Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crazy find at the local public range.

Boolit Master

Crazy find at the local public range.

First day in a long time my back wasn’t bothering me to the point of having trouble walking, so I decided to go for a short motorcycle ride. I haven’t had any windshield time this summer. About 8pm I came up to the road that goes down to the conservation shooting range. I don’t shoot there but sometimes I do go there to pick up brass. I decided what the heck, probably too hot today but I will see what I can find, so I turned down the road and parked at the range. No one was there. I guess I met the last folks leaving on my way in. From the parking lot I could see there had been some activity because the trash cans were pretty well full.

There is a small creek that separates the parking lot and the range and there is a concrete bridge that crosses it. I always look in the water as I cross because sometimes folks lose things in water or they throw stuff in the water. As I looked down I saw a long funny shaped stick laying there in about 6 inches of water, didn’t think anything about it until I got up to the benches. I found a Military type sling, an old leather ammo pouch, and what looked to be a mosen nagant cleaning rod. There was lots of old milsurp 7.62x54R steel cases laying around, as well as the usual suspects, like 9mm,45acp, and 223, nothing I wanted to pick up so I grabbed the sling pouch and rod and headed back across the bridge to put the items in my saddle bags. As I was crossing the bridge the light wasn’t as bad on the water and that funny looking stick looked more like a gun.

Now I have heard guys jokingly say they were going to toss said rifle off in the brush, but never in a million years would I have believed someone would actually do it. I worked my way down the bank and sure enough there was the rifle that the cleaning rod went to. I pulled it out of the water and it still had so much cosmoline on it that the water beaded off of it. I put the cleaning rod and sling back on it after shaking the water out of it,slung it on my back and rode home.

I pulled it apart and dried it then cleaned it real well. The bore doesn’t look to bad for an old military rifle, it is for sure good enough for a cast boolit shooter. There is a few scratches on the wood and a couple small scratches on the blueing where it hit the rocks, but other than that I can’t find a thing wrong with it. It is a model 91/30, and it looks better than a lot that I have seen. I don’t know what they are worth but it ought to be worth more than nothing. I thought about one years ago when they were $100 for a cast shooter, but couldn’t justify the rifle, dies, and mold costs. I hate Lee dies but they are cheap and will work for what I want to do. Now to find some cheap brass.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Nice find. Cool points if you rode home with it slung across your back?

Cool.

The only thing I ever found that was thrown away like that was golf clubs.

At a local golf course, one Tee and green/hole backed up into a wooded area that us kids used to hang out it.
    I'd seen golf clubs wrapped around a tree there a couple times.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

In Remembrance

Sweet find boerrancher, hope it works out for you. That would be an added bonus to someone else's wall hanger/creek filler.

Boolit Master
    Sweet find! Wonder why the previous owner threw it in the creek? Check Graf's for brass.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ategoryId/771?

ETA: Guess all they have in stock now is Lapua. So much for cheap brass.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Hahaha. God story nice find!!

All I ever find are occasional ram rods... DOWN RANGE!

CW

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

They didn't leave you any ammo? Some people are just rude!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

They're better rifles than a lot think, at least mine have been. Pretty good cast shooters too, and now all the manufacturers have boxer primed brass available.

Clean her up and start working with it, I bet you'll like it for the price. Gotta wonder what kind of idiot would do that.

Boolit Master

That is a once in a lifetime find I'd say. Good thing you are pretty observant or you might not have seen it. Not to put a downer on your bonus gun, but if it were me I'd at least check the register on stolen guns just to be sure it isn't listed there.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Boerrancher,

You may want to report that "find" to the local LEO. Just to "CYA".

Yeah perhaps it sounds like I am being a bit too, "Joe Citizen", but I mention it for your own protection.

Suppose the owner has regrets and goes back to retrieve the rifle & it is not there, so he/she decides to report it as stolen to the LEO so to perhaps collect some insurance $$ on the loss.

It could even have been those folks you passed as you went to the range & if they say that the last person they saw at the range before it went missing was a guy on a motorcycle & they describe, "you" as a possible suspect.

Now they have a description of a possible "suspect" & a supposedly stolen rifle...

That nice "find" may not be so nice, if such a scenario I mention happens.

Better to report your "find" (Make sure to get a receipt for it.) & see if someone comes to claim it who is not in anyway related to the LEO office you report it to. If no one claims it then such "found" items should be returned to you as "your" property since it was "abandoned". If it gets claimed, then the claimant should be willing to offer some sort of a "finders fee"/"reward" for your honesty. ( If not & likely not due to the actions of throwing it away, but perhaps there is a bit of good in an idiot.)

BTW, I would not be doing any more "cleanup" for the other person who previously owned said rifle either, as it may not end up being "yours", if you do report it...

"Better safe, than sorry".

{With my luck, the scenario I described above would end up with me in legal troubles, so I would report the rifle & hope for the best... I am not willing to take the chance on things going bad for me & perhaps losing my firearms rights, or at minimum, dealing with the legal issues. The rifle, to me, would not be worth that. }

Do as ya like, & I think it is a great find for ya, "if" there are not other strings attached to the find that come up later on like the scenario I described.

G'Luck! on whatever ya decide to do!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

One man's trash is another's treasure...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Sweet find! Wonder why the previous owner threw it in the creek? Check Graf's for brass.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ategoryId/771?

ETA: Guess all they have in stock now is Lapua. So much for cheap brass.
    Patience! My guess is they will have PRVI brass in stock soon.
    John
    W.TN

Yep! You can be notified when it's back in stock.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    What you didn't get a background check?
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

No, he went back to check the ground.

It wasn't the Indian trail range was it?
    I pick over that range regularly.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Boerrancher,

You may want to report that "find" to the local LEO.

>>>SNIP
    I have to agree with JBinMN's suggestion.
    I'm not sure what type of unhinged individual tosses a rifle into the creek and leaves the accessories strewn about, in a public space, but I surely wouldn't want a connection to people like that, without a police report.
    that's my 2¢
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Philistines,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    These things happen. A friend told me when he was a kid, he handled a shotgun unsafely, and his dad took the gun away from him. Threw a double barrel Greener in the river. Another friend snagged an old .32 Winchester when fishing. I bet someday someone will snag one of the guns I've lost in various lakes over the years.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    What you didn't get a background check?
    I'm sure he looked behind him before he picked it up. He stated it was still covered with cosmoline. I bet the previous owner cleaned the bore out with the first shot. The recoil must have been sweet. I bet he couldn't hit diddly squat and was mad as hell. At least he helped the "new owner" out by throwing it in the creek after firing all that corrosive ammo. Nice find. The last batch of 91/30's I saw at AIM Surplus were priced over $300.00. Years ago my local boomstick vendor would get them by the crate. I have 1 each per year Tula Arsenal starting in 1920-1945 and the same for Izzies. I was paying $79.95 + sales tax a pop with all accessories. With a C&R no background check fee.I bought so many he gave me the empty wooden Russian rifle crates.Whenever he got a new crate he would call me so I could break it open and I got the pick of the litter.The early years are converted dragoons.I think I made a good investment. This dosen't count the original 91's,M38's,M44's,91/59's and the various Fins I picked up over the years.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Master

I will not take it to my county sheriffs office. Too many firearms disappear from there. I know the Sheriff and he is a good man, but he inherited a swamp full of bottom feeders for officers, but he has been removing them. I am not concerned because I won’t sell the rifle and it will never leave the Farm because I have my own ranges built and I can shoot out to 1000 yds. No need for me to ever shoot anyplace else. There is also a million Harley Davidsons in the area because until March of this year the only bike dealer was strictly Harleys.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast