WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR question

Boolit Master

AR question

I've never really been into AR's, but thought a short 300 BO with a brace would make a dandy "car" gun. My understanding is it is illegal to install a vertical forward grip, (didn't intend to anyways), but it is ok to install a folding stock adapter. I would really like to be sure on the folding stock before spending the money and getting myself in hot water in the process.

Thanks for any replies.
    Last edited by HATCH; 08-05-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    You may or may not get the correct advice here. Best thing is to check with big brother and local authorities.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

best to consult with the atfe, as supposedly they just made more changes to the rules for this.

Banned

OAL with a folder is now measured with the stock folded. OAL is also measured with the brace removed on a fixed extension to the muzzle with the break or whatever is attached to the muzzle removed. If you have welded or pinned break then it is to the end of such device.

NEVER ask any LEO. They never know what they are talking about. Heck most might try to arrest you for having a SBR if you showed them a AR pistol. They are idiots. And they just want to hang a charge on someone to make themselves feel good.

There are lots of sites that have the new letters from the ATF about the length change. It mainly has to do with a folding brace.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    best to consult with the atfe, as supposedly they just made more changes to the rules for this.
    Do it from a pay phone....

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have the ATF PDF saved on my phone so if I am stopped by LEO I have something to show them its a pistol not a SBR if they even notice the short barrel.
    As far as the folding stock I do not have a clue you could say it will not fire folded so it only counts when its not folded but that makes sense and we know that and government dont go together.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Banned

They will fire but not cycle when folded. The folding adapters and people putting a foregrip on these PISTOLS is the reason for the new letter. That and every Tom Dick and Hairy that keeps calling and writing letters to the ATF. Regulations get changed all the time because of this. It's what happened here.

Boolit Master
    Well, hmmm. I've read the letter and watched a video or two attempting to explain it, and it was about as clear as most ATF rulings to me. Is there even an OAL for pistols, or just these AR/AK types? Pretty sure my LCP misses the 26" limit.. I haven't bought the folding adapter yet, hopefully I can get it through my head one way or another before I do. Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Well, hmmm. I've read the letter and watched a video or two attempting to explain it, and it was about as clear as most ATF rulings to me. Is there even an OAL for pistols, or just these AR/AK types? Pretty sure my LCP misses the 26" limit.. I haven't bought the folding adapter yet, hopefully I can get it through my head one way or another before I do. Thanks for the replies so far guys.
    Been thinking of a foregrip for my LCP as well...

Banned

Still under 26". ATF thinks as long as it is under 26" it is concealable. So it is a pistol. I don't remember what the LOP is. But that also comes into play.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    Do it from a pay phone....
    havent seen one in 20 years. LOL

Boolit Master
    Look into the telescoping braces they are mp5 ste and you can still shoot with them collapsed. Ive really been thinking about an ar "pistol" with brace but intuition tells me they will go the way of the bump stocks.

300AAC pistol is just FUN. Doesn't require the brace.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Pay 200 and buy a stamp?

Then another for a can....

Then do what you want like I did.

8 inch SBR 300 BLKOUT with SWR OCTANE 9HD

I also have a 30 cal can but the SWR is 300 rated and 3 inches shorter.
    With the can it's just over 14 inches on the barrel.

Who ever thought stamp collecting could be so FUN!

Rich
    My feed back

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Small-anvils

I also leave feed back

Banned

vertical grips are a no no but angled grips are fine. As to a folding brace. Its my understanding from our sherrif who called the batf and asked that a guns oal is with the stock unfolded and measured to the end of the buffer tube. Folding a stock that makes it not operational is the same as if you had a take down that the barrel came off. There going to measure it with the barrel on. Nothing illegal about the federally though as long as your gun otherwise is legal. We have it worse here in MI. Our law states that anything over 26 inch oal cant be a pistol. So your gun with a 12 inch barrel meets the federal standards but is illegal in mi because its to long. Michigan too measures from the end of the barrel (not counting removable flash suppressors to the end of your buffer tube IF your brace is removable. Folding stocks are allowed but the measurements are with them unfolded.

Banned

Not anymore Lloyd. They are measured with the stock folded. It is a new ruling and why everyone is throwing a fit.

Banned

can you show me a batf statement with that ruling. Way I understand it is if the gun is operationalble and shootable folded its measure that way. If it has to be unfolded to function like it was designed then it must be measured like that.

Banned

Does not have to function. Only shoot. If it can still fire a round it has to be measured folded. Go over to AR15.com. They have the letters on there. One company last year was raided and shut down because they were selling PISTOLS with a forward grip.

I'm not going to do the research for anyone. So look it up yourself.

Boolit Master
    I guess what confuses me is if it is sold as a PISTOL, what the 26" OAL has to do with it, as practically all pistols are already shorter than that. I can see if the folding adapter makes a RIFLE shorter than the 26" where they would have a problem with it, but I am not dealing with a rifle.

Banned

In Michigan anyway its the dnr that caused the crap. If you have a ccw you can carry a loaded pistol in your truck even in deer season and your deer rifle needs to be unloaded and in a case. By letting you call a gun over 26 inch long a handgun, one that cant be practicaly consealed and in fact makes a great package for shooting deer that doesn't need to be unloaded and cased. So there reasoning is a handgun should be consealable or its not a handgun. Total bs because it would be pretty tough to conceal my 8.5 in ar pistols or even y 7 inch ar pistol. So that is where Michigan comes up with that 26 inch rule. A few years ago it was 30 inch and the dnr bitched enough that they changed it. Theres a bill in the mi house right now that would end all of this silliness. Would even eliminate the need to get a permit to conceal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast