Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First shots with my new Shiloh

Boolit Buddy
    Woody is a hellova fella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Woody makes excellent range boxes and line boxes for shooters. His workmanship is great and he supports regional shoots with donation of his products. I have one of his large shooting boxes that I won at his trapdoor challenge in GA several years ago.

I called Woody several years ago when I discovered 30,000lbs of lead radiation bricks at a salvage yard in IN. He had told me that he was having difficulty buying scrap lead because the scrap yards would not sell to individuals. I bought 6,000 lbs. of the lead and Woody with his connections was responsible for getting probably more than 10,000 additional lbs of the lead into shooters hands. Together we got more than half of the lead sold for the scrap yard and put to good use with BPCR shooters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    What would be a typical diameter of a pre patched boolit for a 45/70?
    I use bullets from 0.443" to 0.446" depending on bore diameter and paper thickness.

Chris.

Vendor Sponsor

John, I was able to get in on some of that brick lead too - good clean Pb. So, you were the connection!

ian45662 - sorry I got excited and hijacked your thread.

Your rifle and first very accurate loads were the topic and I did not mean to detour and make less of it.
    You clearly have been down the PP bullet road with other rifles to be that good from the get-go!

I have shot PP bullets a lot, mostly in Creedmoor matches, but I have never exceeded my ability with GG bullets to put my shots in the middle, so I have for the most part stuck with the GG.

Shoot some more good targets and post them.

-CW
    Chill Wills

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    John, I was able to get in on some of that brick lead too - good clean Pb. So, you were the connection!

ian45662 - sorry I got excited and hijacked your thread.

Your rifle and first very accurate loads were the topic and I did not mean to detour and make less of it.
    You clearly have been down the PP bullet road with other rifles to be that good from the get-go!

I have shot PP bullets a lot, mostly in Creedmoor matches, but I have never exceeded my ability with GG bullets to put my shots in the middle, so I have for the most part stuck with the GG.

Shoot some more good targets and post them.

-CW
    You guys really should make some videos of your shooting. I am stuck in the house and love to watch good shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey buddy no need to apologize for anything. I don’t mind. I am a silhouette shooter mostly. I have only shot one Creedmoor type match. That was back in March at oak ridge. Since I started using paper patch for silhouette my scores have gone up but this year I have struggled a little bit. Hopefully I can turn things around and before the season ends. If not then oh well. There is always next season. It’s fun anyways. Always nice to see people like woody and deadeye Bly

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    You guys really should make some videos of your shooting. I am stuck in the house and love to watch good shooting.
    I would make some videos and it is a really good way to promote the BPCR shooting sports - BUT, I do not own anything that would make video recordings. I am stuck in the 1800's and take pictures on glass plates with a black cloth over my head
    I am sorry you are stuck inside. Maybe I will look into getting some kind of affordable video camera as it would be good all round.
    Chill Wills

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I would make some videos and it is a really good way to promote the BPCR shooting sports - BUT, I do not own anything that would make video recordings. I am stuck in the 1800's and take pictures on glass plates with a black cloth over my head
    I am sorry you are stuck inside. Maybe I will look into getting some kind of affordable video camera as it would be good all round.
    I use old technology also. Got me a Flip Video Ultra (used, they quit making them about 10 years ago) You can get them on eBay for $25 or less. And a cheap tripod and you are ready for videoing the range.

Boolit Master
    I made this video of shooting paper patches at Raton a couple of years ago. It's not very exciting but the purpose was to show what it is like to shoot paper patches in competition - that it is not a big scramble or very difficult if you are organized.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ian - Looks good @ 200yds. Stretch it out to see what longer groups are going to be
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I'd say you got yourself one fine shootin' iron there, ten shot moa group right out of the gate! Good shooting, nice rifle!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    A few weeks ago I shot it at some turkey silhouettes. I did this with the same load I shot this 200 yard group with. Once I got the sight setting it kept hitting them. I have high hopes for this one. After that I had a weekend without a shoot so I took what rounds I had left and shot this group.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd say it's a good load for sure and for certain, hope you can improve on it but I almost doubt it, and that's a good thing, nothing but respect and praise.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Ian;
    Excellent shooting and reloading! Dern fine work, for sure!!!

Keep on shootin',
    Dale53

ian that looks like a winner for sure. The barrel looks like a standard light???
    It looks like I better do some practicing before I head to Friendship if your using that rifle

Boolit Buddy
    full heavy barrel. I have not decided which rifle to bring to friendship. It will be either this one or the cpa. That is assuming I don’t have to work.

Boolit Buddy
    With sights the rifle weighs in right at 12 pounds

Banned

and here i thought the NMLRA/friendship was strictly trad muzzleloaders.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    and here i thought the NMLRA/friendship was strictly trad muzzleloaders.
    They have been holding two day regional type bpcrs matches along with monthly bpcrs and 22 bpcr matches for several years now. It also looks as tho they will be holding a 1000 yard bptr match at Camp Atterbury this Sept, along with some bpcrs matches at the tail end of this falls NMLRA national match.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes.... they have been doing silhouette matches for some time. Really nice facilities.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast