Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Wanted: Rcbs green machine parts

Wanted: Rcbs green machine parts

Edited AGAIN! They DID make at least parts and dies for the 44 Magnum.

I have been shown a powder Expander Drop Tube for the 44 magnum and at least I now have a factory large pistol Primer Transfer Bar

I am looking for any RCBS Green Machine parts. I have 38/357 parts and dies and modifyed/fabricated what I needed to make it work for 44-40.

STILL WANTED:
    86594 - rear rail brace
    86650 - Expander Drop Tube - 44 Magnum
    86536 - Case Feeder Base
    86705 - Bullet Feeder Guide - 44 Magnum
    86749 - Primer Seater Rod
    86755 - Primer Catcher Bottle
    I am open to all parts.

THANKS!!!!
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 07-26-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Try Ebay.

Boolit Master
    Call RCBS

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    Call RCBS
    I did, they no longer support the Green Machine

Quote Originally Posted by mullthing View Post
    Try Ebay.
    I did, I am also keeping an watchful eye on ebay too.

It is also my understanding that RCBS did not make it in 44 Magnum so I will keep looking for 38/357 spare parts to modify as I need them.

Here is what I have so far for the 44-40 modification

Boolit Bub
    To be blunt: Probably cost you as much to modify your Green Machine as to buy a Dillon 550. Cost you more than the 550 if have to go custom with a machinist fabricating what you need. Cheapest route to a progressive is via Lee; about $200, less if you buy used. Pretty easy to mix-match Dillon shell plate parts. Look up their index on line and see how many of the ctgs you load for share common shell plates and locator pins. Not like you need a kit for every ctg.

Green might be a great machine, but if obsolete??? Don't take much work to mod the 550 to enable match quality loads at 250+ per hour rate, and I'm talking bottleneck rifle loads. Good luck on your search etc, but what's your time worth and how long you willing to wait? The 550 is a real workhorse and could be operational for you same day you get the shell plate. Order the press, comes w/powder measure, and your .44-40 kit and you're in business... the #N shell plate and 13600 funnel are not common, but the #4 locator pins are. Might be the ticket to both a solution and solid upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by edward hogan View Post
    To be blunt: Probably cost you as much to modify your Green Machine as to buy a Dillon 550.

Green might be a great machine, but if obsolete??? Don't take much work to mod the 550 to enable match quality loads at 250+ per hour rate, and I'm talking bottleneck rifle loads. Good luck on your search etc, but what's your time worth and how long you willing to wait?

Probably?---you sir are incorrect....that's a bold statement....

Cost so far

$125 for the machine

My time...about 40 hours...for the the experience....priceless, it's a hobby

Future adds to get it running:

$30 - Primer tube and extra pick-up tube
    $30 - Bullet Seater Guide for .428 bullets

Total - $185....and I wanted the Green Machine, not a Dillon

It's God's gift to be mickanicly inclined!!!

Boolit Mold
    First time seeing one of these very nice. Thank You OP

Quote Originally Posted by buellsfurn View Post
    First time seeing one of these very nice. Thank You OP
    You are welcome...I like it a lot!!

Savvy Jack - I have a couple of these machines (four to be exact) in various states of ranging from complete to big-pile-o-parts. Let me inventory the parts that I have and I may be able to provide you with bits and pieces. Maybe enough to make a mostly complete machine? I'll look this weekend if time allows.

DdB

Quote Originally Posted by darrondb View Post
    Savvy Jack - I have a couple of these machines (four to be exact) in various states of ranging from complete to big-pile-o-parts. Let me inventory the parts that I have and I may be able to provide you with bits and pieces. Maybe enough to make a mostly complete machine? I'll look this weekend if time allows.

DdB
    Most excellent sir. I may just start collecting all the parts I can get. I have a story to tell but will have to wait for a while before I can tattle!!!!!!

Sending you a pm now.

Quote Originally Posted by darrondb View Post
    Sending you a pm now.
    Dont have a PM that I can see here nor do I recognize one from you as darrondb @ email curtisshawk21@gmail.com Just send one there if you have not already. Sometimes I have a hard time finding message stuff!

Boolit Buddy
    Mr. Hogan:

The Green Machine can be troublesome, but the vast majority of problems arise from not paying attention. I get closer to 400 rounds per hour, INCLUDING loading the case feed tubes and dumping primers into the tray.
    1. Powder dumped onto the case transport requires both not noticing a failure to drop a case from the tubes AND not pulling the powder measure pins to skip powder dump on the empty station. AND not bothering to just plug an empty case into the sizing station when a case doesn't drop--my preferred fix.
    2. Unprimed case happens by not noticing that the stupid wheel rotator arm has flipped over AND not watching that the vertical feed tube that thing drops the primers is getting low OR primers have bunched up and the wheel isn't getting them, AND doing nothing when the tell-tale signs of no primer being seated. The fix is super-easy: rotate the wheel so there's a primer down there, manually pull the primer transport bar towards yourself until you hear a primer drop into it (I am a grateful beneficiary of my Dad being a BIG advocate of hearing protection!), and just pushing the lever forward to seat the primer.
    3. The worst jams are on sizing/decapping and yes, they can tie the machine up for a long time. Crimped primer pockets are awful--but that's still on operator error as far as I'm concerned. Range pickup brass with badly mushroomed primers do NOT want to drop through the combined primer exit/primer seating hole in the transport bar. Again, that's operator error. Finally, not emptying the spent primer jar leaves nowhere for spent primers to go, again jamming up that primer exit/seating hole. Still operator error.

YES, a very well-designed machine will be less prone to this last set of problems. But a good man or woman will recognize and accept the level of user error and learn, rather than throw the machine against the wall in rage.

Learn it, work it properly, and the Green Machine will serve you well. To me, it's a bit like following all Four Rules at the same time.

My finished project, modified for 44-40

My purpose was not to try and convince anyone this is a better, cheaper, trashier, etc press. This was MY project, what I liked and what I enjoyed doing and thought I would share FOR THOSE INTERESTED....but there always has to be that ONE person...

Modifications (based off memory) to the press to enable use of the 44-40 cartridge cases.
    1. Enlarge Case Feed Base Assembly case feed hole (86530)
    Rather than modify each Transfer Pawls (86602) for larger 44-40 case rim,
    2. Shaved off .043" from face of Case Extension Block (86610)
    3. Enlarged Case Transfer Bar small pistol primer hole to large pistol primer hole.
    4. Shifted primer hole to the right .043" during enlarging to for large pistol primers
    5. Sanded beveled edge of Case Rails back to 90deg. (now have new old stock parts from RCBS)
    6. Replaced Primer Transfer Bar Assembly (86758), small primer... with new large primer hole (unknown part number)
    7. Replaced Little Dandy powder hopper/dies with Lee powder through die and auto disk (temporarily until I can get a 44 Mag Green Machine Expander Drop Tube ( unknown part number) (located one, now to purchase it!!)
    8. Enlarged 38/357 Mag Bullet Seater Guide (86705) to accept .428 bullets.
    9. Installed a Redding primer tube.

Existing 44-40 dies used...RCBS "Cowboy" Decapper/resize, RCBS "Cowboy" roll crimp and a Lee Powder Through die with Auto Disk powder measure.
    The final product for now:

Total out of pocket cost.
    Machine - $125
    Bullet Seater Die/Modification $35
    Redding Primer Tube $15

TOTAL - $175

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Nicely done Jack, it's nice to see the discontinued stuff put back to work. May I suggest it's time for this thread to be moved by a mod to the "Reloading Equipment" section of the forum for all to peruse.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Mold
    Well thanks savvy jack now i want one of these . But for now i'll stick with my three single stage units . Thanks again sir

Quote Originally Posted by savvy jack View Post
    edited again! They did make at least parts and dies for the 44 magnum.

i have been shown a powder expander drop tube for the 44 magnum and at least i now have a factory large pistol primer transfer bar

i am looking for any rcbs green machine parts. I have 38/357 parts and dies and modifyed/fabricated what i needed to make it work for 44-40.

Still wanted:
    86594 - rear rail brace
    86650 - expander drop tube - 44 magnum
    86536 - case feeder base
    86705 - bullet feeder guide - 44 magnum
    86749 - primer seater rod
    86755 - primer catcher bottle
    i am open to all parts.

thanks!!!!
    thanks guys!!!