Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to ease up on my equipment. Ideas? Experiences?

Boolit Buddy

I need to ease up on my equipment. Ideas? Experiences?

Hello Wise Ones of the Silver Stream! My casting equipment is telling me to ease up.

I busted two of my favorite Lee molds last year, and I'm looking at my equipment--it looks a lot older than it is. I chewed through two mold "mallets", and the last one is really just a 2x2 I grabbed because I needed something. I noticed today when I cast, it's kind of loud. One to three whacks to cut the sprue, a couple bangs on the elbow of the mold, and bullets banging on a sheet metal ramp. After my stroke, I have difficulty controlling the force I apply when I do tasks that require gross motor skills. As a result, I also suspect that I'm not being good a neighbor because of the noise. If I don't be careful, that will pay unwanted dividends later.

I've already bought a metal basket, and I plan to set it on foam to stop the bullet fall/roll noise. I am thinking a bent pipe to pop the sprue, and a rubber mallet?

What do you suggest? Anyone else have this problem? Thank you for reading.

Boolit Master

If I do everything right I can use a gloved hand to open the sprue plate, no noise at all.
    And my Lee 6 cavity mounds have that third handle.

Boolit Master

I dont really hit anything. I use a small peice of dowel rod. I open the sprue with my gloved hand. Then tap the hinge bolt with the dowel. I could probably use my nuckle. But using a tool feela more natural.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Try several little things here. 1 cast slightly hotter or faster. This keeps the mould and sprue plate closer to temp making cutting sprue easier. Try a small cap hammer in the 6-8 0z range, better is a dead blow in this range as it pushes more. When cutting sprues the mallet/hammer stroke isn't so much a blow but a controlled push thru the sprue plate. Tapping the hinge is light taps and even centered on the bolt head.
    My small hammers both a 8 oz cap and slim head dead blow have cast many bullets and show little to no wear. Don't watch the hammer / mallet but watch the edge of the sprue plate where you want the force. Since I have grip issues with these smaller handles I wrapped the dead blow with a 72" leather Boot lace. This increased the size about 1/4" around and made a much more comfortable grip for me. What you want from the mallet is more a push thru than a blow or heavy strike.

Boolit Buddy
    I drop my boolits on a old towel.

One member here made a stand to hold the sprue plate while he turned the mold, no banging on it required.

I'm another that uses a gloved hand to open the sprue plate on my Lee moulds . I use a one inch wood dowel about 10" long to give its tap or two to get some sticky bullets to drop.never had to beat on it .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Treat you molds like you treat your women. You don't beat on them.
    And like a woman, if the gloves go on, handle both your molds and your woman with gentleness and finesse.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Have to agree with Hickory.

I am slowly switching everything over to Lee 6 cavity molds.

For my doubles I use a piece of half inch PVC pipe with some lead in the end.
    Opens sprues with authority, does not damage molds.

Moderator Emeritus

Waaay back, Hensley & Gibbs used to purvey a mould for casting spru- hammers. Matter of fact, if I recall, there once was one on this site which was passed to members, but somewhere/sometime got lost or ???? -- regardless, I never had the opportunity.
    A fellow on eBay had one, though, and sold hammers he cast with it at a really high price, and I was gifted one from a friend I had cast some bullets for as a "thank you". Kind of really dinged up, but I still use this hammer. If you can find one, imho, that's the way to go. I wish I could find another as, again, mine's really showing its age/usage.
    geo

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I use a lead hammer (home made) for 6 & 8 cavity molds. The handle is a piece of all thread about 10 inches long. The head is cast using a 3/4"ø copper tee that is split
    down the middle and held together with hose clamps and the two ends are capped with a cee clamp and two can lids. I wrap the all thread with tape just to make it easier
    to handle. Mostly I use a gloved hand to open up to 4 cavity unless I let my mind wander and it is too hard to open. Those old H&G 6 & 8 cavity are beast from the get go.

There is a sticky some where in the archives with detailed instructions on how to make one. I made one with a 1"ø tee but it was too big.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, this is an interesting thread.

The bullet I cast the most is a 158 grain SWC using a Lee TL double and a Lyman steel four banger. I like both bullets and during a session, which lately is not nearly often enough, I used both. I didn't think the Lyman was quite as accurate as the Lee when I shot them but I tried them both again a while back and I think I may of just been having a bad hair day.

Anyway, the Lyman works very well, I use a dead blow hammer from Harbor Freight some but mostly a 2x2 works just fine. I whack or two and the bullets fall out onto a wet towel. The Lee is a different story. From the day it was new, it has been a pain. I tried everything to get it to release to no avail. The sprue is shorter for the two cavity mold and in a different angle and I have to whack it much harder. It almost always leaves a little flange on the bottom no matter how tight I tighten the screw. Then the real problem is getting the bullets out. Rarely do they just fall out. I assumed it was the TL groves that caused this problem. Maybe not. So I use the end of an ice pick to push them out, usually one or both require this. Then the mold never has closed in perfect alignment so I have to "tap" it with the mallet or my glove to get it lined up properly.

One of the reasons I go back and forth is the steel Lyman about wears me out it is so heavy! Of course the sprue cutter on both are in different configurations which also makes things interesting.

Any ideas on how to get the Lee mold to perform better would be appreciated. I am not a big fan of the aluminum as it marks up so easily. I have pock marks all over the top from pushing the bullets out over the years. I definitely did not treat this mold like my wife!

Boolit Master
    I.use a rawhide mallet.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Wood (hickory) hammer handle
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

When I worked in a HE repair shop we kept lead hammers handy. Good for "persuading" tight boom pins without marring them. The ones we used were 5 lb., and when they got too "mushroomed" we assigned a helper to remelt and cast up some heads. For sprue opening a smaller lead hammer would prolly work well, like 1- 1 1/2 lbs. LenH's sounds like it would work well. Very quiet too.

I too drop my freshly case bullets on a folded towel in a large cake pan. Most of my molds are Lee and I have no trouble getting bullets out, maybe a whack with a mallet on the hinge, or just a shake will loosen the stubborn ones, but I "prepare" my molds (when new a few heat/cool cycles on my hot plate helps the break in process) and don't put anything in the cavities. I think a rubber hammer/mallet would not deliver enough ummmph to reliably open sprues, too soft.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    I.use a rawhide mallet.
    I also open the sprue with gloved hand.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Once the mold is hot, glove handling of the sprue plate is pretty easy. Until that though, I have to use a stick to bang the sprue plate open. I cast in my garage so not really worried about any noise issues.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

I used a Hickory Hatchet Handle for 30 Years. But it disappeared. Bought another, bur it seemed too light. I looked at Harbor freight & Lowes, nothing was right.
    While I was digging around for something else I found a 12" handled, 2" wide head plastic mallet. I had bought it for my Kids 30yrs prior, to pound their own tent stakes with. It's done about 30,000 bullets in the last 3yrs. It's showing wear, and I'll probably replace it with a smallish dead blow hammer in time.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I use a hickory handle and have never had a problem. I am generally not very easy on things. Wife says i am a brute. I have broke things all my life. Whiworking on a mill i would make draw bars 20 or 30 at a time. I broke a one inch bolt off and boss said you can't break one of those with gust a wrench claimed i had to of used a pipe over the wrench. So i had to prove it to him. He just walked away shaking his head. I have broke a lot of bolts but never had something come loose. As i have gotten older i am a bit easier on things because i am just not as strong as i used to be. Its probably a good thing.

Banned

I certainly would not use a "bent pipe" I use hickory hammer handles!

Boolit Master

I use a foot long miniature baseball bat I turn out of hickory many years ago. It is barely marked. You only have to tap the sprue cutter, not hit it.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast