Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Did I Get a Good Deal?

Boolit Mold

Did I Get a Good Deal?

Last weekend I met a fisherman on Craigslist getting out of lead casting. He had 140 pounds of ingots that were 50/50 wheel weights & pure roofing lead. I got it along with a dipper, deep cast iron skillet, and a turkey fryer for $110. I am new to casting and didn't have any of this beforehand except for some lead and a lee bottom pour pot. How did I do? I'm trying to post a picture but it won't let me, so here's an Imgur link.

https://imgur.com/gallery/rTaFFCG

Boolit Master

I'd say you did better than just good...now, start casting!

Boolit Master
    If you had ordered the casting alloy from a vendor you would have about a dollar a pound and 14.35 shipping for each of three USPS flat rate boxes. As long as you are happy, who else is there to please?

Banned
    Welcome to CB.

I hope you were wearing a mask when you paid and left

PS use the (BBCode (message boards & forums)) on IMGUR to have the pictures displayed on this forum.

Boolit Mold
    That's good to hear haha. I'll have some free time this weekend, so hopefully I can start casting some 200gr SWC boolits with my Lee 2 cavity! I've been reading that this mixture is perfect for 45 ACP as long as you don't push it too hard. I was thinking about water quenching to get a little more hardness out of them.

Boolit Master
    Considering yuck can sell wheel weight ingots for a buck a pound, 50/50 alloy maybe a little more. I’d say ya made a great deal! Now get casting!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Welcome to CB.

I hope you were wearing a mask when you paid and left

PS use the (BBCode (message boards & forums)) on IMGUR to have the pictures displayed on this forum.
    Yeah, I pretty much got it at 50 cents a pound, so it felt pretty good. It looks like you guys are just confirming I got a good deal haha. I'm definitely smiling now!

Boolit Master
    I add 1% pewter/tin to that exact mix for my 200gr SWC in my 45acp 1911. The 1% pewter/tin helps with casting at a little lower temp. You can raise your temp to around 715-725degF and cast with what you got to get satisfactory fillout. Practice, practice, practice. If it don't work, remelt. If it does, have fun.

When I started it cost me around 37 cents/lb with me processing my own ingots. After a while I got it to 27 cents/lb.

Good Luck

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, you got a good deal! Just the lead was worth that.

You got a really good deal.

But,,, you'll put your eye out kid,,,,,,,,,,,, better let on of us take it from here.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

I've never bought bullet metal in my life.......and I've been casting for almost 50 years!

Banned
    If you are happy then it was a good deal but really it was

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I add 1% pewter/tin to that exact mix for my 200gr SWC in my 45acp 1911. The 1% pewter/tin helps with casting at a little lower temp. You can raise your temp to around 715-725degF and cast with what you got to get satisfactory fillout. Practice, practice, practice. If it don't work, remelt. If it does, have fun.

When I started it cost me around 37 cents/lb with me processing my own ingots. After a while I got it to 27 cents/lb.

Good Luck
    Jsizemore, I don't have any pewter or tin laying around. I've been looking and went to Goodwill today but to no avail. I really don't want to buy it online if I can help it...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Jsizemore, I don't have any pewter or tin laying around. I've been looking and went to Goodwill today but to no avail. I really don't want to buy it online if I can help it...
    In a pinch, antique shops will have a few pieces that work out to $10/lb which is about what you'd pay for tin in one form or another on this forum.
    Once you have a little and no longer NEED to acquire tin, you'll soon find yourself paying $1-$4/lb.
    Research whatever pieces you find. For example, I have a five piece set I payed $0.50 each for. These pieces go for close to $20 each on eBay and the antique shops I've seen them in. They only weigh 0.3lbs. These will not be melted. They'll be sold and the money used to buy more at a couple bucks a pound.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Just turn the temp up a bit. You can still try it at lower temp and if it doesn't work raise it till you get what your looking for and toss the rejects back in the pot. Uh, gently please.

Banned

That's good to hear haha. I'll have some free time this weekend, so hopefully I can start casting some 200gr SWC boolits with my Lee 2 cavity! I've been reading that this mixture is perfect for 45 ACP as long as you don't push it too hard. I was thinking about water quenching to get a little more hardness out of them.
    You don't need them any harder for 45 ACP.