WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Monumental: In Search of America's National Treasures

Moderator Emeritus

Monumental: In Search of America's National Treasures

There have been a couple Theological threads recently asking some personal questions "WHY", as well as "PROVE".
    I wanted to post this in one of those threads, but it really doesn't fit...even though this movie is the first thing I thought of when reading those threads. Ever since the first time I watched this movie, it has haunted me. The documentary, about the religious Pilgrims who founded our nation, teaches many things that are rarely taught in School.

Has anyone else seen this 2011 documentary?
    https://www.monumentalmoviedvd.com/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

This will be on my to-watch list.
    Gotta love kids like Kirk Cameron who traded stardom to being an instrument of faith.
    He was an outsider in 'do-what-pleases-you' attitude in Hollywood...
    Reminds me of Tim Tebow ridiculed for kneeling in prayer in contrast to those other guys hailed for kneeling in protest during our national anthem...

Boolit Master
    I just finished watching it. Some things I was aware of most of the Pilgrims plight, but want aware of how a few men have sought to erase God and Christ from our very history.

Moderator Emeritus

I haven't seen it, but Jon, you've whetted my appetite. Is it on at the cinemas, or on youtube, or what?

And as to what our founders did (the early ones), many of them perished, and we've never discovered what happened to those at Roanoke. Some believe they were admitted to the indian tribes. But nobody really knows, and there's only the most vaguely tantalizing clues left behind. This land was a very violently inclined place when the first white men landed and tried to establish a self sufficient colony. They left England with great hope, but gravely little real preparation and anticipation of what they'd need when they got here ... IF they got here. Our modern, easy lives are like feather pillows compared to what these stout folks had to deal with. Clean water. Food in amounts sufficient for the long haul. Implements with which to "tame" the land. All were lacking, and they often grew weak and unable to handle the required, often back breaking work that needed to be done to survive.

In my own case, I may well be lucky to be here today. My ancestor, who spelled his last name with an "s" instead of a "c" as we have since he landed in NC and headed with his brother to their respective sections of land in GA. His name was "Abraham," and that's probably a bit on the prophetic side, because when they got here, they saw they'd been sold a square mile of swampland! I'm sure they were told that "Oh yeah! It's got a beautiful running river right through it," and thought they'd gotten good deals. All I know is that they must have been very stout men, because they managed to carve out a living from that old swamp, and even prospered once they got things percolating. Old farmers tend to be stubborn and determined, and particularly those of Scots descent, as my forebears were. Anyone who doesn't believe in God has only to look at the records of WWII, and see how often God intervened. Nothing else explains the long series of "coincidences" that just happened to happen at just the right time to save our forces on many occasions. One has only to look at what the original settlers here had to face, to see that it was always God's intent that we come here, and develop it much as we've done. If only we'd use it more to serve Truth and God, than we do for mortal political gains! But people inevitably see what they want to see, and find what they want to find. Whether it's real or not, is quite a separate matter!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    I haven't seen it, but Jon, you've whetted my appetite. Is it on at the cinemas, or on youtube, or what?

>>>SNIP
    It was in the cinema in 2011
    Amazon prime has it for streaming
    or find the DVD at the link above
    >>>or Used at a thrift store or ebay or Amazon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Blackwater mentioned Gods hand in WW2 concerning America. America fought in Europe,the Pacific, and Africa along with men in the China,Burma Indonesia and other places. America suffered around 560,000 KIA. Compare that to other countries. From memory German suffered 23 million,Russia 12 million and several other countries suffered more deaths tham America.

Moderator Emeritus

Yes. The losses were beyond massive. They were so great, we can't really comprehend them, so we can't really appreciate the huge sacrifice that was given so we could simply "live free." But at certain crucial times, when success or failure of a mission meant success or failure of the entire effort, or large portions thereof, God came through, and blessed us at these critical times, enabling our brave and gallant men to forge the anvil upon which the Nazis and "Japs" would be beaten. God has many ways, and He is loving, but always just, as well. He's the best "Father" we could possibly ever have.