RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *URGENT* Original Remington 1858 Navy HELP

*URGENT* Original Remington 1858 Navy HELP

Alright so let me start off by saying that I don't know anything or very little about revolvers, even less cap and ball. Im a rifle guy.
    BUUUT im interested in buying one and a guy has a "Cheap" one for sale for 1400$. Around here they sell for 2500-3000 decent condition.

Now the issue is that he said someone ground down the original hammer so it doesn't engage in the safety notches, and they also ground down the face of the cylinder leaving a larger then original gap, causing alittle fps loss.

He is including a new Pietta hammer and cylinder.

The gun is browned patina all over, and he says the action is really nice and crisp, in shooting condition.

IS IT WORTH IT?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The going price for NMA revolvers is in the ball park for the asking price for the one you think is a deal. Plus it is not Original after being buggered with
    Shop around and condition is the key to value ... https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...58%20remington
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

you can get a reproduction for a fraction of that, and use the rest of the money for supplies.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

The OP's location is probably why he wants the original.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    The OP's location is probably why he wants the original.
    You got it. Im not allowed to own any repros, only antiques.

Boolit Master
    I have an original that came with a spare Pietta cylinder that works just fine. Will the original hammer pop a cap? I have several antiques that will never be shooters, but if your goal is to get a shooter, make sure that a repro hammer will work if the original doesn't.
    If it is a shooter, in good condition, that price is within reason (just remember how old it is when you shoot it). None of my antiques are everyday shooters.

There are guys in Canada that can help. You should contact members of the Canadian International Muzzleoading Team. These guys compete with originals and know what it takes to keep them running.
    Mike is the guy I know here in the US. He can be reached if you pm him via this thread.
    He knows the Canadian guys well.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59749

Alternatively, you can search online for the Canadian team and reach them directly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    learn something new every day around here.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Thats why I moved from Kanaduh to Merika (legally) and became a citizen with 2A rights !!!
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeto303 View Post
    Thats why I moved from Kanaduh to Merika (legally) and became a citizen with 2A rights !!!
    Unless like me, behind the iron curtain of kommifornia

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I have an original that came with a spare Pietta cylinder that works just fine. Will the original hammer pop a cap? I have several antiques that will never be shooters, but if your goal is to get a shooter, make sure that a repro hammer will work if the original doesn't.
    If it is a shooter, in good condition, that price is within reason (just remember how old it is when you shoot it). None of my antiques are everyday shooters.
    The guy said it worked fine. The rifling is strong and action is smooth and crisp.

Boolit Grand Master

The guy said it worked fine. The rifling is strong and action is smooth and crisp.
    Caveat emptor

Boolit Master
    I would contact the folks on the 1858 Remington Forum where they have a bunch of folks knowledgeable about originals. 1858remington.com/discuss/index. GF
    Last edited by Gray Fox; 07-23-2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: additional information

Boolit Master
    Just remember, if you pay $1400 for this pistol that Bubba customized, you will have a very hard time ever selling it. If you want it that much, offer him a thousand bucks. If he says no, wave good-by. By the way, I live in Kommiefornia and I legally own many pistols both original and antique. Why don't you consider moving south, say to California. You are the kind of immigrant we need and would love to get.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Just remember, if you pay $1400 for this pistol that Bubba customized, you will have a very hard time ever selling it. If you want it that much, offer him a thousand bucks. If he says no, wave good-by. By the way, I live in Kommiefornia and I legally own many pistols both original and antique. Why don't you consider moving south, say to California. You are the kind of immigrant we need and would love to get.
    Thanks but il stay sipping my maple syrup for now. I bought it for 1100$.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Thanks but il stay sipping my maple syrup for now. I bought it for 1100$.
    $1100-Cdn is a good, fair price in your neck of the woods. While your moving to California would improve the local demographic, you would feel more at home in West Virginia and you can make maple syrup here to mix with our local corn whisky.

Attachment 245749Attachment 245750Attachment 245751Attachment 245752Attachment 245753
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-24-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

I wouldn't touch it at that price! Unless you have a source for an original cylinder and hammer!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I wouldn't touch it at that price! Unless you have a source for an original cylinder and hammer!
    Be thankful you live in the USA and especially The Republic of Texas. In Canada they can't have repros, only antiques, not quite as bad as living in UK, but the Liberals are diligently working to make it so...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Be thankful you live in the USA and especially The Republic of Texas. In Canada they can't have repros, only antiques, not quite as bad as living in UK, but the Liberals are diligently working to make it so...
    Every year the law changes on Antiques and Handguns. This is my first Handgun so Il see how it goes.

Im supposed to get the gun friday.

Can someone enlighten me on what caps to buy and I can use Conical or round ball right?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast