RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 327 federal magnum 125gr keith data?

Boolit Bub

327 federal magnum 125gr keith data?

I'm new here, so I'm not entirely sure I'm putting this in the right spot, but here goes. I ordered 500 of the 125gr keiths from RimRock for my 327 federal. I do have data, but the three powders listed(Longshot, Power Pistol, and AAC-9) are three that apparently nobody carries or can(read will) order. And I can't bring myself to spend more on the hazmat fee than a pound of powder costs. I do have some feelers out(a couple of people that order 100s of pounds at a time, so I could order my powder with theirs), but in the meantime, I was hoping that someone could point me towards some other usable data. I do have some Trail Boss, which I guess would be safe, but I was hoping for something more around the 1200fps mark.

Do you have 2400? 9.5-10.0 grains is a good load in my S7’s and gp100 with an mp “mjolnir”. It comes in at 127gns solid made from acww’s. You can also try 11.5-12.0 grains of h110. This has also worked well for me with the mp bullet. The 10.0gns of 2400 and 12.0gns are pretty stout. Always start low and work your way up. I haven’t chrono’ed either, but I would guess around 1300fps. I also load the mjolnir with a large hollow point, which weighs 123gns, with 4.7gns of unique. This is a mild load, and is around 1050-1100fps. What gun are you using? Rifle or revolver?
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Bub
    No 2400. Is W-231 a possibility? I have a bunch of that for my 38spl

I don’t use w231 or hp38 in .327, but it will work. You might not get 1,200fps. I have a pretty good data base for .327. I will check it and get back to you.

I found some data for w231 with a 115gn bullet. 4.3gn start 5.3gn max 1217 fps. You still didn’t say what you are shooting them in. If a single seven, blackhawk, or gp100, I would feel comfortable using that data for a 125gn bullet. If not, I would be comfortable up to about 5.0gns. Remember, always start low and work your way up! Good luck and happy shooting!

Boolit Bub
    Sorry. Single Seven, 5.5". About how much of a velocity loss could I expect?

I believe that data was from a 5.5” barrel. With the heavier bullet you will lose some, but it will be negligible. Try it and see.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you have Bluedot, H110, IMR4227, or AA#7?

Boolit Grand Master
    If you can possibly find any Accurate 7 or 9, they both work well with my heavy (125 grain) NOE bullet based on the old Ideal 3118. To be perfectly honest, they are the only powders I've tried in it though, because they were already on my shelf. Do I understand your op correctly that the Accurate powders are not available to you locally?

BTW Where are you located? Maybe somebody on the forum can help you out.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    You will have to seat that bullet deep I think to fit in your single seven so if you find data worked up in something else you will need to back up on the powder charge.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Do you have Bluedot, H110, IMR4227, or AA#7?
    I might be able to find H110. The one place locally carries a limited selection of Hodgden powders.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll have to check later, but I do have notes for H110. You will be running fast, probably 1350-1450 fps.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can get your hands on some Bluedot, that can be loaded down a bit to get close to your 1200 fps.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'll have to check later, but I do have notes for H110. You will be running fast, probably 1350-1450 fps.
    There's no pressure issues pushing that fast?

Boolit Grand Master

Not with H110, and those speeds are only estimations based on your deep seating requirement. If you could load to a longer OAL, guys have loaded the 135 grain hollow point "32 sledgehammer" to 1550 fps in similar length barrels. I've personally loaded a 120 grain SWC to 1550 fps and only stopped because accuracy was long gone (plain base). You cannot down load H110 much, but your short OAL should help some. Bluedot, AA#7, Unique, or 800x would be some common powders that would work well for the speeds you want.

Boolit Bub
    G'day from Downunder

G'day , I am using 4.4 grains of WW231 driving a 115 grain cast Hi-Tek coated bullet in my encore 10" pistol for Silhouette ( field pistol ) and it has become my go to load , the cases are clean after firing not filthy like when using trail boss and it is very accurate so much so that I have stopped shooting my .270 Ren barrel on my encore .

Regards Paul .

Boolit Grand Master
    vincecyr, this is like pulling teeth. If you will tell us what powder(s) you have, which ones you can get, and where in the country (world?) you are, all in one post, it will be possible to try to help you. At this point the thread is on its 17th post (your 5th) and we still haven’t gotten enough info to actually help you.

We now have the following info;
    1) you want to load heavy (135 gr) bullets in 327 FM
    2) your gun is a Ruger Single Seven w/5.5” barrel
    3) you have experience loading 38 Spl with 231 powder
    4) you have some Trailboss, but no data to get your desired 1200 FPS out of it safely

Does that about sum it up? I’m not trying to bust your chops here, but if you want help from afar, you’ll really need to give us a little more to work with.

Regards,
    Froggie

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    vincecyr, this is like pulling teeth. If you will tell us what powder(s) you have, which ones you can get, and where in the country (world?) you are, all in one post, it will be possible to try to help you. At this point the thread is on its 17th post (your 5th) and we still haven’t gotten enough info to actually help you.

We now have the following info;
    1) you want to load heavy (135 gr) bullets in 327 FM
    2) your gun is a Ruger Single Seven w/5.5” barrel
    3) you have experience loading 38 Spl with 231 powder
    4) you have some Trailboss, but no data to get your desired 1200 FPS out of it safely

Does that about sum it up? I’m not trying to bust your chops here, but if you want help from afar, you’ll really need to give us a little more to work with.

Regards,
    Froggie
    They are 125 grain, not 135. I have W-231 and Trail Boss(as well as Accurate 2460, and H4895, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to use them). I live in upstate NY(Chenango county, if that helps), and the only place I know of nearby that still carries reloading supplies has a limited selection of Hodgden/Win/IMR powders, and they will not special order anything. They might call you if they get something in that you are looking for, but only if somebody remembers.

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, now we're getting somewhere! I'm loading a similar bullet in my 327s, but as others have said, OAL is going to be problematic in that Single Seven's relatively short cylinder. I'm going to posit that your best results within the criteria you have set will be from H110. If I were going to do what you are talking about I might look into using 32 H&R brass so I didn't lose so much of the OAL to the brass. You can get the same powder capacity you would have left after deep seating the bullet in Fed Mag brass, so your net result would be the same.

Another suggestion I would make is that you e-mail customer service @ Hodgdon and ask them for recommendations using the 125 grain bullet and H110. They don't post everything they know on their website.

Also, if nobody on this forum is close by and can help you with other powders, you might try the American Single Shot Rifle Association. A lot of ASSRA competitors live in upstate NY and shoot with AA #7 & #9 and may be able to hook you up. You might try their forum at ASSRA.com and see what shows up. Wish I were closer so I could spot you some powder, but as you say HazMat shipping costs more than the powder is worth. I've got about 20 lb of the late, lamented H108 that loads similar to AA #9 and it is very promising in the 327. Also, if you hear about any surplus powder called "Carbine Ball" or WC820, they are also excellent choices to use the same way. You never know what might turn up when you look.

Froggie

Boolit Bub
    I did email Hodgden, their response was that the had done no testing with that bullet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast