Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR question

Banned

Well you should keep in mind you could get someone in trouble by posting its ok. I looked everywhere, even on the ar15 fourm and NOBODY has a letter from the batf saying that. Just a bunch of wanabe experts with opinions. Opinions that could easily get you room and board at the fed pen. The latest batf rulling on folding stocks wasn't even about handguns it was about full sized guns. It was made so that if you had a shotgun with an 18 inch barrel and added a folding stock it would be no longer legal because a full sized gun is measure with the STOCK (no mention of arm brace) folded. It would then have to be registered by the batf and a 5 dollar stamp paid. Same with a full sized rifle. It makes them "non guns" and they have to be registered as other. You either have to buy them and register them at that time or apply for a stamp and get it before you install the folder. Pistols? About everywhere I see opionions (again for what there worth) says its measured by the batf at its longest mode. If it has a 4 position stock it measured all the way out. If your at the range with a flash suppressor on it that's the way they measure it. Again theres no letter saying that. the batf isn't going to write one either. It gives them latitude in who they arrest and who they don't. Just went though it with registering a ar handgun in Mi. Nobody knew what need to be done. Not the dealer or the sherrifs dept. So the sherrif, dealer and I got together on the phone with the dealers batf contact. He asked him and what he said was the batf basically could care less. That is unless your a school shooter or a bank robber. He said that's where the "other" thing came from. It was a way for the batf to sidestep making rules. He said register a ar lower as other and they don't care what you do with it. Again they don't care until they want to care. He said if they make more restrictive laws the gun owners would go nuts and have them in court. If they made less restrictive rules the liberal democrats would have them in court. He told us we were nuts if we thought hed give us an answer he had to stand behind. So if you have access to a letter that is specifically aimed at folding stocks on handguns on batf header paper that says in plain words an ar handgun with a folding stock is measured folded id sure like to see it. I spent an hour searching and sure didn't find that letter.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Does not have to function. Only shoot. If it can still fire a round it has to be measured folded. Go over to AR15.com. They have the letters on there. One company last year was raided and shut down because they were selling PISTOLS with a forward grip.

I'm not going to do the research for anyone. So look it up yourself.

Banned
    Don't go by anything except what has been spelled out in writing by the ATF. Forget about what all the forum experts and wanabes have to say. Call the ATF personally and have them send a letter to the fact. Keep the letter with you so your position can be defended if needed.

Boolit Master

I'm so glad I live in Louisiana (for a few reasons anyway). I can carry 1 or 20 guns "anywhere" in my vehicle, loaded or not, ANYWHERE in Louisiana as my car "is an extension of my home" notwithstanding the federal reg's concerning the anatomy of hybrid pistol/rifles that ATF broke down to a science.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

You know, I just had a thought ( didn't hurt much) , The reason for all the vague answers might just be for a purpose. If you let a problem fester by doing nothing, and gun ownership is viewed as a problem by certain people, and things happen and people get hurt and killed as is happening every day lately, pretty soon there will be a backlash and the demand to just solve the problem like they did in New Zealand. To quote Hillary Clinton, " Turn them all in, Mr and Mrs America" delivered to a tumultous cheers . I believe that the rules are vague , non committal and shifting just to let things get bad enough to cause a confiscation reaction.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 07-31-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Banned

that's exactly what we did. the sheriff my dealer and I had a conference call with a batf employee. We tripped him up on one question and he made a phone call on another line to his supervisor and got that answer for us too. They were actually really nice to deal with. I know its not nessisary but I laminate the registration cards for my ar pistols to prove they are handguns and keep a laminated batf letter for each brand of brace I use and keep them all in the cases I use for those guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Don't go by anything except what has been spelled out in writing by the ATF. Forget about what all the forum experts and wanabes have to say. Call the ATF personally and have them send a letter to the fact. Keep the letter with you so your position can be defended if needed.

Banned
    I'm glad you got a good answer from the BATF. As you very well know it pays to go that little extra and get that letter instead of trying to rely on internet experts. While being well meaning a lot of them simply don't know.

Banned

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content...e_Redacted.pdf

took a whole 5 min to find the letter. Your welcome. Better keep all that info you they gave you and have your lawyer on speed dial if you ever get caught doing something.

Just get a 300bo pistol and wrap the buffer tube if you want. Not necessary, no stock is necessary with the 300bo. No recoil hardly at all. This way you stay legal no matter if brace is outlawed

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Banned

you can fold the crap out of your brace and they could care less because its not considered a stock or a gun. it will probably break though if you try to fold it. Plastic doesn't fold well. Fold your buffer tube and your folding part of the weapon and it will be measured extended. A brace doesn't count because its removable. Let me watch you shoot your ar with the buffer tube removed!! Find me ONE manufacture of a folding ar stock that will say its safe to shoot folded! an ak is a different animal. It is measured folded because it has a brace not a stock and there are no parts folded that are part of the designed operating system of the gun. I think I will trust the batfs opinion of what someone here says. I would suggest you shouldn't trust what im saying either. Call them yourself. Because if you think your going to court and are defending yourself with what I or someone else on the internet tells you your probably going to get a chuckle out of the jury box.
    https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content...e_Redacted.pdf

took a whole 5 min to find the letter. Your welcome. Better keep all that info you they gave you and have your lawyer on speed dial if you ever get caught doing something.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 08-05-2019 at 06:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    best to consult with the atfe, as supposedly they just made more changes to the rules for this.
    This is the best way to ensure that they dick with the rules, I really wish that people would stop doing this. Please stop writing letters!

Banned

It does not have to cycle. Only shoot. That is what they are saying. And that is why a lot of people are pissed off. Never go by what the BATF tells you. Go off of what they put in print. Same thing as with LEO's. NEVER trust what they tell you. They can flat out lie to you and you will be the one that is in trouble. And they will never be held accountable. They also have what is called qualified immunity. If they think they were right you can not sue them no matter what they did or say. That is why it needs to be in writing.

People like you are the reason that some of this has happened. STOP WRITING LETTERS TO THE BATF! It does no one any good.

Boolit Master
    Just to blow everyone’s minds, ATF letters don’t mean much either. The law is the law, the letters are an administrative interpretation of the law at a specific time and related to a specific set of facts. That they sent a letter doesn’t mean that they can’t argue something different at a later date. Sure it’ll be harder for them to take a different position in court, but if they want you, you’ll be broke by the time they are done with you anyway so it really doesn’t matter.

If you can’t get yourself comfortable with the law, then maybe you shouldn’t play in this particular sandbox.

Oh, and stop writing letters!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    This is the best way to ensure that they dick with the rules, I really wish that people would stop doing this. Please stop writing letters!
    they dick with, and change the rules at will whether people inquire with them or not. of course one can go blindly thru life and end up with an illegal rifle/pistol. one could always claim ignorance if busted with one, but the gvmnt dont care about your lack of knowing the law. stick your head in the sand if you wish, but when you end up in jail over it, dont cry.

Boolit Master

IMHO pay the $200 bucks get stamp and have fun!

Cheaper than a lawyer and way better than jail

Boolit Master
    they dick with, and change the rules at will whether people inquire with them or not. of course one can go blindly thru life and end up with an illegal rifle/pistol. one could always claim ignorance if busted with one, but the gvmnt dont care about your lack of knowing the law. stick your head in the sand if you wish, but when you end up in jail over it, dont cry.
    Actually they issue letters very very infrequently except when people inquire. As I said above, if you can’t figure it out then maybe not the game for you to be playing.

Boolit Master

Actually they issue letters very very infrequently except when people inquire. As I said above, if you can’t figure it out then maybe not the game for you to be playing.
    please cite me one instance and show some proof of it that anybody inquiring about anything with the atfe ever, has resulted in a ruling or restriction being changed? i think you guys have your tinfoil on a bit too tight.

Boolit Master
    please cite me one instance and show some proof of it that anybody inquiring about anything with the atfe ever, has resulted in a ruling or restriction being changed? i think you guys have your tinfoil on a bit too tight.
    If you read the second line of this letter https://www.atf.gov/file/11816/download I think it’s clear that they are responding to public inquiries. There are only hundreds pf these letters, flip through them and you’ll see that in general they are responsive to changes in state or federal law, changes in operational procedures for ffls, or public inquiries.

Boolit Master

If you read the second line of this letter https://www.atf.gov/file/11816/download I think it’s clear that they are responding to public inquiries. There are only hundreds pf these letters, flip through them and you’ll see that in general they are responsive to changes in state or federal law, changes in operational procedures for ffls, or public inquiries.
    not what i asked.

Boolit Master
    As the OP, I measured the firearm in question, it is 25" WITHOUT the folding adapter, just the way I bought it, so under the 26" limit for rifles. Since it is already under 26", (doesn't apply to pistols anyways), I can't see where adding the folding adapter will change a thing in this instance.

Banned

glad you think im so important. I trust nobody. Not even whats written because it can be twisted just like scripture. I do know one thing. I would trust what the batf agent said over the phone with 3 witnesses including one that's a county Sherriff over what someone on the internet that got his info from someone else on the internet all day long. Never wrote a single word to question the batf. But smart people do. People like those who are designing braces ect. who want it in words in case they do end up in court. Me? at least I can show up with a sheriff that has a reputation for his word being true and you show up with a copy of an internet post off the ar15 fourm and we will compare outcomes. If writing them brings more rules so be it. At least unlike today we will know where we stand and when were breaking the law and it wont be left in the hands of a batf agent or a judge that doesn't like you to make there own determination.
    It does not have to cycle. Only shoot. That is what they are saying. And that is why a lot of people are pissed off. Never go by what the BATF tells you. Go off of what they put in print. Same thing as with LEO's. NEVER trust what they tell you. They can flat out lie to you and you will be the one that is in trouble. And they will never be held accountable. They also have what is called qualified immunity. If they think they were right you can not sue them no matter what they did or say. That is why it needs to be in writing.

People like you are the reason that some of this has happened. STOP WRITING LETTERS TO THE BATF! It does no one any good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast