Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Ok gents. What is a good 43cal boolit?

Boolit Buddy

Ok gents. What is a good 43cal boolit?

Right.
    I need a few suggestions as far as 0,430" diameter bullets.
    The heavier the better.

It´s for a special run old Amsler/Milbank that i just got me.

I have several PP moulds I use for the .44-90 bn, .44-77 .44-100 Rem and the .44-75 Ballard that are .430", 432" and .434" Two moulds are adjustable that can drop a 530 grain bullet. One is a Brooks and the other is a KAL and a Buffalo Arms.
    What ever you want these mould makers will make for you.
    Also Accurate Moulds. Just tell Tom what you need and he will make it.

Boolit Master
    From Simpson's ?

Boolit Grand Master

I went to the Mountain Mold's website and, with Dan's help, and with the help of a couple of the folks here about 15 years ago, designed a boolit for my 10.5x47R. I haven't checked, but I assume he's still in business.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    TBH i´ve just got into PP,and then for my old original Whitworth,and that...pandoras box as the saying goes. I´m absolutely certain that i´m over complicating things but.. We´ve made all in all 7 different CNC cut molds and swaging dies for it.

So hope to get off a little "cheaper" with this one.
    As it turns out though this rifle has seen some work and thus it know uses 45-90 cases to hold a patched 43 cal bullet. What i´ve tried so far,as that was what i had on hand,was 457/500 RN turned down on the lathe keeping 4 GG´s for a fired weight of approx 450 grains and then the LEE 430/310.
    The latter a rather peculiar "long range" rifle bullet in my book but when i compare notes the little there is with others it seems that most come to rest around the 320 or so mark.
    Interesting though is that many a rifle of the period came to rest at 300 grains and change as far as bullet weight,in contrast to how most run these days.?

Now. It´s a 1:28" twist barrel that basically looks,feels and measures like new. Gun is 100% certain a "build" at some point,which shows. Stock and what not is absolutely amazing.

Which brings that i have a somewhat different platform to work from. Them "regular" approx 300grain bullets will of course exit completely different than with a stock chamber no doubt (that normally takes like mid 50 grain loads).

So far i´ve basically just played around with the rifle a bit,trying to get a feel for it. It works and responds well and the idea of mine for this particular rifle is a mid range one,if at all possible.
    Ie; a 200 to 600 meter rifle.

Hence why i tend to drift vs the heavier and somewhat longer boolits. Q really is what route to take as the best one,for an educated guess.?

As i´ve had great success with modified 457/500s before i´m going to try them mainly at first and see what that hands me accuracy wise.

Boolit Buddy
    Have worked a bit on this rifle.
    Even tried duplex loads,where i mixed 7 grains of Norma 200 with 70 of black. Worked like a charm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	248513

Of course the scope as well as bi-pod are anything but "Bubba´d" in place,ergo the whole thing can be reversed. Tiger striped stock,indeed.
    Anyways.
    As stated this rifle wasn´t in stock chambering as was and using 45-90 brass with PP´d ,430" boolits works rather well actually. Alloy of course,albeit rather soft such.

Name:	40.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	248514

The thing has turned out to be at least "semi accurate",but this thus far at more mundance distances why the idea of mine,for trials,is to simply "shim" that mold i´ve got with some alternatively 5mm and 10mm thick aluminium sheet and in that manner build up the base of the bullet until i feel appropriate weight has been arrived on.
    At that point i´ll look into CNC cutting a fresh one all together.

Name:	47.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	248515

That tool room steel is no doubt doing its job. Extracting the first round firing duplex is as easy as the last one.

Boolit Buddy
    About 1998 I had a Hoch mould made for a .422" 365 grain RN paper patch bullet. I use 9# 100% onion skin paper, wrapped to .430". Shoots very well in my .42 Russian Berdan rifles, aka 10.75x58r (or even 10.66x57r depending on reference). Something like that would work.