first starting off and need to build some confidence reloading.

Please disregard the messy reloading table as I just move and just started putting stuff back together on the table.

Banned
    I favor the 550 for those just starting out.

Im not sure about a progressive but I can see how a turret might be good for a beginner. Its a single stage just with all the dies ready at hand.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Im not sure about a progressive but I can see how a turret might be good for a beginner. Its a single stage just with all the dies ready at hand.
    I agree and it can be run as a single stage. I have 3 presses set up on stands ready to use a single stage ,the LCT , and the ABLP progressive , the single stage is used the least but I like it for a few things , LCT is the most versatile for the way I load 13 different cartridges frequently another 10 I think , occasionally .
    9 ,40 ,45 acp and 38 shoot most and use the ABLP it works well and if you are set up for the LCT is really cheap way to go since they can share the many of the same accessories its slow for a progressive but will easily do 2 to 400 an hour at a casual pace it is a cheaper built press than the LCT so time will tell how it holds up , I've lost count but am probably over 6k on it.

I am one that thinks a progressive is a poor choice for most beginners , it is multi tasking with stuff that can hurt you. For me progressives are more like work than an enjoyable part of shooting like a single stage and the turrets , when running smooth no problem but if the sequence is interrupted there is a big chance of a squib or double powder charge.
    Last edited by onelight; 07-31-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    I also am of the opinion that beginners should start on a single stage or at the most, a turret press.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

What I think is appropriate is irrelevant because it is not me in that position and I cannot know someone else's skill sets or intelligence. I on one hand have a very mechanical background and mindset. I have spent many years working on high speed automated production equipment that is much more complicated than these reloading presses. Therefore I have little difficulties picking up the workings and timing of a progressive press. I am not alone in these abilities and I know plenty of guys that are even better at this than I am. But I am also intelligent enough to know that not everyone is of this same skillset level.

Though once again as I tried pointing out previously not everyone that steps up to a reloading bench needs, wants or desires a Progressive press. All those that think otherwise are dishonest and closed minded. This has nothing to do with intelligence, skill, understanding or even budget. I believe the Dillon 650 and 1050 are exceptional tools but I would never buy one because it is way beyond the needs of my reloading volumes. At the same time I have a single stage press that sits under the bench and hasn't been touched in over a year.

I will leave my opinion at this, are some people capable of learning on a progressive press? YES. Is it wise that most people start with a single stage press? YES. Is it also true that some people should never be allowed near a reloading press? ABSOLUTELY!

Boolit Master

Pretty much most presses are adequate for reloading with some being better than others and some do things better than others with the exception of the Smart Reloader Presses sold a few years ago which were not very well made products and doubtful the ones that were 'ok' would last long. I currently have a Lee Challenger, Lee Classic Cast press and a Hornady LNL AP press which I really like. I still have my first press which is a Lee Hand Press I bought back in the late 70's.

Steve.......
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member