Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: MAK 90 Any love or knowledge of a value?

MAK 90 Any love or knowledge of a value?

An older acquaintance of mine was asking if I knew anyone interested in a MAK 90 that he purchased back in their heyday. No details on the rifle whatsoever. I can go over to his house and give it a gander if it is any kind of DEAL.

I really never had any desire to own one when they were $200, but it might be fun today.

He said he got it and a 1000 rounds of ammo in some sort of package deal. Said he shot it only a very few times.

Questions that come to mind for me.

Wasn't most of that bulk ammo corrosive? Are there areas of the gas system that had to be cleaned to avoid damage?

Assuming it is not damaged, any clue at to the value of the rifle or the munitions supplied?

Thanks for your insight.

Banned

If it is Chinese ammo then yes corrosive. Most all ammo was then. But some of the Russian stuff was not. These go for around $1K here if it is a legit preban

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I remember they were $299/$249 back around 90’ when the sks $89 dump was going on. If you don’t want it let me know. Just remember there’s an asking price and a selling price.

I had one once. It had a thumbhole stock. I sold it to a "prepper" who buried it out in the woods in a plastic tube. When he went back for it a year or two later a road had been bulldozed right through where he had buried it and he never recovered it. Probably just as well, because he also buried a couple of SKS rifles that were extremely rusty when he dug them up.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Bet who ever bulldozed it up was excited!

Boolit Buddy
    Corrosive isn't a real problem with them as they were chrome lined and chrome gas piston.

That said long term storage with corrosive would and could cause other parts to rust up.

In other words if he shot a few rounds and just stuck it away it would have a 50/50 chance of rust somewhere.

I have a pre 89 polytech and a Norinco the blueing on these rifles will rust just looking at them.
    The MAK90 is the same Norinco gun just chopped to be importable.

Also the blueing on these AK's is some of the BEST you will ever see on a mil surp. gun.

In original config ( thumb stock) they seem to sell for 800 around here in PA.

Check it out and offer what you feel it's worth. They are very easy to convert to PG and stock. Mostly just parts swap to 922r no major hacking on the gun it's self.
    A buddy has one he converted and it looks good.

Rich

Boolit Master
    Current market I think around $600 with the ammo.

Boolit Master

Corrosive is and was a problem even with chrome lining , saw a neighbor blow the gas tube off a sks from shooting quote mildly corrosive , no such thing as mildly it is or it is not , with that said not all chinese was corrosive , older military yes , commercial they were selling then no it was not corrosive , shot lots of it through mak90 and sks rifles , steel core ammo in the green box i think is not something you can sell thank bill clinton and gang for that as it is quote cop killer being steel core , those were actually pretty decent guns , the mak90 was a thumbhole stock made to be imported with feature friendly looks , will not guess as to price go to gunbroker see what they are selling for with bids not asking price .

Banned

All the Chinese even the NON-COR was corrosive. It may have said it was not but it was

Boolit Master

Well I can say all that I shot that was marked non corrosive did not rust and living in the liberal west if it can rust it does , and yes I have shot old gi ammo 30-06 and old 303 cordite loads so I do know how corrosive ammo is , and none of the stuff I got was corrosive other then the older copper washed stripper clip chinese ammo , and all the chinese ammo shot a lot better and more accurate then the wolf/brown bear /tula stuff , and my nephew who I bought a pretty nice no4 mk1/2 got into my old navy arms cheap 303 mixed loose they sold back in the day shot it and did not clean and last time I saw that rifle the barrel was a sewer pipe

Banned

Cordite is erosive. Along with corrosive primers. Different thing totally.

The China Sports or whatever it was called. In a teal blue box and was a soft point was corrosive. And the yellow box FMJ was also. At least the stuff I had was. We did a nail test. You pull a bullet and fire just the primer. You slip the barrel over a nail and fire it. Then wait to see if it rust.

Boolit Master

Cordite is erosive , and the primers were also corrosive and there lies the deal with that ammo , I hunted in the wet woods here in washington and never had any rust on my mak 90 or the sks , shot the yellow box green box never got any teal blue box stuff , also bought the older on strippers at the local gun store , sold it by the stripper , and that was corrosive along with the east german stuff that was available , as to the mak 90 they were ok hated the thumbhole stocks , palmetto has there akv in 9mm and with the slick trigger they have I watched a friend fire his just like a bump stock , burning up some less accurate ammo . Pretty cool , if I was getting another ak style it would be one of those , as to the mak 90 I liked the nhm 91 better.