Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between different brands of presses?

Banned

I'll never use a progressive. Not ever.

Interesting, my brother did just get rid of a Dillon machine because it was more trouble than it was worth and their customer support was bad. He's an avid bullseye shooter and decided to go with a pretty basic turret set up of some kind for his .45 ACP loading.

Rockchucker does 99% of it for me, and I have a couple of other single stages that are going to be set up for specific functions. I did recently pick up an old Lyman All American turret and it will be dedicated to .45 Colt in all likelihood, maybe .38 Special.

Anybody who says something as stupid as "the only real press is a Dillon" has more money than sense.

Boolit Master
    Kev18, the OP is using a beginner Lee Single stage and that gives me no pain. I think it is great that he is a hand loader. We need all we can get .... handloaders tend to be greater gun rights advocates than occasional shooters.

Kev18 asked a logical question about presses, little did he know he would set off the ever present trip wire as to brand hatred that persists in the greater shooting community. I would rather just give an unpassioned assesment of what I have worked with and leave it at that as the vast majority of members do and that is what I believe Kev18 is seeking and deserves.

As to a perfect machine or perfect line of tools (I will leave colors aside) .... I hardly think that mankind has achieved that yet nor likely never will. Getting mad because a member will not throw their tooling in the trash can at our behest and adopting the line of tools that are in fact not perfect does not make good sense.

I apologize if this seems directed at richhodge66 because it is not, his angst is about progressives as a whole, he just points to a color that is not perfect after all in passing.

I have on one occasion turned a newbie away from the Lee 1000 only for him to buy it anyway and then never use it, what a waste. I had one and told him my concerns with it and that I would make him a heck of a deal on it but that as a friend he would not get it because he was a green newbie. The guy I bought it off of told me the 1000 put him out of handloading when he bulged a barrel on his S&W revolver because of a squib load.

Now I do not berate the 1000 but I do put up a pretty strong arguement for newbies to avoid it. A seasoned loader could get by alright so long as (this my opinion) he or she split the loading in half and did case prep on one trip and charging and seating the next cycle. I am sure there are many Lee 1000 users who take issue with that position but I am sticking to it.

It is simple mathematics that you can not size bell charge and seat with three stations and also powder check at the same time.

I draw a bright red line without a powder check.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I have 2 single stage presses a RCBS Rock Chucker and a Redding Big Boss 2 I do some case reforming and these are what I use for that purpose. They are used for small runs of 20 rds or less. My other presses are 2 Dillon 650s. I try not to give my opinion on subjects like this but I will say that if you're starting out and money is tight Lee is the best way to go.
    They tend to be decent machines for the most part,my only complaint is the 2 year warranty. Not a fan of their hand priming tool as I went thru 2 of them section that held the shell holder snapped right off. Who knows maybe the OP will stick to his Lee or at some point decides he wants to go to a "beefier" O frame he'll not be out a lot of cash on the Lee and he can put in reserve in case there's a problem with the larger press.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are constantly changing out dies...find a press that allows that.

My Co-Ax has that feature and I do not need to readjust dies...just slip them in and out...but it is not cheap. I assume any of the "bushing" type presses like the Hornady will do the same.

Ignore most of what has been posted and address YOUR needs.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If you are constantly changing out dies...find a press that allows that.

My Co-Ax has that feature and I do not need to readjust dies...just slip them in and out...but it is not cheap. I assume any of the "bushing" type presses like the Hornady will do the same.

Ignore most of what has been posted and address YOUR needs.
    Honestly thats the best advice. Take a look at how you reload then look for ways to streamline your process and speed it up.

Compare tools and look for process improves. I dont care about name brand. I do care about reviews and you can easily spot a biased opinion from a genuine.

If price is your main concern look for sales and/or post a want to buy add. When you do upgrade, keep that Lee single stage because you can then dedicate it to a strep help stream line your process or dedicate it to a station in your batch reloading process.

One thing i do love about a turret press. Is when running it in progressive mode i get a complete round thats ready to fire. Sometimes during batch style reloading i get to a step where i am tired and dont feel comfortable stopping (like when i batch charge cases). I cant stop till i am done. Well if i was on my turret press, i can just go to bed because that round is ready to be sent. Next reloading session just run a few rounds to make sure everthing is adjusted right and then it is away it goes.

After using my Lee Classic Turret in both modes. I really do love the auto index, but still get nudge it with me finger to check for allignment and most often pop it into detent. Not much of a hassel. I realize i would be happy with any of the turret presses though. Even the 8 station turret press makes me wish i could buy it for the imaginesld uses i could dream of.

Each press for my bench has its intended purpose like any other tool. Precision work still gets done on the single stage as does load development. Proven loads and more mass accurate ammo is done on the turret.

What ever you choose learn to work with its quirks and use it as directed.

Yeah, i still use my hand press also. I love crimping rounds with it as well as seating bullets. I broke mine and still use. Its strong enough to stick a case in a die lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I did not mention the Coax since I do not have one but it is touted as an excellent press and I have been wanting one for some time.

Some folks hate the on press priming but I prime off the press. Some dislike the shell holder plate change over for some more odd cases the universal unit does not work for. I believe there is a conversion that minimizes the little spring loaded pieces from flying around during change over?

Three44s

Boolit Master
    None of this applies to equipment junkies
    The equipment that works well is very dependent on what you need to get accomplished and how adaptable you are in the process and for many budget . There is no doubt that for many specialized tasks you try to pick the best tool for that application you don’t need a 350.00 coax press to size bullets or load 3 or 4 hundred 45 colts a year a 37.00 press would do it just as well you will probably never have a problem with it , and the first 2 or 3 box’s of cartridges pay for it.
    Unless I had a special purpose in mind I would not buy a press without a primer feed
    for most applications I want to prime on the press YMMV. Priming seems to be the biggest common issue on progressive presses if you have to stop in the middle of a session and sort it out it defeats the reason for having a progressive , and greatly increases the chance of a squib or double charge , these problems much less frequent the more you spend. An exception to this are the Lee progressives the auto breech lock pro is the easiest to deal with primers then the pro 1000 then the loadmaster.
    I would probably not buy another loadmaster for this reason it had to be kept really clean and was time consuming to get running well but it was fast and I liked having 5 stations . The pro 1000 was easier to run smooth but only has 3 stations it loaded many 1000s of rounds for 4 shooters. The auto breech lock pro is by far the easiest to control the primers on you can see the primer in the cup ,it is the lowest output but still gives you a loaded round each stroke . The breech lock bushings work well but I wish it used the 4 hole turrets I would buy it again. The 22.00 case feeder and the collator work well on all three once you have the habit of catching the occasional upside down case . There is no doubt the Hornady LNL and dillons are bettter built presses I could afford any of these , and if offered a Dillon 550 for any where near the same price as the ABLP set up for the 5 calibers I load on it ,It would be Dillon for me.
    All that said for general reloading single stage/turret I like the LCT better than any thing else out there. And one more thought on warranty I can buy 2 or 3 LCT presses for less than any other turret and none have the combination of features that I like.
    When I bought mine I had read of some small plastic parts that might fail I bought 2 or three of each at 1.00 or 2 each many 1000s of rounds later none have failed my ham handed buddy has broken several. (it is his favorite press to)
    Lee equipment requires different set up than the Lyman and RCBS stuff I started with for example the safety prime will drive you nuts if you don’t follow the directions that come with the Lee sizer die , you need to adjust from the directions.
    Don't reengineer the press. They will work

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post

Interesting, my brother did just get rid of a Dillon machine because it was more trouble than it was worth and their customer support was bad. He's an avid bullseye shooter and decided to go with a pretty basic turret set up of some kind for his .45 ACP loading.

