Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unimpressed with my cap and ball revolver skills

Thumbs down Unimpressed with my cap and ball revolver skills

Well I loaded 15gr of ffg in the chambers, a cereal box over powder wad, inconsistent amounts of grits, a lube wad, and finally my shiny balls. As you can see the seating consistency is pathetic. Not sure how to measure and know the right amount of filler (grits).

Oh and name that revolver

Practice, and concentrate on what you're doing.

It's like riding a dirt bike or flying a airplane-- the more ya do it, the better you'll get.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I agree. Just keep practicing. You'll develop your technique. Is that a G&G?
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Personally I never use any kind of filler, just a lubed felt wad. Works fine for me.

Many years ago I bought a roll of inexpensive wool felt. I picked up a set of cheap punches at Harbor Freight, and punched out hundreds of .44 and .36 felt wads. I found a recipe online for some lube made of bee's wax and a couple other things (I forget), melted it down and soaked it into the wads. I've been using them ever since.

All I use is powder, felt wad, and lead ball: no filler or grease at all. I've had a couple people tell me I'm doing it all wrong, that I have to use filler and sticky, nasty grease. One day I had a long talk with an old-timer at a gun show, who had been collecting, shooting, and competing with cap and ball revolvers for longer than I've been alive. He told me that the way I was doing it was just fine, perfectly acceptable.

Boolit Mold
    I never use filler. Full load of powder and a lubed conical or a round ball over a felt wad.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    If it works for you who cares what anyone says. I actually might try your way most of my bp revolvers reside in back of the safe. I hate dealing with the grease.

I have just been using powder with a ball overtop. If shooting a lot etc., I may rub in a beewax and beargrease lube over top. Lately I have been rolling paper cartridges and love that. Eventually, I want to get a mold for some Dow and Johnston boolits and roll them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pistol.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	245684
    “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

Boolit Master

I've never used filler or wads. Just lots of grease (or crisco) over the top of the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPowderLove View Post
    I have just been using powder with a ball overtop. If shooting a lot etc., I may rub in a beewax and beargrease lube over top. Lately I have been rolling paper cartridges and love that. Eventually, I want to get a mold for some Dow and Johnston boolits and roll them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pistol.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	245684
    This is my next plan, paper cartridges. My wife watched me load a cap and ball (I'm new to them) and she said "You're going to do THAT at the range? Takes a long time"

I had to explain to her that to me the process of it all is almost as fun as shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

You don't need grits for cap and ball shooting , save them for breakfast.
    Omit the cereal box wads too ...unnecessary . Instead of a lube wad under the ball use Crisco , or fancy lube of your choice, on top of the ball .
    Load enough black powder so that when a ball is fully seated it is 1/8th inch below the chamber mouth, fill the chamber mouth with lube .
    You are trying to put too much "stuff" below the ball...none of which is necessary .
    1.) A measure of powder
    2.) The Ball
    3.) lube ( Crisco or whatever)
    4) cap and shoot

Brass framed reproduction 1851 Navy Colt from what I can see...probably Italian ??

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

From everything I've read the brass framed revolvers can take around 15gr black and the steel can take 20gr.

Boolit Master

That seems very conservative to me, for a .44 cal. I’ve always considered 20gr to be a light enough load for brass frame guns, and 30 to be perfectly fine for a steel frame gun. I’m far from being any kind of expert though.

Boolit Master
    Don't use KY jelly as a lube. I tried that once a looooong time ago. It's too thin....one shot and all of it blows out of the chambers.

If they are still in business Blue & Gray products makes spit ball and spit patch that works just fine.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    That seems very conservative to me, for a .44 cal. I’ve always considered 20gr to be a light enough load for brass frame guns, and 30 to be perfectly fine for a steel frame gun. I’m far from being any kind of expert though.
    Well this isn't a .44 cal...So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Is that a G&G?
    And YES Beagle, you got it.

Boolit Grand Master
    For the literally thousands of rounds fired at the North-South Skirmishes, wads of cardboard and or felt are avoided. The general formula goes something like “start with a moderate charge of black powder (I go with 18 grain my Rem 44) then almost fill the chamber with Cream of Wheat, leaving just enough room to start the bullet. Set a bullet in place and press down flush or just below, then cap with Crisco or slightly stiffer lube, add caps, fire, repeat.”

I find it better to use a separate seating tool rather than trying to use the seating lever on the gun, but that’s not required. Pre-measuring the powder and C of W is a good idea, and lately I’ve shot in warm enough conditions I find that pure Crisco is way too thin... I need to cap the charge with a stiffer lube containing beeswax.

The balls you use should be a tight fit in the chamber... some people actually like to cut a thin ring of lead as they seat the ball. Also, the lead should be dead soft to catch the rifling in the barrel.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I prefer to use a grease was made of beeswax, tallow, and paraffin (gatfalo? lube) under the ball. You can also load the cookies in paper cartridges under the ball. Grease on top of the ball is blown off in a shot or two.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I do not plan to wipe grease over each ball. Way too messy and I'd be willing to bet it isn't fun after a couple cylinders of black powder is shot in the summer heat.

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't done any black powder revolver shooting in many years, but I remember how I did it. Since the loads didn't stay in the gun for more than a few minutes, I just dumped powder, added a ball, a snug fit against the powder, and smeared grease around the cylinder mouth. I used store bought swaged balls, appropriate black powder, and white grease (probably lithium grease). Never any problems and as long as the components and charges were the same, they all loaded the same.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Well this isn't a .44 cal...So there's that.
    That's what I get for assuming. Sorry.

As to lube wad vs. grease/crisco, I've seen this discussion before. I'm really an amateur when it comes to black powder, but my understanding is that purists and traditionalists really don't like felt lube wads, and stick with what worked best back in the day. I can respect that.

For me though, I just don't like the sticky, greasy, crisco. The felt wads are so much easier and cleaner. As an occasional, recreational black powder shooter, the lube wads work well for me so they are what I use. I always felt a little bad about it until I talked to the black powder guy at the gun show. If I was at a range or gathering like the "North-South Skirmishes", I would certainly follow their rules, but otherwise I'll just continue to do what works best for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast