MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Time Hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C-dubb View Post
    I don't really have any "hunting clothes" just my everyday shirt and jeans, jacket. I am a firm believer that camo is a waste of time and money. I have set still and been able to reach out and touch many different animals (deer, fox, turkeys etc.) while wearing bright colored clothing.
    You had me right up till the time you mentioned (TURKEYS) ,maybe descendants of the Famous singer( Ray Charles he was blind) but any turkey I"ve seen would turn inside out and POOF/GONE

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    You had me right up till the time you mentioned (TURKEYS) ,maybe descendants of the Famous singer( Ray Charles he was blind) but any turkey I"ve seen would turn inside out and POOF/GONE
    Out in my area the turkeys are pretty dumb. Not enough people hunting them to educate them like they have been back east. Several times I have had a flock come wandering by while I was deer hunting. I would stay behind them around twenty yards and follow them. Great cover for noise and movement to sneak up on deer.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

My favorite way to hunt turkeys in the fall is to wait for a breezy day and walk up on them. No camo needed just move slow and dont skyline your self. I have killed something more than 30 turkeys with my Brown Bess at ranges around 20 yards. Never used a modern gun have always left the cap lock at home.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    That is the way I like to hunt them as well. I slip up and flush them like a big covey of quail! Their head is the size of a dove and they hit the ground sounding like a dropped feed sack. I don’t hunt them in the spring, got fish on the brain that time of year. For me it’s my old Wingmaster and 1 1/4 oz of lead #4, a Bess would be more challenge, but I like a backup shot in case I muff the first and wound the bird, mad they can RUN!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I have a woods trail that I walk frequently. I sometimes wear camo and sometimes not. I have noticed time and time again that when I have on camo, that I am not noticed so much by the game. If I still hunt by standing rock still, the game seems to go back to what ever they were doing rather than running off. For me the use of even blue jeans and a camo long sleeve shirt helps me get closer to the game than without. A white tee shirt is definitely a no-no if I am serious about getting close.
    Turkey hunting has been mentioned. My way is not for everybody, but fun for me and works most of the time. It is usually more time consuming than walking to them as they are never in a hurry unless spooked. I use camo even in a ground blind because I am convinced a turkey can spot a bug moving on a log 75 yards away. I set out two decoys (a hen and a jake) and call them into my range which is usually 30-35 yards. I use a muzzleloading shotgun. I have killed many many turkeys this way. Last season on two separate occasions I called them from an open field 150 yards away into range. It sometimes takes them a hour to cover that distance.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123