MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR question

Banned

that right there is FACT
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Just to blow everyone’s minds, ATF letters don’t mean much either. The law is the law, the letters are an administrative interpretation of the law at a specific time and related to a specific set of facts. That they sent a letter doesn’t mean that they can’t argue something different at a later date. Sure it’ll be harder for them to take a different position in court, but if they want you, you’ll be broke by the time they are done with you anyway so it really doesn’t matter.

If you can’t get yourself comfortable with the law, then maybe you shouldn’t play in this particular sandbox.

Oh, and stop writing letters!

Banned

other bit of intellegence
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    they dick with, and change the rules at will whether people inquire with them or not. of course one can go blindly thru life and end up with an illegal rifle/pistol. one could always claim ignorance if busted with one, but the gvmnt dont care about your lack of knowing the law. stick your head in the sand if you wish, but when you end up in jail over it, dont cry.

Banned

yup dubber just look at it with a worse case senerio in mind. IF the dumbest sob of a cop shows up at the range and doesn't like you gun and googles batf laws. When I do a pistol I look at batf law and Michigan laws. I make sure that in ANY situation im in obvious compliance with all laws. That means I don't measure my guns with the brace off or folded or the flash suppressor removed. If the gun its at the range and a officer comes up and says Lloyd set that thing down. I can and he can measure everything he wants. Because if nothing else and he thinks something is questionable hes going to confiscate your gun and its going to be a pain to get it back. I even laminate my pistol registration and the copy of the batf letter for each brace I use laminated and keep them in the case I use for that gun. I do it that way and know about 90 percent of the law enforcement around here by first name. If I shot where I didn't id sure as heck make sure my eyes were dotted and my t's crossed. You want to really get one angry. Tell him that some guy on the internet says hes smoking crack and doesn't know the law. Its guys that want to push the limits and claim to know it all that are the real reason the batf is constantly changing laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    As the OP, I measured the firearm in question, it is 25" WITHOUT the folding adapter, just the way I bought it, so under the 26" limit for rifles. Since it is already under 26", (doesn't apply to pistols anyways), I can't see where adding the folding adapter will change a thing in this instance.

Banned
    If stopped your letter shows their point of view as of that date. This in my twisted mindset would show that you in effect have tried to follow the rules and regulations. As for anything anymore it doesn't mean squat.

Banned

that's about it pal. It shows only that on the day that letter was wrote that was the rule. It also shows my intent to follow the law which would probably mean more to the police I know around here then a state tropper in down town Detroit that doesn't know me from Adam. But id have to guess if that stranger is going to at least pause and maybe not instantly throw me on the ground and cuff me. Now if I told him he didn't know what he was talking about because some guy on the interent said------------ well you can imagine. Same in court. If you got arrested on a number of charges and one was that gun that was borderline with the batf and think your going to tell THEM the law, your probably going to be found guilty for owning it. If you prove you legitimately thought you were following the law and have witnesses that will say that and that's the only thing you did wrong and you were polite to the officer that judge is probably going to tell you to take your gun home and make it legal and don't do it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    If stopped your letter shows their point of view as of that date. This in my twisted mindset would show that you in effect have tried to follow the rules and regulations. As for anything anymore it doesn't mean squat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123