Rockchucker does 99% of it for me, and I have a couple of other single stages that are going to be set up for specific functions. I did recently pick up an old Lyman All American turret and it will be dedicated to .45 Colt in all likelihood, maybe .38 Special.

Anybody who says something as stupid as "the only real press is a Dillon" has more money than sense.
    True Turret, Tool Head, or 'C'/'O' frame, Co-Axial, etc.,
    Manual progressive, self indexing progressive, partly or fully automated,
    How the press 'Runs' (after initial design/manufacture) is entirely up to the mechanical abilities of the end user.

*IF* the press was poorly designed or executed, it takes superior mechanical skills to keep it running.
    If the basic design & execution were sound, then it's 100% up to the owner/operator to keep it 'Tuned' and running.
    Everything wears, and ANY moving part will need to be adjusted from time to time... Just facts of a mechanical world.

My Dillons, from SBDs that load pistol ammo, to 650s that load common rifle ammo, to the 1050s I use for case processing can & do work.
    They aren't industrial machines like my Camdex, but they also don't run $54,000 new, or take a year to get...

To declare ALL progressive machines 'Junk' is arbitrary at best, particularly when so many people get the very same machines to run well with little or no effort.
    Some people will get an occasional 'Lemon' since Dillon machines are mass produced,
    But since I do some tuning/repairs for the local gun shop (Dillon dealer) it's usually a lack of mechanical abilities.

----------

While I started with a used Rock Chucker 45 years ago, and still own/use,
    My first new purchase was a Lee 'Turret' (tool head) press,and I still use it every time I load.
    After 40 years of using a Lee 'Turret' press, I can solidly say it's reliable and accurate enough for most common reloading. It's not exactly a bench shooter choice, but if you can tune it, it will make match grade ammo, and it cranks out common range/hunting ammo with little or no fussing around.

The Dillon 650 will crank out match grade ammo at up to 1,000 rounds an hour if you stay on it, and the estimated 650 rounds an hour is without working yourself to death.
    It also rarely fails to make a high quality round.

My 'Progressive' Dillon SBD in .45 ACP has loaded around 400,000 rounds in the 20 years I've owned it, and it rarely fails. Dillon customer service has rebuilt it twice without complaint or cost to me, so I can't say anything bad about Dillon customer service.

I've owned two different Lee Loadmasters, and both would not run more than a couple hundred rounds without issues. These I don't recommend in the strongest terms!
    I beat one off the bench with a hammer, the other I keep as an example to new reloaders of what NOT to buy.

It's all about your volume (or the budget), some companies just have one or two items that work exceptionally well, with Lee it's the factory crimp (collet) die and the 'Turret' (tool head) press.
    I'm a big thumbs up on both because of longevity, function & price.

Banned

"I've owned two different Lee Loadmasters, and both would not run more than a couple hundred rounds without issues. These I don't recommend in the strongest terms!"

The Loadmaster can run real good, but not stock, my opinion. Many people are using it just fine. There is a lot of info on how to get them humming.
    I have more presses than most and less than some. There are a lot of great choices. I am thankful for that.
    For the $$$ it is hard to beat the Lee Precision Classic Turret
    Single stage, a Rock Chucker makes sense
    First progressive, I like the 550s
    If I could only have one press, it would be the LCT
    Set up the turrets and swap them out
    I do not use the auto-index advance, but that is a great feature
    You can always buy more presses

Boolit Master
    Yup JeepHammer high production work is a severe test compared to some one like me that needs 1 to 2 hundred rounds a week I may load 500 auto pistol round in a session but I don’t need to.
    I was a mechanic for many years and the tools I recommended for home maintenance were not allways the same I used commercially same for tractor implements, some tasks require the best and some don’t.

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen endless videos on how to deal with 'Problems' on the Loadmaster.
    The fact there is endless videos of how to fix endless problems is testimony to the fact they have endless problems...
    I can't 'Recommend' one to anyone that isn't mechanically inclined and willing to take on those problems, and I'm sure not going to recommend one to a novice as a first progressive!

