PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First shots with my new Shiloh

Boolit Buddy

First shots with my new Shiloh

Got my Shiloh in a month or so ago. Finally got a chance to put on paper at 200. Very happy so far. Maybe the easiest load development I have ever done. This is a 45/70 with a 16 twist barrel. A 1.51” elliptical bullet that weighs 536 grains when cast from 14:1. 84 grains of Swiss 1.5. Cases were stretched and trimmed to a length of 2.110” long. Federal large pistol match primer with over primer wad. We have a 5 and a 10 shot group. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That is excellent Ian!

Chris.

Way cool!

I like to see people get what they want.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

Very nice!

Boolit Master

Very nice!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Mold
    That's some fine work.

Moderator Emeritus

Great job and looks interesting.

Boolit Master
    Great shooting! And loading, too, of course.

Do you have the regular chamber or the paper-patch only?

Boolit Master

I’m jealous.
    Great shooting!

Bent Ramrod can you explain the difference in the regular vs PP chambers please?

Boolit Buddy
    I was extremely excited looking through the spotting scope. My wife was with me and she thought something was wrong. . This is the standard chamber that Shiloh offers.

Banned

Most Excellent! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	508 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	245795

Boolit Master
    The regular chamber fits grease-groove diameter (or larger) boolits loaded into sized and neck-expanded shells in the normal manner. When the round is fired, the shell mouth has room to expand and release the boolit into the leade and then down the barrel. Paper-patched loads can be fired in such chambers, but generally some sort of mouth reduction is necessary to keep the boolit from falling out of the shell.

A paper-patch chamber allows for a mechanical fit of full-length sized shells, necks not expanded, with bore-diameter paper-patched boolits inserted 1/8” or so in the mouths of the shells. Most of the boolit rests on the rifling lands, with little or no leade ahead of the chamber, and no room for shell mouth expansion. The shell does not need resizing after firing, and the boolit can be inserted in the shell with the fingers on reloading. Ideally, the fit will be such that no mouth reduction is necessary to keep the boolit from falling out with normal handling. However, such a chamber will not allow chambering of grease-groove ammunition.

Theoretically, it would be easier to work up a paper-patch load in a paper-patch chamber, but as ian45662 has demonstrated, the regular chamber does fine.

Boolit Mold
    What cartridge box is that? Awesome groups for 200!

Banned
    That is what my targets look like at 50 yards ...If I'm having a good day!

Banned
    What would be a typical diameter of a pre patched boolit for a 45/70?

Boolit Buddy
    The ammo box was made from a fella named woody. You can get them from the Shiloh website. My bullets are .445 before patching. My highwall really likes these bullets. Looks like this Shiloh will also. I think my cpa does also but I am still working out the bugs on it a little. After the last match though I think we have it figured out. Need to shoot another match and make sure but I am pretty anxious to try this Shiloh now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    The regular chamber fits grease-groove diameter (or larger) boolits loaded into sized and neck-expanded shells in the normal manner. When the round is fired, the shell mouth has room to expand and release the boolit into the leade and then down the barrel. Paper-patched loads can be fired in such chambers, but generally some sort of mouth reduction is necessary to keep the boolit from falling out of the shell.

A paper-patch chamber allows for a mechanical fit of full-length sized shells, necks not expanded, with bore-diameter paper-patched boolits inserted 1/8” or so in the mouths of the shells. Most of the boolit rests on the rifling lands, with little or no leade ahead of the chamber, and no room for shell mouth expansion. The shell does not need resizing after firing, and the boolit can be inserted in the shell with the fingers on reloading. Ideally, the fit will be such that no mouth reduction is necessary to keep the boolit from falling out with normal handling. However, such a chamber will not allow chambering of grease-groove ammunition.

Theoretically, it would be easier to work up a paper-patch load in a paper-patch chamber, but as ian45662 has demonstrated, the regular chamber does fine.

Great explanation sir! Thank you!

Vendor Sponsor

Those are smoking good first groups! It will be a good rifle as in my experience, rifles that shoot well from the start are not fussy.
    Makes me smile!

Yup, I saw that Woody box in that first picture. Woody has been my shooting partner since 2000. He is a good man and everyone deserves one of his nice cartridge boxes.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Chill wills do you shoot with him at friendship Indiana?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ian45662 View Post
    Chill wills do you shoot with him at friendship Indiana?

No. We lived in adjoining counties (Eagle and Routt) in Western Colorado and shot the matches in Rifle, Colorado and east of Denver at the Golden Gun Club before he moved to his current address. I saw him two weeks earlier this month at the Whittington Center championship matches. We have continued to shoot together at least once a year at the national matches and sometimes at other locations too. We were paired up in 2009 when I won the NRA National Creedmoor Championship. He is a good friend and all round good guy.
    It sounds like you shoot matches at Friendship, a place I hope to go - maybe next year.

Michael Rix
    Chill Wills

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast