Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Screwdrivers

Screwdrivers

Can someone recommend a set of good gunsmith type screwdrivers? I am ok with paying a bit more for something that is quality and will last a while.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I have the Wheeler set. I've been using them for probably 10 years, but I'm just a hobbyist, not a professional! I like 'em and haven't had any issues whatsoever.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/43...crewdriver-set

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master

Grace or Brownells

Boolit Master

Brownells has this $20 (plus shipping) "shotgun" set with which you can use ALL of your existing hex headed bits in its magnetic tip. This one may say "Remington Shotgun" in its description, but the handle accepts ALL.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod25475.aspx
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple sets of the bonanza hollow ground drivers I like but they don't always have just the right size. Brownells have a good selection of screw drivers both standard and hollow ground. I like the hollow ground bits. For a simple set the chapman drivers arnt bad.

Boolit Master
    I have the Wheeler's and the Brownell's. I like the Brownell's better because the bit sizes are graduated and a slightly larger or smaller bit can be selected with little effort. The Wheeler is well made and has a similar assortment of bits numbered in a cryptic fashion with the bit number having no relationship to bit size. Mush easier to find the 'exact' fit with Brownell's. For handles, I prefer the 'mid-size Brownell's handle with the magnets. I have used the Brownell's clip-lock handle when parts can move due to the magnets but mostly the magnetic handles work more easily. Brownell's does have a few firearm specific bit sets that do work well for those guns: Marlin, S&W... I've got Lyman, Pachmayr, B-Square but the Brownell's are the easiest to use. (50+ years of 'tinkering')

Boolit Buddy
    I prefer the Grace screwdrivers. The tips are hollow ground and that helps prevent them from "camming out" of the screw slots. My set has been in use since about 1990 and only ever had to replace one of them, and that was operator error. They used to have wooden handles which I prefer, could be in plastic now though.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Grand Master

I have accumulated 3 small gunsmithing sets over the years , Midway , Brownell's and Pachmayer . All three have different sized bits and all eventually get worn , lost or broken. Small sets are OK but limited in bit selection . All three are designed for gunsmithing .
    Those three small sets have served me well for 30+ years .
    I decided it was time to get a nice new big set to cover a lot of screw sizes , slots, phillips , torx , allen ... and whatever else they have come up with .
    Looked at plenty and went with a Wheeler Engineering Professional Screwdriver Set , 72 pieces.
    I like it....lots of different sizes and geared toward gun screws . Reasonably priced too .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Grace

Boolit Buddy

I have wheeler and Grace. Grace
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugster View Post
    I prefer the Grace screwdrivers. The tips are hollow ground and that helps prevent them from "camming out" of the screw slots. My set has been in use since about 1990 and only ever had to replace one of them, and that was operator error. They used to have wooden handles which I prefer, could be in plastic now though.
    I just recently purchased a set of the Grace screwdrivers. Wooden handles. They are the very first actual gunsmithing screwdrivers that I have owned. I LIKE them.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently bought Grace and like the wooden handles.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned
    Screwdrivers?

I've always liked well chilled Tropicana no-pulp with Ketel One vodka from the Netherlands.........

Banned

I use Grace and Chapman.

Boolit Grand Master

Brownells private brand has been used for some time now and work well for me. It’s jice to have 30+ flat heads of assorted thickness and length to fit exactly. They were my fathers before he passed.

Boolit Master

Grace. Have had a set since 1969.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Mine are Forsters. Had since 85. Covers most of my
    needs.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I have 2 sets of Chapman, like them.

Moderator Emeritus

I have Brownells and Chapmans. You can never have enough.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast