MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .615 Ferran Express

Boolit Buddy
    I have a gentleman lined up to make my action!! The plan is to use one of his falling block actions, but scaled up to handle the big cartridge. Obviously it's a little expensive ($3000) but that honestly is NOT BAD considering a a BAT 50 bmg action is over that and considerably larger and definitely heavier. I cannot believe this is gonna happen. Almost brings a tear to my eye

http://www.bradshawgunandrifle.com/welcome.html

Gentleman's website

Banner Sponsor

That side lever falling block looks great.

Boolit Buddy
    So, the goal of this rifle is to become a family heirloom. Something that will be based down through the generations. I plan on having a nice felt lined case with all the necessities inside (dies, cleaning items, spare barrel ect.) and I'm trying to think ahead to make this idiot proof so someone can load up a round years down the line when I'm good and gone. To accomplish this I have begun to write a book. The book will serve as not only an instruction manual for loading a cartridge, but also as documentation of the process of developing the cartridge and having the rifle built from scratch. In the book I have started with a brief memoir so whoever down the line knows a little about myself. Here is a small excerpt from the start of a chapter
    (I know there are typos, this is a rough draft) and a chart I included to put how powerful it is into perspective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	book entry.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	247123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chart.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	247124

The chart shows a near max load for the cartridge.

I'm not planning on publishing the book or anything like that, I'm going to have it proofread and cleaned up and I'm printing it out and binding it myself with a leather hardback. Never bound a book before, but hey I've also never had a one of a kind rifle made from scratch either

Banner Sponsor

What are you expecting your finished weight to be around?

Boolit Buddy
    Under 18 lbs probably around 16 or 17. It will have a muzzle brake and a really good pad on it so it should be fine. If not I can always make it heavier.

I read the whole 12gaFH thread on AR a few years ago, and looked at the ATF web site. What I took away was the ATF had ruled "if it will still take a shotgun shell, it's still a shotgun" even if shooting metallic cartridges through a rifled barrel.

There was a company called Intrepid Tactical Solutions selling a rifle they called the RAS-12 a few years ago. It took a rimless 12ga shell. https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...as-12-shotgun/

"The RAS-12 is an 18″ 12 gauge shotgun upper that fits on a standard AR-10 lower and uses Magpul PMag AR-10 magazines (more on this below). At present, the only ammunition available for it is ITS’s own RAS-12 12 gauge ammunition, which is a rimless, polymer shotgun shell with a cone or ball tip for enhanced loading and feeding."

The way I see it, if you headspace on the case mouth and your extractor has enough travel to grab the groove, why bother with rimmed cases? Just cut down BMG brass and run it as-is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12