Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 4500/450/45 question

Lyman 4500/450/45 question

So I have some of the Lyman moly lube in my lubesizer. There’s not Much left (I think) but I want to clean out what’s left before I start on my heeled 38 long colt stuff since I’m using bp for it I should probably use my black powder lube. So does anyone have a method that works quickly to run the grease out of this thing? Or am I being to anal about things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

A bit of a mess but heating the sizer with a hair dryer (or heat gun of some type) while upside down always worked for me. The lube would just pour right out and could even be captured for use later.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I was thinking I could plug it in and let it drain but seemed messy. Figured there was a better way.

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Unbolt it, remove your die.
    Hold it or wire it upside down over whatever you want to catch the liquid lube in.

Heat it with a hair dryer or a heat gun. The lube will run out like water when hot.
    You might want to have some protective gloves and some sort of clean wipe or rag to rub the exterior off after it is drained out but still hot. It is really much simpler than you think. Like pouring hot water out of a boot.

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    I was thinking I could plug it in and let it drain but seemed messy. Figured there was a better way.

EDG

I take out the H&I die, and dismantle the rest, and put the body in my smelting pot (cut-down 20 lb. propane cylinder), and boil the lube out. It comes out very clean. I then let the water cool, skim off the lube, and pitch the water.

Dry when just cool enough to handle, and blow a few minutes with a hair dryer as it is already warm/hot, and done. I tried a hair dryer to get the lube out once and it took longer than I was happy with. Still did not get all of the lube out. JMHO, YMMV.

Moderator Emeritus

Lyman Super Moly is some messy stuff, much messier than other lubes...the moly really stains. I assume the Super Moly is what you are talking about. Because of that, I would just keep lubing other boolits until you totally run out, then add your new lube and continue to lube boolits until most of the Blackness is gone...a tiny bit of blackness will remain for a long time, but that isn't a big deal if 98% of the lube is your BP lube.
    that's my 2¢
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    The new lube just pushes a track in the retained lube,with just a streak of black ,at the most.........I always use moly in bullet lube ,its magic stuff,and even a trace positively prevents leading (unless you overdrive and strip lead)......never had Lyman lube ,tho just make my own using Moly GR2 grease from a large drum Ive had for 40 years...........I know it was magic stuff in the cranes ,stopped stick slip chatter,and squarking immediately on pumping some in the bearings.

Boolit Master

I'll just keep adding new lube until the old stuff is displaced if you don't mind the transition color change...

Boolit Grand Master

He's going from smokeless to a BP lube and probably wants it clean. That's why I have two lubesizers - one smokeless and one pistol/PB lube.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

USMC 77, USRA 79

i am afraid I am with JonB on this one,, i never drain my lube... just keep lubing till i get the color I want out... there are always some bullets around here that need sizing and lube to run out the lube with..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Moderator Emeritus

Another strong agreement with JonB in Glenco and similar posters! I will add that following moly in one of my 450's is what honestly prompted the purchase of my second! I did the heat-gun trick and was 100% sure I got all out -- but, by golly, the next 75 or so bullets still had smears/traces/lines from the stuff. It is still a mystery to me where it has been hiding? Lonnng time ago, but I believe I was doing pistol bullets, not recalling their calibre. But, again, seeing a used unit listed on this site at a most reasonable price -- I snapped it up -- being such a "smart" move, I even have a couple more . Soooo easy to change the H&I dies; more than a wee pain to change the lub -- imho, of course .
    geo

Boolit Master
    Just buy another sizer/luber for your Black Powder bullets. And switch them when needed. No problem switching lubes from one to the other.

Yeah I’ll clean this one out for now another lil one coming so my shooting budget got smaller again so can’t just haul off and buy another one. I’ll keep my ears open though might find one on the cheapo.

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m watching this thread closely. Although I have three units and am bidding on another, I till want to have the correct lube in the press of my choice (without contaminants) so I’ll need to clean out whatever is in it at the time I get it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I tore mine down and put it in a disposable aluminum foil pan filled with water and placed in on the grill and boiled all the old lube out.
    Just make sure the press in completely submerged, once the lube is melted it will float on top of the water and can be skimmed off.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Mold
    Somebody knows where to find a replacement handle and link for the 450 lubricator, the same one lyman uses know for their 4500.
    Thanks
    Bema

Banned

I think you're being anal.......just use it!

Boolit Master
    Reading with interest because I am ready for something better than pan lubing. The SPG lube is supposedly recommended for black powder, so even though I have only experimented with black powder, I used the SPG for pan lubing when using smokeless and it works quite well, so when my 4500 gets here, I think I'll just load it up with SPG and be happy.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bema View Post
    Somebody knows where to find a replacement handle and link for the 450 lubricator, the same one lyman uses know for their 4500.
    Thanks
    Bema
    It appears they no longer show the handle upgrade kit or any other parts for the 450 on their website.
    So, you would need to call them, to ask for availability and order it.
    They list phone numbers on the "Contact us" page of their website.
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/contacts/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Reading with interest because I am ready for something better than pan lubing. The SPG lube is supposedly recommended for black powder, so even though I have only experimented with black powder, I used the SPG for pan lubing when using smokeless and it works quite well, so when my 4500 gets here, I think I'll just load it up with SPG and be happy.
    Friend Dale53 turned me on to Emmert's Lube. According to tradition, Buck Emmert developed it it as a Schuetzen lube for use with "modern" smokeless powders, but then it was discovered to work well with BP as well and has been heartily embraced among BPCS and N-SSA shooters. The basic formula involves beeswax and Crisco with other, lesser amounts of lanolin, oils, etc. There are several variations, but if you search a bit, you should be able to find one that works for you. I've added a little carnauba wax when I used it for pan lubing, but have plans to pour some sticks of it for one of my Lyman 450s. The most interesting thing about this formula (besides the relative economy with which it can be made) is that it seems equally at home in bullets powered by Black or Smokeless Powders.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast