MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Any cartridge Sharps owners in here? What is causing this?

Any cartridge Sharps owners in here? What is causing this?

I figured I might get some help from here. I haven't shot my new Cimarron Sharps yet but I did drop in a new unfired case and when fully seated in the chamber the block is very hard to close and makes marks on the brass. Further, when I open the block the shell literally shoots out of the gun like a single shot shotgun does. What is going on and should I shoot it? Here are the markings the gun makes on the brass.

I loaded it 3 separate times as you can see from 3 distinct marks.

Vendor Sponsor

Either there is a burr on the lip of the firing pin hole in the breach-block
    or
    the firing pin is not retracting all the way inside the breach-block Because you have not put the hammer in the half cock notch before you lower the breach-block to open the action.

First, try putting the hammer in the half cock notch every time you open the action. That may be your only problem.
    Second, remove (by dropping out) the breach-block and lever assemble by removing the pin and inspect the face of the breach.
    Chill Wills

Please delete thread, I figured it out

Boolit Grand Master

Well, tell us what you found. Don't be shy, if it was a faux pas on your part it may help another Sharps owner...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Sharps and most Sharps reproductions don't have a rebounding Hammer or firing pin. You need to set the hammer to half cock so the firing pin can retract back from the case. I believe the 77 was the first retracting firing pin and the brochardts the first rebounding hammer on sharps.
    Also check the firing pin and channel for burrs and tight spots, it needs to move free or even with the hammer at half cock it may leave a light line

So out of the 28 brass casings I have I somehow managed to grab the only one that needed to be sized. I called Cimarron which was of NO help other than to direct me to a gunsmith in Texas that was beyond helpful and nice. I mean seriously, if you guys need any work done there aren't many out there as nice, maybe as knowledgeable since I don't know that much but certainly not as nice. His name is Lonnie Ammon.

Anyways he said he shoots 50/70 quite a bit and asked if I full length sized the new brass yet. I said no and he asked me to try some other ones, which I did and felt dumb that I wasted the guy's time. But I did learn something and hopefully can bring him some business.

Cimarron on the other hand said something was wrong with the rifle and asked if I could send it in but first wanted me to try and fit "factory" 50/70 loads. I told them Walmart was all out and then explained there really is no "factory" 50/70 loads. Then I mentioned that I planned to reload in which they basically said "Woah woah woah...We can't talk about reloading. And there was no telling what I had loaded the rounds to." I explained again it was NEW EMPTY BRASS with no powder, no primers, no projectiles. He said he understood but they couldn't help me past giving me Lonnie's number or suggesting I buy Buffalo Arms factory ammo. I told them there was no way I was paying $70 for some ammo to see if the new rifle was ok.
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 07-22-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

There is a silver lining.
    You also learned....
    One of two things is making a drag mark on the rear end of your unsized case that should not.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

WOW they make a rifle in an unobtanium cartridge and then don't expect you to reload?????.