Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: RCBS SMALL uniflow powder measure?

Boolit Master

RCBS SMALL uniflow powder measure?

How well does the small cylinder work for loads from 2.0 to 10 grains? Is it just for plinking loads or is it consistent? Ive been weighing them on my electronic scale but looking to speed up the process on my revolver loads.

Boolit Master
    Both will work, there is a limit at the lower end with the large rotor, but I haven’t fooled around to figure out what it is with different powders. Nothing I load goes that low.

I do have both and I use the small rotor for all my handgun loading.

It works really good for small measure. I use it for 6 gr. to loading 30-06 rnds.

Boolit Master
    If your referring to the small rotor..................that's what it was designed for. I converted my Uniflow to the micrometer adjustment option. If you do that, you can only use the large rotor.................small rotor wont fit. I don't have any issues throwing small charges of Bullseye, with the converted measure.

Winelover

Boolit Master

I located and purchased a second powder measure so that I would have both rotors installed at once and the change from small to large, or vice versa, would be facilitated without waiting.

The small rotor throws charges well at 2.x, 3.x, 4.x, grains, etc. in small capacity cases such as 380 ACP through 45 Colt. It handles flake and ball powder best. Cylindrical powder is "problematic" for both the small and large rotors as "cutting" of individual kernels occurs.

The end result though is very good. The VOLUME of the small charge that is thrown often works best over its absolute weight. I don't weigh charges more than one in 20 for pistols after the progressive press is set up on the small rotor. I am certain that there is some variance, round to round, though you cannot tell it in the target results.

If you are weighing each pistol charge you are not maximizing your fun, imo. A belly gun that shoot to center of mass across a room is MORE than sufficient.

If you intend to hunt with the pistol, that is a different loading regime and for that I weight every charge and do not make them on the progressive press.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I have one and have only used the small rotor for the last 5 years. Only powder that has been in it is Red Dot.

Run anywhere from 2 grains for my .32sw longs up to 4.6 grains for .357mag and various rifle loads.

No complaints here.

For small charges of about 5 grains or so and under, the large volume cylinder caused very inconsistent throws along with powder bridging.

The small cylinder will accomodate charges up to 50 grains. For small charges, down to 2 grains in my experience, the small volume cylinder throws consistently with zero bridging. And this is with a flake powder - 700-X.

For light throws, the small volume cylinder is a must. Again, in my experience...

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've thrown down to 3.5 Unique with the large drum .
    I finally got a small drum about a yr ago and haven't had a chance to use it .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the small drum will get down to under 1 grn. Its the area left after the rotor edges hit the housing, that small flat left.

I sleeved a small rotor down to 3/8 dia cavity and 1/4 28 threads to get fine charges from it. It did very well and was consistent. But that wasn't the only change. an insert was made to sit in the upper housing making a smaller dia powder column. The smaller dia gave a deeper powder column for a given charge. Allowing it to run more in the central range. Another plus with small charges its adjustments were finer as a .001 adjustment was a smaller dia on the smaller rotor.

Boolit Master

I have 4 Uniflows. 2 with the small metering cylinder. The small cylinder works great from charges down into the mid 2s (I've not loaded anything lighter) up through 25 grains for 223. Works great!

EDITED TO ADD: Of course metering consistency is all about the size/shape of the powder kernels and how consistently they organize themselves into a given volume.

The Accurate No. X powders give sub 1/10th variance. Unique will toss the occasional 2/10th variance but typically +/- 1/10th. 231, WSF, etc. are in between.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 07-24-2019 at 01:21 AM.

Boolit Master

I have used charges using the small rotor with several pistol powders in .38 Special. The loads tested in S&W model 14 in a Ransom rest produced results satifactory for 50 yard competition.
    Any small grain powder will be fine which includes Bullseye,WW 231 and WST. Those are the ones I have experience with.

Boolit Master
    One word. Great! I use it to drop consistent loads between 4.7 through 6 grns of Unique (which ain’t the best metering Powder) and win 231 for 9mm and 9x18. I do verify every 10th round
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Man
    I can throw Bullseye down to 3.3 grains all day long with my large cylinder Uniflow ....include Zip, AA5, Titegroup.....no problems at all ......NOW 800X of any weight.... is a cat of another color!