RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full magazine or Half magazine

Boolit Master

For some reason that half magazine Winchester rifle in Paul Newman's movie "Hombre" tripped my trigger and I have wanted a half magazine in a large caliber since I saw it. One day I will have one--maybe. james

Boolit Buddy

I like full mags, for the capacity and handling. loading many shots without having to fool with spare mags is sometimes just the ticket.

Boolit Master

In the American West it truly was a matter of defense of self and close associates - well into the 1900's in certain places.

By modern, use-of-AR-15 techniques, Nelson King's loading gate on the right side of the gun is ergonomically wrong. On the left side a right hander could stuff rounds in with the left hand while still keeping the gun in his shoulder with the right. My point being is that Winchesters are fast to empty, but slow to load, and a "frank exchange of ideas" between was a common enough occurrence that capacity would have been a major selling point.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Bigslug;4705526]In the American West it truly was a matter of defense of self and close associates - well into the 1900's in certain places.

By modern, use-of-AR-15 techniques, Nelson King's loading gate on the right side of the gun is ergonomically wrong. On the left side a right hander could stuff rounds in with the left hand while still keeping the gun in his shoulder with the right.

I would enjoy watching that with a ten pound 76 or 86 long barrel and all

Boolit Buddy
    I am one of those that appreciates the Button/Half and 2/3rds magazines and have a few rifles that are configured so.

Model 1894 in 30 WCF that dates from 1899:

Model 64A in 30WCF dates from early 1970’s:

Uberti repro Model 1876 in 50/95 WCF:

Model 92 in 25/20 dates from 1909:

Boolit Grand Master

I was taught to carry 3 or 4 in the magazine and a few in the pocket if needed. Since we don't have any bad guys to fight off any more a full magazine isn't really necessary. Even in my car gun when I carried a 357 Rossi to match my 357 revolver I only had 5 in the magazine unless I knew I was going into trouble. I never had to point the rifle at a bad guy but did finish off deer, cattle, dogs and coons. I had to carry an AR in the last few years on patrol but never liked it as much as the old lever gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    Never owned a half mag, never cared for the look of them. They just look, incomplete.
    Hard to disagree with that...
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Mold
    I recently bought a '92 carbine that had been shortened for whatever reason. I thought of returning it to its original state, but a new tube or even a used one would look too different from the rest of the rifle. To me it doesn't look correct, but I can live with it.

Boolit Master
    Was the typical Australian of the time less in need of food or protection than the typical American? I wouldn’t think so.

Kinda like an ar15 with a 5 round magazine, don't look right, don't make no sense.

ATC, that first rifle, winchester 94, is a nice piece of eye candy.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 08-13-2019 at 10:24 PM.

My observation is that it mostly follows logic.

Most people just plink with 22s so might as well as make that tube as long as possible. My 24" Marlin 39A holds 19 rounds. Love it when I am just casually nailing the bull/can/golfball over and over again while guys with there semis and bolties are reloading their stupid box mags. And when going for squirrel, all I need is that loaded mag. No loose ammo or mags to lose.

Every 32-20 Marlin 1894 I've seen has been a half mag. I surmise this is because they have long barrels (usually 24") to maximize velocity for that small game round. The long tube would not only add considerable weight and effect balance adversely for most people, it would be unnecessary for that kind of animal. And such a rifle isn't really a great defense platform.

With the shorter barreled pistol caliber carbines and even with 30-30s, 35Rem, 38-55, 375, 444, 45-70 big game rifles, the extra ammo in the tube isn't really going to impact balance or weight comparatively, and many users of such arms are probably going to appreciate the capacity, particularly the ones concerned with defense.

I personally appreciate that everything be optimal for the design, so I like full length mag tubes.

Boolit Mold
    In another thread, I mentioned I had .92 with a shorter tube. At first, I looked for a longer/original 19 1/4" tube. The end of the barrel has the groove and small hole for the bottom screw so putting an original style tube on would be easy. But then, I decided that a replacement tube would not match the rest of rifle. So, I had to make a choice between a goofy (to me) short tube or a goofy looking long tube. I decided leaving the short tube was cheaper than replacing it.

The logic of a short tube still escapes me.

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!

Unhappy

Maybe "Curious Shooter" has it.
    Most lever guns in OZ are in 32-20 next 25-20 and then 44-40. Bigger calibres do not really appear very often at all.
    They are generally full rifles and almost always half mag. The carbines you see are far fewer but full mag.
    So perhaps it is a matter of opting for a longer sight radius over larger mag capacity for whatever reason.
    The other reason may be that the pioneers here were rougher on there gear so the full tube was prone to damage or breakage.
    Or the added expense of the full tube was just unnecessary. Most civilian bolt rifles, until recently, were 5 shots. (if it ain't dead in 5-6 shots then it's gone).
    Having said that I have 9 levers & pumps with tubes and except for the Marlin 39A they are half or 3/4. Including a Remington 12, Marlin 27S, a new 336 XLR and an 1895.
    Why do Marlin put a 3/4 on the XLR and 1895?

The XLRs have long barrels...like I said before, the longer the barrel the more adversely the tube will affect balance.

Personally I rarely top off my magazines. In fact, the way many mag springs are these days (excessively strong) you can hardly get the full load in there.

Another thing to consider. My experiments with Marlin 1894s have led me to conclude that the mag tube can only adversely impact accuracy. Perhaps the thinking was that a shorter tube would be less bad than a long one and on the cartridges where accuracy was at a premium (32-20, 25-20) it made sense to chop the tube just in front of the forend.

Boolit Master
    Bazoo
    Yep agreed our forefathers knew running out of ammo when you needed it the most usually meant you died an gave your guns to those that killed you. When the 10 shot lever gun came to be most bad folk were very careful not to mess with the man with one! Now I currently own a half mag 1886 in 45-70. My only half mag lever. And no I have no problem with it being a half mag. Crap if 6 rounds of 45-70 can't get it done I'm in big trouble !
    Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 09-04-2019 at 03:25 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    In 'Merica, more is always better! Especially when surrounded by Apaches. There were more than a couple large critters that can put a hurt on a fellow, too.

Boolit Master
    some random (very) thoughts on magazines

first off I dont like the look of shorties near as much as the full magazine

secondly I have spent 30 odd weeks over four visits hanging out with rural folk in the US and considerable fun was had plinking with a variety of guns including a 500 S&W

now ... I reckon the average aussie is way more inclined to make his shots count than his northern cousin who in turn seems to really enjoy blazing away ...could be that the cost of ammo plays a part in this - aussies pretty much pay double for guns, ammo, gas

another ... my experience with lever guns is that the short magazine guns are less likely to have an accuracy problem as they warm up under fire - dont walk up the target

they were probably cheaper to purchase.

those old guns were used hard in our country particularly in the north - no safe queens in queensland

a good percentage of the 44/40 full magazine guns started life as guard guns in prisons

lastly .. the main danger in our landscape is little things that bite you - not big critters that eat you - deadly poison snakes and spiders - instead of bears and moose - we never had the need of heavy calibre rifles to gather food or keep us safe - a 32/20 over most of our landmass was entirely adequate at the time -- that said an encounter with an angry taipan in queenslands grasslands is at least as big a threat to your life as a cranky grizzly in the rockies.

reivertom gets the last word "In 'Merica, more is always better!" .....its a national characteristic - an american farmer will brag of a hundred bushel wheat crop - his aussie mate will drawl "yeah we got three ton" .....big number versus little number to say the same thing - (actually the aussie wins that one)

I just believe they were the lightweight option of the day back then. Hunters seeking to lighten their load could buy a half magazine gun since few rounds were needed for hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I to liked the look of the half magazine in HOMBRE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12