Too many flimsy parts, too many non-captured linkages that can stick/not function, too much plastic for my taste...
    CONSTANT tuning, hand lapping to get things flat/true, too many springs that short or long return parts, just too many 'Glitch' points for me.

By the time you add the revolving case feeder tubes, shaker that allows inverted cases, etc. You can have a Dillon SBD that works nearly 100% of the time with no 'Fiddling'.

I want to make ammo, not work on the machine and wait for replacement parts endlessly...
    That was my experience with two different Loadmasters, and I own a machine shop, work on mechanical devices every day...

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Yup JeepHammer high production work is a severe test compared to some one like me that needs 1 to 2 hundred rounds a week I may load 500 auto pistol round in a session but I don’t need to.
    I was a mechanic for many years and the tools I recommended for home maintenance were not allways the same I used commercially same for tractor implements, some tasks require the best and some don’t.
    That's why I can recommend the Lee 'Turret' (tool head) press.
    40+ years of service, different caliber dies in tool heads already set up, quick caliber changes, an auto index that works and doesn't cost a fortune...
    Captured tool head frame so no stretching/opening up/misalignment from the frame.

It's the 'Every Man' reloader that doesn't bust the bank.
    They are eBay for cheap used and since the design hasn't changed much in 40+ years, parts are still available when it does wear.

When you get big, stubborn, thick walled brass the RCBS Rock Chucker is hard to beat, and they are EVERYWHERE if you are on a tight budget.
    It's as simple as a dead blow hammer, and if you break one you are doing more than I have on one.
    Since it's a swage press, it's overbuilt for a simple brass bender press, so hard to damage/break.
    My only complaint is slow to change/set up dies on the older ones without the 'Breach Lock' adapters.

I bought mine used, and it's going to outlive me since I clean/lubricate it...

The Lee 'Turret' and RCBS Rock Chucker are serious tools that do the two different jobs reloaders want done, and that anyone owning several presses values more as time goes on, they simply WORK.
    Last edited by JeepHammer; 07-27-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Many comments here that reflect the same sentiments that I have and reinforce what I stated way back in post #5. Much of which is that many of these presses and designs have been around for almost 50 years with little to no changes made to them. That is saying something about the tools we use and the people that design and manufacture them. Whether it be Bonanza, Dillon, Hornady, Lee, Lyman or RCBS. Each and every one of us may have a preference and another brand that we absolutely detest and we have a right to that opinion. Sometimes it just comes down to when should that opinion be shared or kept to ourselves!

I have also stated that not everyone Absolutely Needs a progressive press to reload just as for some a single stage press is very laborious and tedious. Myself as an example, I only load moderate amounts of pistol only ammunition and for me that single stage press is very Laborious and Tedious when trying to do 200 to 500 at a time. At the same time there is no way I would ever need a Dillon 1050 or even a 650 were I could easily load a couple of years worth of ammunition in an afternoon. Do I really need to lay out $1k+ dollars plus caliber changes to load only 1-2k rounds per year? Not in my mind.

Personal experiences, I own and use 4 different presses. Of those 3 were purchased used as were all the die sets I have. Which again goes back to the sentiment that this stuff is over built to begin with and will last a couple of lifetimes if taken care of and not abused or used for something other than what it was designed for.

Like everything else there are different levels of build, design and intended use. Tools have this, cars have this, boats have this appliances have this and even homes have this. From entry level to the cream of the crop. There is nothing different with this operating model for reloading equipment than there is for anything else man makes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    So I might be on the market for another press soon. For now I have a Lee single stage press that came in the beginner kit they sell. It serves me well! I was wondering what the differences are between brands? For example all single stage presses look pretty much the same, so Why do some cost alot more then others? Are some sturdier, have tight tolerances? Whats the big deal with expensive brands?
    The difference is between presses is by designs, not brands. Any press designs that look the same are pretty much the same and the tolerances all seem to be about the same. The big deal with large and costly presses is snob appeal because cost and hype are are the poorest guides to usable "quality" we can have.

Fact is virtually any press on the market will do all normal reloading tasks, including case reforming, quite well, including yours. Yeah, massive iron presses are "stronger" but it's to no avail. Thing is, once a press is sufficent for what you're doing no more strength is needed and having "more" serves no purpose.

Fact is, and howls to the contrary aside, your Lee Challenger press is quite strong and is very precisely machined. Keep that toggle block cross bolt tight and your press will serve you well. I can assure you that getting a bigger (and more costly) press will not, of itself, make you any better ammo.

BUT, if you want a stronger press anyway, look at Lee's steel and cast iron Classic Cast. It's big and strong enough to load .50 BMG and can honestly swage jacketed bullets; my Rock Chucker is not up to that. The C.C. handles spent primers cleanly and the lever is fully adjustable, both are very nice things to have and neither is true of my RC.

Bottom line, I've been loading since 1965. I'm an old reloader with lots of colors on my bench but I'm not a brand snob. I don't have silly blind loyalty for or against inanimate devices; I buy my new tools by features, not color or price or web hype. So, IF I had to replace my green RC tomorrow there would soon be a big red Lee C.C. on my bench because, currently, it's the better press in its design class. (It's what forced RCBS to produce their new bigger presses! )

Alright, well after reading alot of these a turret press seems to be good for me. A Lee Economy Turret is 125$ but it looks like it has an awkward frame and handle... The Classic Turret is 165$ but looks really nice!

Boolit Master
    If you are liking the Lee turrets go with the classic. I really like mine and you have compound leverage to show for the added price.

Speaking of price, I paid around 80 bucks when they first came out. You might want to shop around. I found a barely used one for 100 for a friend from another friend a year ago.

Enjoy

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Alright, well after reading alot of these a turret press seems to be good for me. A Lee Economy Turret is 125$ but it looks like it has an awkward frame and handle... The Classic Turret is 165$ but looks really nice!
    Check prices at some of the cast boolit sponsors
    Titan and midsouth shooters are 2 I have used you will be glad you did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post

Nobody wants you to use a progressive but your feelings about them should not deter others. For consumer progressives Dillon is the gold standard. Too many people have too much success with them. I have always found their customer service to be exemplary as have many here. I've had RCBS single stage presses since 1981 and Dillons since 1991 with no significant problems from any and excellent customer service from both companies. Every friend that has owned a progressive that was not a Dillon told me that they wish they had bought Dillon after using mine.

A Rock Chucker is more trouble than it's worth if I need to load a few hundred rounds. A Dillon is FAR more trouble than it's worth if I want to load 60 or fewer rounds. If I load more than 60, I'm probably loading hundreds.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Whats the big deal with expensive brands?
    The answer to that question is the same for pretty much everything, the ones that work the best, with the most reliability have more value and bring higher prices.

If everyone could get a Lee loadmaster to run like this.

The other brands would die due to their much higher prices but that simply is not the case.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    If you are liking the Lee turrets go with the classic. I really like mine and you have compound leverage to show for the added price.

Speaking of price, I paid around 80 bucks when they first came out. You might want to shop around. I found a barely used one for 100 for a friend from another friend a year ago.

Enjoy

Three44s
    He is in Canada
    Plus, those are Canadian dollars he is quoating

Kev18 best wishes and good luck to ya.
    The new Lee Value Turret Press is a recent redesign and should be an improvement over the older model. The Classic Cast model is much more robust and in my opinion would be a better choice of the two because of the fact that you are reloading rifle as well as pistol rounds.

Next, these presses really do perform best when used with Lee powder thru expander dies and a Lee Auto powder measure. As long as you do not use stick type powders. But if you do use them about any of the small powder funnels will slip right into the Lee die to aide in charging cases.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast