Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering new lever gun

Get the Henry Big Boy (steel if you don't like the brass) H012. It's smooth and shoots great.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

I have had Marlins and winchesters for many years. I have handled and shot Rossis just not owned one untill last weekend. Mine is a PUMA model so a little older but new enough to have the safety lever.

There are a few videos in uTube that show the tear down and are simple enough with simple hand tools a bit of patience and a little rainy day time. Trick with a dummy case fixes the one problem assembly issue with the extractor position and stiff spring. Results are HUGE!!

I have t shot my Rossi yet, but discovered it appears to have 1:38 ish rifling twist. So my fav 300g bullets are likly NG. But I have a few 255’s molds that still should shoot.

My suggestion is you search these cideos and watch and decide for yourself if your up to the task.

I did mine Sunday in the rain in about a hour and a half. Never having disassembled a 1892 and only having watched the videos. My PUMA is not very smooth and smoother than a new Marlin by a lot. What i really like about the ‘92 is the ease of loading. Also mine seems very forgiving to OAL. IT actually is feeding the long seated RUGER length dummies. 1610 oal!!

Good luck,

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    The marlins are easy to strip and smooth up ,Winchester 94 are simple enough as well .I've no doubt a 92 should be straight forward as well.if I can't strip a gun I don't want to own it.

Boolit Master
    I have a Rossi R92 in 44 Magnum I bought in November of last year. Mine weighs 5 pounds and for just plinking around my place the factory pedal to the metal loads would be too much; so I load 7 grains of Unique with an Oregon Trail .431" 240 grain swc - runs about 1150 fps. One point, like most gun manufacturers the original trigger pull was 5 1/2 pounds. Thanks to Steve at Steve's Gunz - I got in a trigger spring which brought it down to 3 1/2 - 4 pounds. I have not had any feed problems with my 44 Mag handloads - note that it will not feed 44 Special at all. But I am quite pleased with it and it is a keeper. I intend to have my gunsmith mount a Williams 94/36 receiver sight on it at some point.
    Last edited by JoeJames; 07-23-2019 at 05:22 PM.

I’ve read that the marlins use less parts and are inherently smoother “feeling” even if they are similarly worked over and worn in. I haven’t handled a marlin yet either.

Well I have to thank you guys, I feel a little more inspired to work on the Rossi and maybe, maybe I can stave off another firearm purchase because in reality, like all of us, I don’t need another one. When will I grow up?
    And maybe the right marlin would come in a different caliber than 44mag anyway.

So for the Rossi loading gate sharpness, I’ve been reluctant to smooth it out because the bluing will be gone there but I could touch it up with cold blue I guess. Just dont want to make things worse tinkering, as that has happened under my watch lol.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Drew, first off that is too much for a 44 Mag IMO. Does it have a safety on it? If not it is worth a little more but I got this one plus 50 rounds of ammo for $600.

With that said I also have a Rossi in 45 Colt.

Point I'm trying to make is both from the factory are clunky as all get out. But I did nothing but cut a couple coils off a spring in the Rossi and it is slick as can be! Cost me $0. The Marlin with a one piece firing pin can be worked with 2 fingers.

It all boils down to what you want. If you like that cowboy top eject which IMO is just too cool, then the Rossi is the ticket.
    That is a pretty Rossi! Did you refinish it?
    Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDuke View Post
    That is a pretty Rossi! Did you refinish it?
    Duke
    Duke,

Yes and no. It came with the dark typical Rossi finish on it. I refinish about any Marlin I get my hands on because I honestly find Marlins from the factory to be ugly. Opinions...You know.

Anyways I have a concoction of oil that I put on my Marlins and I usually keep it mixed up and around. The oil has a red tint to it and anytime I get the Rossi out I hand rub a coat of my oil on it. I'm assuming that is why the Rossi has the red/orange tint to it. But in reality I couldn't for sure say that the oil penetrates whatever finish was on the rifle originally. The placebo effect is telling me I'm making it look better though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12