Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to cut fire wood

Boolit Master

I live near Huntingdon now- I'm a native of New Orleans and had to learn all about these Yankee winter customs like cutting firewood and the necessity o four wheel drive.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    I will chime in with Idaho45guy here!

Out west we cut dead trees, very dead ones! Very dry as well!

It is illegal on public lands to fall dead standing trees even. Dead and down is what is permitted. The woods get so dry that it is hard to get one’s wood out before wood cutting is shut down by regulation for fire season due to the risk of operating equipment in the woods(saws) and starting a fire. Between full shut down and full legal cutting we have what is called “hoot owl” restrictions as conditions (woods dry out) where the operating of a chain saw and other equipment is restricted to prior to a certain time of day.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

Just put in 2 truck loads yesterday. It will take a while yet as once you get old you get slow. I split by hand until I was 70 then I had to get a splitter.

Moderator Emeritus

I do not miss it! Used to cut and burn standing dead elm. I had a friend who lived in the house right behind me and he burned wood too. So we go together to cut and stack a huge pile every fall for the next year. One year we dropped one tree that provided enough wood for 2 years, stump was 5 feet in diameter! When that tree hit the ground it shook dishes out of the cupboard in the house(we were down in a ravine below the house). Cut the trunk in 4' section that the tractor could barely pull out with a 1" steel cable. Once up top we cut to log length then did a cut down the middle to make it more manageable under the vertical splitter. That was a LOT of wood in 2 weeks we stacked up!

Now I am lazy, my wood comes in a 40 pound bag and I pour it in the hopper of the pellet stove! Get a little of that wood smoke smell, a nice fire to look at... and a lot less work!

Boolit Master
    I just inventoried yesterday and have only half what we need for a hard winter. Better get busy.

God felled some trees for me this year. When it's in the 50's I'll cut it up. Not much call for firewood here either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back in the early 1970s during the first oil embargo the first big firewood craze took off. We used to tell people it wasn't cheap to get into firewood. You needed a chainsaw, axe, splitting wedges, chains, a pickup, someway to split the wood. You needed a modern chimney so you didin't burn the house down with a chimney fire plus a woodstove. You needed to add in extra insurance. Don't forget the cost of having your first heart attack and broken limbs.

Boolit Master
    It is a very good feeling if you lose your power on a minus farenhieght night that you still have heat. The wood stove can warm food and our gas cook top cooks it.

Independence from the drugged or drunk fool that shears off a power pole and “pulls the plug” for 6-8 hours.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    Back in the early 1970s during the first oil embargo the first big firewood craze took off. We used to tell people it wasn't cheap to get into firewood. You needed a chainsaw, axe, splitting wedges, chains, a pickup, someway to split the wood. You needed a modern chimney so you didin't burn the house down with a chimney fire plus a woodstove. You needed to add in extra insurance. Don't forget the cost of having your first heart attack and broken limbs.
    That good hard exercise from cutting and splitting wood helps to prevent heart attacks. Don't need to go to a gym or exercise bike to stay fit.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The dryer your wood is the more heat you get from it and a cleaner stove pipe. I aim for three years drying. Some people I know cut in spring, split and stack in piles so the hot summer so can dry it. The then stack it in September to burn in the winter. It makes heat, but would make more if they could wait another year or two. If you need your wood to dry faster split it smaller.

Boolit Master

I'll pass on cutting in July and wait until the leaves drop and the air is cold and frost on the pumpkins. I just stack it and wait a few years to burn, I've got a bunch of maple that's been sitting in the wood shed for about 5 years now, should be just about ready.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Went out and got about four cords yesterday. We had trees cut and sectioned and stacked in a pile that had been logged about five years ago. Easiest firewood I've gotten in a while. Was able to pull a 16' flatbed trailer right up to it and roll the logs right onto it.

Attachment 245923
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Between all my chain saws, sharpener, log splitter, wedges, etc...….bet I spent more on this stuff than money I saved on our heat bill.
    However, it sure is nice looking at those dancing flames thru the glass door while the back door to our house is open to allow a cool breeze in when its in the teens outside. But the real advantage is the even heat. No more hot and cold waiting for furnace to kick on. Just smooth even heat and cool sleeping at night.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

After a week and a half of nice weather and hard work I am down to one more load and done for the year! Ash and Elm with a little maple cut fine for starter.

Boolit Bub
    2-3 cords is about all I need for winter here in northwest Florida nowadays
    I used to use trees blown down by hurricanes but my area has been spared a direct hit for 15 years
    Have had to resort to cutting the trees on my property
    Trees laying on the ground rot pretty quick as we average 60” of rain yearly so all my wood is stacked off the ground and covered to keep the rain off it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Just finished mine last week. My woods have 2+acre of dead Ash on the side of a hill. Looks like I'm growing phone poles in a field. Got to get em before they rot further . Stupid China bugs

Boolit Master
    A guy asked me how much wood was in a cord of fire wood, I said that’s just the amount to get me thru the rest of the winter.

Boolit Master
    The wind took off the top of a 10" maple a while back and I'm going to wait for cooler weather to cut it up in short lengths and then split it small to use in a smoker. I make cut a few fireplace length as the wood makes a pretty fire. If I can find a neighbor with some downed oak or hopefully some pecan I'll see if I can get some for the smoker, too. Twelve deer and as many hogs as you can find are legal in GA, not to mention lots of black bear in the northern foothills this past couple of years. GF

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Again, no one cuts green wood out in the West.

You either get a firewood permit for $12 or go on your own land and find a standing dead tree and cut it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I will chime in with Idaho45guy here!

Out west we cut dead trees, very dead ones! Very dry as well!

It is illegal on public lands to fall dead standing trees even. Dead and down is what is permitted. The woods get so dry that it is hard to get one’s wood out before wood cutting is shut down by regulation for fire season due to the risk of operating equipment in the woods(saws) and starting a fire. Between full shut down and full legal cutting we have what is called “hoot owl” restrictions as conditions (woods dry out) where the operating of a chain saw and other equipment is restricted to prior to a certain time of day.

Three44s

BLM here offers up standing green hardwood once in a while for $12 per cord. But I might be able to give up on gov't wood finally.

Honestly, I can't think of anything more fun than the better half and I filling up the truck on a crisp Saturday morning. We run some skidding line and a block or two. I get to be the cutter, rigging slinger, hook tender-choker setter, chaser. SWMBO is the donkey puncher, splits and loads. We finish splitting at home. Never have used a hydraulic splitter, hear they're pretty nice though. I'll keep my eye open for one when my wife can't swing a maul anymore!
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

I'm ready. 9 cords in the shed, 3 more along the shop walls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Firewood tower 2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	246376

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Firewood.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	246374
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firewood tower.JPG  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast