WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Alloy Help

Boolit Bub

Alloy Help

So i have bought about a ton of alloy (94% lead, 6% antimony) in 30kg ingots. I am certain the alloy will be hard enough but would I need to throw in some tin for mold fill? If so, I was considering 1%, so 300 grams. This will be for bullets that will be loaded to less than 1200 fps. Will this be good enough or should I go with 2% tin for a proper hardball alloy? Lastly, and I am by no means a math boffin , am I calculating the tin correctly or is there some other arb formula to add metal to an existing alloy?

Boolit Master

Boolit Bub
    thank you, seems I missed this calculator.

Boolit Master
    I use tin because I have it. Other casters here have stated that they get good fill out without it, simply by running the melt (and mold?) a bit hotter.

Hardball isn't needed for everything. If you're loading pistol at moderate velocities a 3-1 or 3-2 alloy may do fine.
    Last edited by kevin c; 07-23-2019 at 02:14 AM.

Banned
    Why do you need hardball alloy for 1200 fps?

COWW only has .5% tin The proof is trying it and see how it casts and shoots

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I use tin because I have it. Other casters here have stated that they get good fill out without it, simply by running the melt (and mold?) a bit hotter.

Hardball isn't needed for everything. If you're loading pistol at moderate velocities a 3-1 or 3-2 alloy may do fine.
    Thanks Kevin, yes these loads will not exceed 1200 fps. I will give the alloy I have test and will report once I have put a few bullet downrange.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Why do you need hardball alloy for 1200 fps?

COWW only has .5% tin The proof is trying it and see how it casts and shoots

Thanks, yes I agree, it should be casted and tested. I will definitely try the 94-6 alloy I have without the tin. If I dont succeed with a good bullet I will throw tin in 0.5% increments.

Boolit Buddy
    Tin is not just to aid flow. In equal amounts with antimony it stops the alloy from being brittle and shattering on impact.

Heck I have a good amount of soft lead, if you want we can trade. That way you can dial in the amount of antimony you need for a given application.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Don1357 View Post
    Tin is not just to aid flow. In equal amounts with antimony it stops the alloy from being brittle and shattering on impact.

Heck I have a good amount of soft lead, if you want we can trade. That way you can dial in the amount of antimony you need for a given application.
    Don, thank you for the offer. Unfortunately I am on the other side of the pond. Specifically South Africa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try casting without first. In 9mm & up sizes, I do fine without adding any tin. I think too many people add tin & too much when they do. 1% would be a max unless you are dealing with something like 20-1 lead/tin for LHP.
    Been awhile since I was in RSA, I have a friend with a farm up in the OFS. I need to get back for another trip.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Try casting without first. In 9mm & up sizes, I do fine without adding any tin. I think too many people add tin & too much when they do. 1% would be a max unless you are dealing with something like 20-1 lead/tin for LHP.
    Been awhile since I was in RSA, I have a friend with a farm up in the OFS. I need to get back for another trip.
    I’ve turned on the new machine and started casting. Had a few rejects as the molds were heating up but after a few throws got nice shiny bullets. I hope to bang some samples tomorrow.

RSA has changed a lot, spending when you were here last. Come over and visit, we can do some safari and then some bush hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk