MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remington custom rollers

When ya get your Roller done, bring it over to Yaupon Creek one saturday and tump over some steel critters with us.

Several of us shoot Rollers

Dave

Mega ... if you look for a #5 in 7mm that has a totally rotting and bashed set of wood stocks to go with a rusted and badly pitted barrel, you should find one for well under 500 bucks.

An old #1 in 43 Egyptian in the same shape will run cheaper yet. These have writing on the barrel but the actions are usually sound AND all there.

Argentine 43 Spanish rifles in similar shape are on the cheap also .

No the #4's are not your best bet for larger cal rifles. The old poor condition MILITARY rifles will serve you well for doner actions.

Those better rifles that are "shootable" are more money. They are more because they are a well used and workable tool that have history written all over them ... cool in their own rite. I have an old beatup 43 Spanish that is just a hoot to shoot with 1, 1.5 or 2 Fg black powder. I only gave 300 I think for it, set of Lee dies and some .439 bullets from BACO and away we go. Fun fun fun!

Your "project" can cost as little or more as you decide to invest in parts. Looking in all areas and patience will net you all components needed to put together a nice shooting roller.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks guys. So I'm mainly looking at donor rifles, pretty much anything but a rimfire. Is there a book or website dedicated to working on the rolling block? I see mention of sporting and military rifles. I assume the sporting is the commercial version sold to the public, and the military versions is the Surplus versions. Were these built world wide, or mostly by Remington? I'd love to read more on the history of the Remington rolling block.

Check out the Midway video on Rollers

There are a few books on Rolling Blocks around. Do a search at buff arms, mid-usa and track of the wolf for a couple. Also do a Google search for "books on Remington's Rolling Block".

At our local gun show in July I saw 3 military surplus Rolling Blocks for sale at various prices and condition. The most expensive was a pretty nice #5 7mm rifle and it was $450. The other two were great BP rifles, with various wood or barrel issues. But both had good actions and were $225 and $300. I'm sure they could have been purchased through negotiation for much less. I bought a 4th from the seller in a Sporting Rifle relined and chambered in .38 Special for $800.

I rarely find great prices on actions only, as it seems once somebody strips off barrel and wood they seem to think the guns are worth more as actions? So usually a complete gun is cheaper, and that's what I mostly buy for projects.

Al Springer has been doing my color case and rust bluing for a very long time, and I've never had any work from him that wasn't fantastic. His prices are the best around, and a very small percentage of what Turnbull charges, but as good or better than Turnbull's work. I'd never send a gun to anyone else myself, and never bother asking him for an estimate as I know it's reasonable. He also makes sure to go over my work, and call me if he'd like to improve it, or spend a little time doing so.
    This is another gun I restored because it was hot blued, porly buffed, and had a huge number of extra holes and dovetails. It's a cased Schoyen Ballard in .32-40 that was ugly before I repaired it, but really nice once Al finished his magic!

Before:

After:

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    At our local gun show in July I saw 3 military surplus Rolling Blocks for sale at various prices and condition. The most expensive was a pretty nice #5 7mm rifle and it was $450. The other two were great BP rifles, with various wood or barrel issues. But both had good actions and were $225 and $300. I'm sure they could have been purchased through negotiation for much less. I bought a 4th from the seller in a Sporting Rifle relined and chambered in .38 Special for $800.
    I've not seen anything close to those prices down here. I must be living in the wrong corner of the country! All that stuff would have probably gone home with me.

Are you perusing Gun Broker? Time to time I see these kinda rough Rollers on the cheap ... but ya gotta look like once or twice a week.

Can find barrels on the same place or fleabay time to time ... gotta shop tho as others are lookin for them too

I don't hardly ever look at GB or other online auctions. I just have a tough time buying guns without holding them, and looking them over. I did buy a Ballard Schuetzen rifle off GB or Auction Arms once. A friend told me about it, as he saw it minutes after it was listed, and knew I'd want it. I saw it was a "buy it now" also, and took me about 10 seconds to realize it was way too cheap, and hit the BIN price.
    Other than that I steer clear of them. Just too many people bidding against each other to rarely get a bargain.

Boolit Buddy
    I just had a #5 7mm action turned into a 40-65. Taylor Machine in Washington did the action work. He had a 40-65 barrel marked Lone Star Rifle Co. Nice! the stock work I tackled my self. Wood was "plain maple". Anything but plain. Lots of figure. I would post a picture and tell about it but I'm not computer savvy enough. Anyone want to post one for me?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    I've not seen anything close to those prices down here. I must be living in the wrong corner of the country! All that stuff would have probably gone home with me.
    Had our monthly collector show today, and saw a complete military Rolling Block in .43 Egyptian with a gorgeous bore, and refinished wood. The seller was asking $275, and I got his info. So if anyone is still looking, let me know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Had our monthly collector show today, and saw a complete military Rolling Block in .43 Egyptian with a gorgeous bore, and refinished wood. The seller was asking $275, and I got his info. So if anyone is still looking, let me know.
    marlinman I just sent you a PM

Boolit Master
    Marlin man I sent u a pm yesterday!

Got the PM's, and replied.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123