MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: New MP mould

New MP mould

I bought a MP 4 cavity mould from a member here and it arrived on Monday. What a beautiful piece of brass. It's a .359 Hammer. I heat cycled it 3 times and today I had a few hours before work so I heated my lead in my bottom pour Lee pot and placed the mould on the hot plate and let it warm up for 30 minutes.
    The first 5-6 pours were throw backs but soon I was getting pretty good boolits. The hotter the mould got the better they looked. I was imagining a very steep learning curve with this mould because of some of the posts I've read but it casted way better than I expected. I'm looking forward to casting a big pile with this mould.
    My melt temperature was between 675 and 700 but the mould was hot. 50-50 alloy. I may need to invest in more brass moulds.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190723_072212-2124x1195sml.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	245766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190724_201831-1195x2124sml.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	245767

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I love brass molds. They make nice boolits for me, and usually with ease.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I'm also fan of brass molds. Easy to cast and working very well. And to me MP molds are low cost because i'm in EU so one good reason to invest few more

Yeah it was much easier than several of the moulds I have. I'm impressed with the quality, it all fits together perfectly if you know what I mean. It's a little heavy but I hardly noticed after seeing the boolits it was making. Next session I'm going to go for at least a full pot. Thanks to this forum everything went ok for my first session with this mould.

They look great! Even so, do yourself a favor and go to mp-molds.com. They have a couple tutorials on casting and powder coating that gives some good tips and tricks, and they are explained in a way that even I could understand. I still refer back to it from time to time.

I did have a quick look at their site but didn't have time to really absorb much but tomorrow for sure. I do powder coat most of my boolits and I will give these guys the treatment also. I've only tried the one set of hollow point tips so far and I wonder if some are harder to cast with or are they all basically the same? I guess I'll find out in the next few weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190726_193854-1494x2656.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	245878
    Powder coated them tonight with Smokes powder. Good coverage and passed smash test. Will size them over the weekend.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    My two mp molds are the best i have wish i could afford more.

Boolit Master
    Fantastic molds.

In addition to wash/heat cycles I smoked the hp pins a little with Bic lighter. Bullets just rain out the mold.

Boolit Master

Started out with two in oddball calibers (32 and 475) years ago, now I`ve got over a dozen with two more on order. After the hassels with undersized Lymann molds and sending them back to the manufacturer, your money ahead and hassle free. NOE is simular (good quality).

The craftsmanship of this mould is undeniable and just looking at it gives a sense of satisfaction. I have had mostly good luck with all the moulds I've bought in the past three years. They've been from Lee, Lyman and rcbs. When I was still in the truck repair business the majority of my tools were Snap-on with some Mac also and I took pride in my work and tools. So maybe it's just self satisfaction that has me enjoying this new brass mould. And I'm not saying that to do good work you need expensive tools but in my case it makes it more enjoyable and I do think the boolits are better looking!

The one brass mold I used to have had an issue with tinning. You guys ever run into this?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7