RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBs needed? Prismatic Powder. First time PC'ing

Boolit Buddy

BBs needed? Prismatic Powder. First time PC'ing

I called a few PC shops asking about selling powder and one said yes. I got 4.5lbs in 4 different colors of what all seem to be Prismatic Powder.

My first batch of 200gr 40sw was about 75%. I heated the bullets too hot I think, around 200 degrees and several bullets clumped during tumbling. I also tumbled in a #2 plastic jug with no BBs. I'm in Northern Cali and humidity is low and it's about 90 out.

I baked these and they came out pretty good. Passed the smash test.

I then tried a different color in a large #2 protein powder tub. Swirled a bit and shook up and down, dumped on screen and baked. I didnt get 100% coverage but not that blotchy. They are 238gr SWC 454s.

Will add BBs help the initial coverage with a decent powder like Prismatic? The powder is all probably a year or more old but was zipped tied closed. I'd like to do large batches and might hit the dollar store for #5 containers OR add some BBs to the protein tub. It would be nice to bake to trays at a time.

Boolit Master

its an art form, some people in some areas swear bb's aint needed and others in other area's swear you cant do it with out them. they work for me. some have good luck dumping the boolit to bake, it dont seem to work for me. all you can do is try different things until something clicks for you.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned
    It depends on the PC and the humidity

the higher the gloss the better/easier ASBBDT

Boolit Master
    I live in the Gulf Coast so typical sumer is jungle like humidity. After trying a number of powder suppliers I use Smoke & Prismatic Powders. If you Shake & Bake stay with the high gloss solid colors; if you spray every powder works. Prismatic has a terrific supply of colors, but most WILL NOT coat using the Cool Whip Shake method. I recommend Smoke for everyone just starting out because if you have a problem you know it is not the powder.
    I use a vibrator tumbler I made, so the amount of vibration can be adjusted. I coat 6 pounds of bullets at a time and preheat as a standard practice to no more than 150 F. I use black BB's because I have found they give me better coverage. Using a tumbler I end up with even one coat solid color coverage that is well bonded. The tumbling process creates a powder coverage that less fragile than the shake or spray coating methods. Since the machine is doing all the work, I can let the bullets tumble as long as I want to assure good results.

Boolit Master

Im one that does not need the BB’s

BUT ILL NEVER SAY DONT USE! They create surface area to helpmcreate static electricity.

Try them no harm no foul and they aint expensive.

I also dont see a need for #5 plastics...

I do like large containers tho so taht alone creates surface area and helps create static electricity too.

Last weekend it was triple digits and couldn't be more humid. I powder coated some 7/800 pcs with ZERO PROBLEMS!

If your not getting good coverage you either have bummpowder or your not creating enoigh static.

Choose a known good color/brand and try again. If still no. Are your bullets clean? I prefer to PC almost straight out of the pot. Meaning after they cool. I stope in flat trays lightly COVERED and PC as soon as I am able.

OLD bullets can be problematic. Esp bullets that have been around or handled. Blotchy coverage from Them is normal.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    If I lived in Central Connecticut I might not use the BB's either since your high humid point is about 80 and an average closer to 50. We have had days where the reported humidity level is 100% and it wasn't raining. Fact is moisture kills the static charge and dry air increases it, so we all do what we have to to make the process work.

Boolit Master

Well...

I DO live in central CT and I just said what you just said... Maybe cause you said it its now more true...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    If I lived in Central Connecticut I might not use the BB's either since your high humid point is about 80 and an average closer to 50. We have had days where the reported humidity level is 100% and it wasn't raining. Fact is moisture kills the static charge and dry air increases it, so we all do what we have to to make the process work.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

i got 5 gallons of prismatic powder from a local shops air colector and the best way i've found to get it to stick is with a HF vibratory polisher for 5minutes . nice thing about that powder is you never know what color the boolits will be once baked

Boolit Master

I've used BBs and the no BB basket technique. The basket is so much easier. I let the baked PC cool 15 minutes before breaking the bullets apart and if I get too many bad spots just coat and cook them again.

I use a protein powder container from GNC, 2 tablespoons of Eastwood Ford Blue and a heaping handful of boolits, no BB's, and shake for about 1-2 minutes. Perfect every time, and I see no difference on the coverage with humidity changes and I live in MA. The other day I tried out some of my old Harbor Freight Red that I used to use when I first started PC and they did not come out as good. The Eastwood is worth the extra few bucks to buy. I also have their gloss black which i have not tried yet, but heard it's also a winner.

Boolit Master
    It's interesting how different locations seem to require different processes for powdercoating.

Living in South Carolina, I just stuck with what I started with (#5 heavy Rubbermaid container, black bb's, and Smoke's colors). I shake gently, but I shake for a minute or two. Done it in humidity high enough to seem like I'm breathing water and done it when its dry outside. The process just works for me. I love this stuff.

While I've experimented with the loads, I haven't experimented with different ways to powdercoat. When I started, I bought enough containers and bb's so each color had its own dedicated set up. It wasn't very expensive and I have the space.

I think adding black BB makes the coverage better. Swirl the plastic container with no bullets for a few seconds, then add bullets & shake.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned

ive don't it with and without in a shedds spread container and in my tumbler and didn't see where the bbs did a thing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    It's interesting how different locations seem to require different processes for powdercoating.

Living in South Carolina, I just stuck with what I started with (#5 heavy Rubbermaid container, black bb's, and Smoke's colors). I shake gently, but I shake for a minute or two. Done it in humidity high enough to seem like I'm breathing water and done it when its dry outside. The process just works for me. I love this stuff.

While I've experimented with the loads, I haven't experimented with different ways to powdercoat. When I started, I bought enough containers and bb's so each color had its own dedicated set up. It wasn't very expensive and I have the space.
    I think you summed it up nicely, what works for one local might or might not work for another. Whatever works best for you is the way to go.

Banned
    Shaking might be one of the problems,

You develop more static by swirling the boolits in the container.

The container should have a #5 recycling mark (in the triangle) I believe some people use #2 but haven't tried them

Shaking the container/boolits is a good way to destroy the container and/or damage the boolits.

IF you can't touch the warmed boolits with your bare hand they are too hot to put in the PC powder.

black BB's work but so do these for less $ at wally world

I have many PC powders that don't need BB's but I find BB's help give a thinner/more even coat

Boolit Mold
    Here on the Oregon coast, I use the black bb's and a Rubbermaid container. I have used Eastwood and Smokes powder. I don't shake for longer than 30 seconds and I get good coverage. I also pick the bullets out of the container by hand and stand them on a cookie sheet lined with a silicone baking mat and bake them that way. I found that wearing a nitrile glove does not disturb the powder coat while picking them out of the container. I bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes minimum. I also do not preheat my bullets before coating.
    Last edited by VanceH; 08-25-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Banned
    Vance, PC may look good after a short bake time but it is not fully cured thus in time the PC can react to the gunpowder

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...PC-long-enough

Boolit Buddy
    I've powder coated bullets via shake and bake method in 100 degree 100 percent humidity weather in a large cool whip container using smokes powder and eastwood powders and never had a problem. Same for north western Nevada.
    I've also powder coated bullets in a large protein powder jug. Both the cool whip container and the protein powder jug were #5 containers.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Vance, PC may look good after a short bake time but it is not fully cured thus in time the PC can react to the gunpowder

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...PC-long-enough
    I've never had a bad coat. No leading in my barrels.

Boolit Mold
    I have also found that putting the black airsoft bb's with powder and my bullets in my Lyman 1200 turbo tumbler with no liquid results in very evenly coated bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast