MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Time Hunting

Boolit Master
    I sometimes wear camo because I don't like to be seen by other hunters but mostly I just like to wear "quiet".

Dick

Boolit Master

Just an observation, I wear tan kakis every day here on the farm, and see deer a turkeys. If I wear camo during hunting season, I see much lss game. I have about quit hunting deer and turkeys but strongly remember the turkey I shot with my Brown bess leaning on a fence post wearing kakis. 15 yards and a hen pecking on my boot
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    Huh? Seriously - those funny looking leather shorts with suspenders or a kilt?

In Wisconsin?

During hunting season?

In Wisconsin.... Where political hyperbole freezes solid by December..... And it gets so cold that Japanese cars won't start....

This has got to be some sort of hoax....
    HA! If only political hyperbole froze.

Here is a pair of lederhosen (I made and embroidered... real deerhide), in winter (see the snowbank behind me). No hunting in this photo, but I was killing some beers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7836.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	245991
    “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

I've hunted many a deer here in shorts, tee shirt and sneakers. In November.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    I sometimes wear camo because I don't like to be seen by other hunters but mostly I just like to wear "quiet".

Dick

In early season, I wear orange so I [B]can[/B] be seen by other hunters. That said, I do like "break up" orange but would like to wear the old red/green plaid. I do wear wool pants when I need and I love to hunt with cast bullets

I hunt oldschool. I'm a fairly new hunter, but I don't buy into all the new stuff. I read books about hunting from the 80s on back. Manditory orange here during anything big game and firearms, but other than that I wear flannel or my carhartt jacket and jeans. I hunt from the ground, make my own blind. I just like it that way. I got a buddy that decks out in camo and scent killer.

Boolit Man
    The older I get, the more I like comfortable. Indiana requires the wearing of some blaze orange above the waist, I normally wear an orange hat or cap, depending on the temperature. Deer do not see blaze orange the same way we do. I have been sitting on a stump, wearing a blaze orange vest, and had a young doe walk within five feet up wind of me and did not spook and apparently did not see me. Keep yer powder dry...……...robin

Boolit Man
    I'll admit that the latest new fangled fabric and camo patterns that have been developed and marketed in the magazines and TV are interesting. If it were not for the fact that I am married and therefore do not have open access to a secure funding string, I might be tempted to try them out.

Since I spend most of the allowance that my darling wife gives me from my salary on lead, powder and primers I usually just stick to what is comfortable, legal, and cheap.... and by cheap I mean items that I bought in my youth before I got married. Luckily I bought large, with the understanding that the items would shrink in the wash. Fortunately the items didn't shrink, but unfortunately somehow I managed to expand to fit them. Go figure.

I've had hunts decked out in Mossy Oak where I didn't see a single thing. I've had other hunts where I've been in standard T-shirt and jeans and had a deer nearly walk up and eat out of my hand.

More concerning to me is that in the off season I see tons of game. When the season starts, I see nothing. Has anyone been able to figure out who's slipping the game a calendar? Inquiring minds wish to know.
    NRA-Life Member
    Dabbler in Holy Black and Heathen Smokeless

"There are very few situations in life that cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives."

Boolit Buddy
    I don't really have any "hunting clothes" just my everyday shirt and jeans, jacket. I am a firm believer that camo is a waste of time and money. I have set still and been able to reach out and touch many different animals (deer, fox, turkeys etc.) while wearing bright colored clothing.

Boolit Master
    Went hunting with a group a while back, long while actually. As we were slipping on orange vests, a buddy's bil pointed out that my brown carhart jacket was gonna spook the deer, as we both slipped on ORANGE vests a d caps! I just went on about my knittin, go figger.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have read that deer and turkey are curious and will come to check out anything unusual. I have to wear orange on top and an orange hat. Can't be orange camo. I have an orange ballcap, but I also wear my cowboy hat with an orange hatband. I used blaze orange duct tape for that hatband several times, but I'm looking to make one out of cloth that will slip on and off. I also took one of those cheap vests and cut it up to make a back and left/right panels so I can pin it to any jacket I like, so I don't have to wear my orange vest over the jacket. That breaks up the solid and conceals better. It's not the color but the solid panel that the deer see. I've often wondered if I took an orange vest, and sewn a few pieces to it of a very slightly different orange but still blaze, if it would conceal better.

Boolit Man
    I have read that some states are now allowing blaze pink as an alternative to blaze orange. I don't know about y'all, but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing blaze pink, LOL...…….robin

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I’m not cool I really like Camo I prefer the old wood land . And I really don’t care if game can see me just as easily as wearing jeans or plaid.And I really like water proof clothes.

Boolit Buddy

Would my 71 year old Winchester be considered "Old Time"?
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Quote Originally Posted by shooter bob View Post
    I guess I’m not cool I really like Camo I prefer the old wood land . And I really don’t care if game can see me just as easily as wearing jeans or plaid.And I really like water proof clothes.
    Bob, I like that brown camo from the 70s that's similar to woodland. I've got a vintage rifle case in it.

Boolit Buddy
    At least I’m not the only one

Boolit Man
    I will admit to having some woodland camo, but I swear that the most effective camo was the original "Tree Bark" camo in shades of grey and black, that looked just like tree bark. I was wearing some while squirrel hunting with my son. I was standing with my back to a white oak tree, and I thought he had a heart attack when I reached out and touched him on the shoulder...…….robin

Boolit Master
    Judging by the turkeys and deer around my farm, a tractor is great camo and diesel fuel is an execelent cover scent
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Rght on rking. Throw in an old pull type combine, cornpicker or baler and an old wooden wagon and you have all the camo ever needed plus your ground blind. Old oily greasy smell or ripe manure is as good cover scent as canbe found.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter bob View Post
    I might argue that the old Woodland camo (especially that old 70s pattern) is pretty vintage and old school! I like it better than some of the new stuff.
    “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast