MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: 1st firings of cast 380

1st firings of cast 380

A very generous member from another forum supplied me with a bunch of 356-102-R1 cast Lee bullets to try out and help me decide if I would like to start casting.

Well I loaded some with AA#2, A 2.8gr load and a 3.0gr load and then used a variety of lengths starting at .970" and moving down to .955".

My intention was to shoot these thru my S&W EZ380 and my Witness Pavona 380 only yesterday when I went to the range like an idiot I left the magazine for the Pavona on the loading bench where I left it to plunk test these.

Anyways the EZ seemed to shoot these fairly well but didn't like the long ones. So now I will load up some more and maybe also try some with either some HP-38 or Silhouette. But so far these seem like a very nice plinking load.

Boolit Master

I keep meaning to load for 380, but I don't shoot it very much.
    That could be because the only firearms I have that shoot 380 are small and somewhat difficult to shoot.

However, they are my hot weather carry, so I should shoot them more.

Bookworm, I had always wanted a Berretta Model 84 then EAA came along with the Witness Pavona a few years ago and it is pretty much the same size and capacity and a new one could be bought for just over $300.00 So I bought one. My thought was to use it as a training aide as I could load it cheaply. Then S&W came along with the 380 EZ. Shot it and fell in love. Even the wife likes it and she also shoots a 45acp!

With these cast lead bullets and light loads in the EZ I could have shot it all day Sunday and never got tired. At 10 yards I was consistently printing 5/6" groups with a standing two hand grip. The more I shot it the smaller the groups got. I had more fun shooting this Sunday than my friends SR22

Boolit Master
    I shoot the Lee 102 in my 1976 AMT "Back Up" .380
    I powder coat mine, and they seem to do well.
    It is a Belly Gun, so I am not as worried about accuracy as I am with function.
    I will have to find my Data , but I believe I was using Bullseye or Unique.
    But my loads seem to function Great, even when I forgot to re assemble it without the Extractor.
    Being a blow back can be forgiving at times.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I load cast for .380 and shoot them in original Ruger LCP, Beretta M1934 and SIG P230. In all use Accurate 35-120H cast of COWW, lubricated with Lee Liquid Alox and sized .357" for SIG and .358" for Ruger and Beretta, all with 2.5 grains of Bullseye, OAL 0.925-0.955". Powerful, accurate load which cycles reliable in all of the guns.

Attachment 245760Attachment 245761

Above 7-yard target fired with Ruger LCP.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Just received today some more samples from another member of some coated Lee 356-102-1R and some TL 356-95- RF. Very interesting is seeing these compared to the other 102. So I cannot say enough, Thank you guys, you've been very kind and generous!

Now I was unable to find any cast load data on Western or Hodgdon so I fell upon the old adage that plated are loaded the same as cast, only reversed. I do have the Lyman book; Pistol & Revolver Reloading Handbook and there is load data in it but it is quite dated. In it there is a load for a 92gr RN and a 100gr Conical. the 92gr has data for 700X, Bullseye, Unique, 231 and the Dot powders while the 100gr show Bullseye, AA2, 231, 700X, AA5, Unique and 2 of the Dot powders.

The load for the 100gr bullet using AA#2 show a start of 2.0gr and a max of 3.4gr.. The Western Plated 100gr with AA#2 was 2.8 to 3.4 I believe. and have shot a lot of 100gr plated with 2.8gr and 3.0gr and they have always performed very well.

So I also have a lot of HP-38 powder so I may have to load a few with it also.

Initial impression is I believe I can load cast lead 380 and shoot it in my guns w/o much of the headache that comes with the 9mm round. Which is encouraging!

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the 102 gr R-1 from Lee, in my S&W Bodyguard.
    It is my practice ammo. Not my carry ammo.

I like it.

I do have a hard time with those small cases.
    Glad that I do not reload 25acp!!

Take care
    Abenaki

Boolit Master
    The small cases are a problem and I pinch my fingers a lot.
    But I DO load .25 ACP's as well as .22 LR's.
    So it is just part of the game.
    But, I let the wife be the "Range Chicken " and find all the empties she can.
    After all, she shoots most of them

So I've spent time this week working up 2 loads with the TL-95gr bullet that are powder coated and that went quite well. Was able to load 20 with AA#2 and 20 with HP-38. The HP-38 I had to use the Lee Auto Drum measure because the Auto Disk wouldn't drop light enough. I have a few more of these 95gr bullets to load then I will be working up some of those 102gr powder coated bullets to compare with the bare lubed ones.

Now if these shoot as well as the first sample I believe I will start looking for equipment and lead to try doing this myself!

Boolit Master
    You may have seen this disk from titan but I use it for some tiny powder charges .
    https://www.titanreloading.com/titan...n-micro-charge
    Last edited by onelight; 08-04-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Yes I have and have also seen the mod to add a setscrew to the disk and also have the Micro Adjustable disk.

kmw1954: I just started loading the 380 myself. I had so many pieces of 380 brass from range pickups that I bought a Ruger LCP to shoot them up. Also, I got the Lyman 90gr, #356242 mould and powder coat the bullets. I like to use the RCBS Little Dandy for the small charges. Gp

I've shot hundreds of cast 380's from my PPK, I couldn't see any difference from jacketed bullets.

Thanks folks, So far I am really enjoying this trial. This afternoon I took the 356-102 coated bullets I have received and sorted them into two weights 101.5gr or more (42) and 101gr or less (30). Not quite sure which powder I'm going to load these with so I might wait to see how the 96gr bullets go with the HP-38.

Now I'm more seriously looking at a lead pot and a couple molds.

I bet the HP-38 works as well as most. So far I've tried bullseye, TiteGroup and PB. Red Dot is the next try. Gp