Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to cut fire wood

Boolit Master
    You want free? I have about 25 full grown white oaks leaning over or on the ground from the last 2 bad wind storms. All within driving distance of an ATV or tractor. Cut and take what you want.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Oh Boy! Done for the year! A years worth at least.

Why would anyone cut wood in hot weather? We always try to do it after the fields are plowed but before we are snowed in. Being to hot cutting wood is just awful. Much rather it be 20 f rather than 85f!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    Why would anyone cut wood in hot weather? We always try to do it after the fields are plowed but before we are snowed in. Being to hot cutting wood is just awful. Much rather it be 20 f rather than 85f!
    cut in the fall, split in the winter.

Boolit Grand Master

Not hot weather here, been 65-70 in the mornings and no wind. The town tree dump was filled with ash logs cut to 6 foot lengths and I sure wouldn't want them to go to waste. In addition the town cut a couple of ash trees and put them in my back yard. Don't get any better!

i help my buddy do fire wood to sell, i do the splitting he does the bucking. i work pretty fast, being organized helps a lot. he will place wood to my right and i pille to my left. we do bout 120 cord year, waiting for the weather to cool some more. i wish i had the place to do my own to sell, but i rent and can't do anything at my house, i sure could use the money.

Boolit Master

My brother and I cut after most of the leaves have fallen off of the trees. This allows us to see the widow makers up above. Way too many ticks still in the wood at this time.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Have a couple winters worth at this point.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=RayinNH;4706129 Way too many ticks still in the wood at this time.[/QUOTE]

This^^! I hate ticks
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    This past spring I could spend half and hour picking in my blueberry patch and have one or two ticks on me. Of course, I have often said I could stand on the pitcher's mound in the Atlanta Braves stadium and find chiggers later. GF

Boolit Master
    I had two in the spring none since. just luck. been cutting wood last 2 days. I get bundles of slab from the saw mill. I have a 30 inch buzz saw that goes on the Ferguson runs off the pto.

Boolit Master

Buzzed wood yesterday. Belt the John Deere "B" model to the buzz saw. Makes for a nice day with good exercise. I love using this old stuff, sure easier on these old bones than the chain saw. Ah, the smell of saw dust and hearing the 2 cylinder "B" bark. Almost as good as sniffing cordite and Hoppes. And I've got plenty of sawdust for fluxing. An OSHA inspector would have fits over this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0725.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	273.8 KB 
ID:	249354
    Last edited by Alstep; 10-06-2019 at 08:48 PM.

You guys are getting me all excited about wood-cutting season! I burn between 3-5 full cords/year, depending on the year, and yes....I do that in South Carolina. My wife has a penchant for living in a kiln....so I burn probably twice what I would if I had control of the thermostat.

I've probably got 2/3 of what I need for this year....so it's getting to be time to finish up and get ahead for next year. It's been steady in the 90s here, but getting a break now.

Feeding one of these is great fun.

http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACES/...5/Default.aspx
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master
    I will be doing things differently this year. Wood is split and placed in IBC totes. The bottom of the plastic bin is cut off and an access window cut in one side. Access opening is also cut out of the long side of the IBC cage. The plastic bin is raised to increase wood capacity and also serves as a weather cap for snow and rain. These portable totes hold nearly a 1/2 cord of wood and I can move them with my tractor. In the fall, I move them from outside storage into the garage. A pallet jack is used to move totes in the garage as my tractor will not fit or position totes accurately enough.

Much less handling. I used to stack splits outside, and tarp them. Then in the winter, pull the tarp after clearing snow and ice buildup (up to a foot) off it, stack them in the truck or tractor bucket, wrestle the tarp back on, then unload and stack in the garage. Now I stack once in the tote and done.

Name:	IBC 1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	249364

Name:	IBC 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	249365

Name:	IBC 4.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	249366
    Don Verna

I am 3+ years ahead now. I will still cut wood this Fall, I have an addiction to cutting firewood! I wish I had your buzzsaw! Grew up driving a JD B on Grandpa's farm. Lots of great memories! hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master

I spent about a half a day at deer camp a few weeks ago hauling wood up to camp. The loggers left a huge pile of mixed hardwood logs when they finished cutting last year. White Oak, Red Oak, Pin Oak, Hickory and a mix of other stuff. Anywhere from 4 ft long to about 10ft. I used a pair of skidder tongs and the front end loader on my tractor to load a trailer and prolly hauled 20,000# of wood up to camp. We'll cut and split it sometime during the next few weeks.

Boolit Grand Master
    20,000 lbs is about 4-5 cords. Lots of wood for a deer camp! About what I use a year to heat my house.
    Don Verna

Boolit Man

Time to cut fire wood

I got a lot of wood cut in July/August. Now it rained a years worth of rain in September and I need to go get the stuff but can’t due to mud. I’ll have to wait for freezup.
    We had a flood in 2011 that killed millions of trees along the river I live on. Lots of dead standing and laid over ash and oak. I primarily cut ash.
    New MS 362cm saw this year as well. Pretty happy with it.

This saw was Green when Green was just a color It still works but it weighs a Ton!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 10-08-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast