MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pewter?

Boolit Master

I was in the RE-Store yesterday and they had a candy dish and a small candle holder base. Total was $3... But they had the Orange tags on them which meant they had been there long enough to be half price. I felt like I got a real good deal.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I was in the RE-Store yesterday and they had a candy dish and a small candle holder base. Total was $3... But they had the Orange tags on them which meant they had been there long enough to be half price. I felt like I got a real good deal.
    If the two items weighed 1/2 pound and you got them for $1.50 (half of $3) then you hit the generally accepted "good" price. However on purchases that don't cost much it is really not worth worrying about too much. Even if the total weight would mean that it would be $4 to $5 a pound you are only out the $1.50 and come home with a little tin. Little bit here, little bit there... eventually it is a nice little stash.

I'll pick up those small pewter vases when I find them at $1.99 even though they are less than 1/2 pound. I figure what the heck, couple of bucks, still cheaper per pound than anyone else is selling it for. I won't buy those small pewter vases at $3.99 because that is just too much $$$ for the weight. Now if one was buying several pounds, or many dollars were going to be spent I think it pays get more particular about the price per pound. For 10 pounds I don't want to pay 4 or 5 bucks a pound. For 20 lbs. I would go over $3 per pound just for the large quantity.

I picked up a digital postal scale that goes to 11 lbs. Can be plugged in or run on batteries, I carry that with me most times I'm out looking for pewter. That and the calculator on my phone make price per pound calculation a snap, and it can be easy to over or under estimate the weight without a scale.

I think you did good to snag them and not pass on the opportunity to get some tin.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 08-08-2019 at 02:10 AM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I think about and buy pewter like RogerDat. I figure that, while the cost per pound might be higher for some items, I have to take into account the cost of my time, effort and gas in getting to the point where I'm face to face with a possible buy. Unless the item is in a store is on a route I travel for other reasons, and regularly, I'm not going to go back for the item to see if it is still there on discount day (and lots of times it's not). I'll accept a slightly higher price for that reason, figuring on other occasions I'll score better prices that'll average out to my aimed for average price.

Boolit Buddy
    I made my first scrap pewter finds here yesterday. A plate and 4 different cups. Around 3lb for 17bucks. Which is pretty sweet considering 1lb of pure tin from the foundry is between 20-25 dollars.

It's melting down as I write.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12