Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Vortex Scope Question

Vortex Scope Question

Been looking at the Vortex 4x12 scopes, but I am wondering which might be the better scope the Copperhead or Crossfire Series?

I have no experience with Vortex but I do like Nikon. Midsouth has Nikon Special 4-12X40 BDC on sale for $99.99. Regular price $219.95. I don't know about shipping as they are on the other side of town. I bought a few of these and I like them. Great price. Follow the Link. They also carry the Vortex you are looking for.I hope this helps.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...e-matte-finish
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a new TC Compass with the Vortex Crossfire2 ,and Leupold Rifleman high rings that was offered with it.I knew the rifle was going to have a short lift bolt,and thought high rings were ridiculous. I intended to change them with a lower set ,well I got my rifle,and scope,and realized that the power zoom ring on that s ope was of such a width,and diameter that it hit the scope base in rings any lower than the high ones that came with the package.The scope was clear,and bright,and held zero during the time I owned it.I dont know about the Copperhead,but the Crossfire2 is Chinese.

I have a couple of the VortexII models on my 22lr rifles. They work a treat there. The ballistic drop lines match up well with the ammo I use.

Banned

I believe all vortex optics are Chinese. Nothing wrong with that. The Chinese and Japanese make optics today just as good as the Germans. Vortex crossfires compare favorably with ANY scope in there price range. problem may lie in the 4x12 choice. About any scope over 9x that used at longer ranges needs an adjustable parallax. No biggy to me. A 9x scope will let you shoot game and any sane distance and there usually the cheapest scopes in the manufactures lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I bought a new TC Compass with the Vortex Crossfire2 ,and Leupold Rifleman high rings that was offered with it.I knew the rifle was going to have a short lift bolt,and thought high rings were ridiculous. I intended to change them with a lower set ,well I got my rifle,and scope,and realized that the power zoom ring on that s ope was of such a width,and diameter that it hit the scope base in rings any lower than the high ones that came with the package.The scope was clear,and bright,and held zero during the time I owned it.I dont know about the Copperhead,but the Crossfire2 is Chinese.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I believe all vortex optics are Chinese. Nothing wrong with that. The Chinese and Japanese make optics today just as good as the Germans. Vortex crossfires compare favorably with ANY scope in there price range. problem may lie in the 4x12 choice. About any scope over 9x that used at longer ranges needs an adjustable parallax. No biggy to me. A 9x scope will let you shoot game and any sane distance and there usually the cheapest scopes in the manufactures lineup.
    I have a Redfield 4-12 that does NOT have an adjustable objective, when set higher than 10X it is noticeably less clear! I should have bought the 3-9X, cheaper and would do what this one does with less weight. If you buy ANY scope over 10X make sure it has an AO!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Moderator Emeritus

I believe all vortex optics are Chinese.

...SNIP
    Some are made in China,
    Here is a good explanation of where the diferent models are made.
    https://bestar15scope.org/where-are-vortex-scopes-made/

I haven't worked with a copperhead, but I bought several of the Crossfire scopes, when they came out with the Crossfire II.
    The ones I bought were closeouts through GearHog and pricing was crazy cheap. The four Crossfire scopes I use are every bit as good as the lower shelf Leupold scopes...just as clear...just as bright...and I am a big fan of Leupold.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I have had,and still have some Japanese glass that I like,and the only decent Simons scopes I ever had were made in the Philippines one was an ATV (All target variable ),and as much as I hate to give Simmons much credit it was a nice scope.I have an old Bushnell 4-12×40 AO,and I have had it on a lot of rifles,and it has been a good one..I had a Burris Predator Quest on a rifle I bought used,and it was the only Burris that ever gave me trouble.I was surprised when I took it off to send it in that it was made in the Philippines. .I do think that the majority of the newer lines of some Chinese scopes such as the Crossfire,and them Sig Sauer Whiskey models that are similar to each other are worlds away better than the Pronghorns,and Blazers,and such,but I do think the makers of these type scopes are being somewhat misleading about the country of manufacture .The packaging usualy make it clear it is an American company,and the only reference about China is in small print on the bottom of the tube.

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    I own multiple Vortex optics. 2 crossfire, a viper post, and a diamondback.
    Vortex is just as good as Leopold and they have a much better warranty. Vortex goes the distance to please customers. For example, I dropped my sunshade for my viper pst on concrete and ruined the threading. I called vortex customer service and they sent out a new one for free with a lens cloth the very same day.

I purchased a new scope and took it to the range and fired 30rnd or so of 450 bushmaster trying to get it to sight in, when all of a sudden the reticle turned inside the scope. Figuring that the scope was broken before hand I called vortex.and told them what happened and they offered to upgrade my optic in order to compensate for the expensive ammo, they also mailed out the optic before I mailed the broken one back.

If you dont need a adjustable AO on your optic get the crossfire. If you do need a adjustable AO on the optic I recommend getting a diamond back. I have a 3-12×42 diamondback and highly recommend it. The model number is dbk-10015

I have a crossfire 1-4×24 on my 45acp carbine, and am thinking of getting one for my 300 blackout. This is a excellent optic for the for 45acp and should be great on the blackout pistol also.

I have not used the copperhead line of vortex since the crossfire and diamondback had more of the features I wanted for not much more $.

I run mil-radian FFP PST Gen 2 w/Vortex rings ad Bases on my Bolt Guns around 1000.00
    and Mil-Radian Diamondbacks FFP w/ cantilever mount on my Gas guns about 400.00 if your a vet Vortex has a really nice discount
    FFP = first Focal Plane
    Switched out from Leupolds VX3s, VX6s, Shepherds and Zeiss Conquests to Vortex and never had any regrets VORTEX = Excellent Customer service and Excellent Glass 5 Star

Just Remember when you buy any glass and have multiple rifles to rig its a good idea to run either all MOA or All Mil-Radian pick one system and learn the math
    1 Mil = 1 meter at 1000 meters Clicks are usually 1/10
    1 MOA = 10 inches at 1000 yards clicks are usually 1/4

30MM tubes have more room for adj of the crosshairs = more MOA/MIL adj for elevation and windage vs 1 inch tubes

FFP point of impact does not change when when you crank the Magnification up or down
    SFP point of impact changes when you change the variable Magnification up or down
    SFP =Second Focal Plane
    Last edited by Gunners Mate; 07-24-2019 at 12:30 AM.

Banned

are you just saying that out of the blue or do you have experience with leupolds warrantee. Its life time not exceptions. I had two go bad. Both original generation vari x 2s.One my own fault. One I dropped and the power ring jammed and the tube was bent. The other was a 3x9 that I bought used in the late 70s and about 2 years ago it lost its gas seal. Im sure the orings just dried up. Both times leupolds sent me brand new scopes and not rifleman or vx1s. they sent me vx2s that put the old ones to shame and did it for free. You are the first ive ever heard of that had a problem with Leopold's customer service. Only scope manufacture I ever had problems with was bushnell. The absolute only time ive been told by a scope manufacture that my warrantee is expired. Even they replaced that 4200 after they realized I wasn't going to give up. I think even they now have a lifetime warrantee so that sure doesn't play into my decisions on what brand to buy. Heck a tasco has a life time warrantee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramson222 View Post
    I own multiple Vortex optics. 2 crossfire, a viper post, and a diamondback.
    Vortex is just as good as Leopold and they have a much better warranty. Vortex goes the distance to please customers. For example, I dropped my sunshade for my viper pst on concrete and ruined the threading. I called vortex customer service and they sent out a new one for free with a lens cloth the very same day.

I purchased a new scope and took it to the range and fired 30rnd or so of 450 bushmaster trying to get it to sight in, when all of a sudden the reticle turned inside the scope. Figuring that the scope was broken before hand I called vortex.and told them what happened and they offered to upgrade my optic in order to compensate for the expensive ammo, they also mailed out the optic before I mailed the broken one back.

If you dont need a adjustable AO on your optic get the crossfire. If you do need a adjustable AO on the optic I recommend getting a diamond back. I have a 3-12×42 diamondback and highly recommend it. The model number is dbk-10015

I have a crossfire 1-4×24 on my 45acp carbine, and am thinking of getting one for my 300 blackout. This is a excellent optic for the for 45acp and should be great on the blackout pistol also.

I have not used the copperhead line of vortex since the crossfire and diamondback had more of the features I wanted for not much more $.

Boolit Master
    are you just saying that out of the blue or do you have experience with leupolds warrantee. Its life time not exceptions. I had two go bad. Both original generation vari x 2s.One my own fault. One I dropped and the power ring jammed and the tube was bent. The other was a 3x9 that I bought used in the late 70s and about 2 years ago it lost its gas seal. Im sure the orings just dried up. Both times leupolds sent me brand new scopes and not rifleman or vx1s. they sent me vx2s that put the old ones to shame and did it for free. You are the first ive ever heard of that had a problem with Leopold's customer service. Only scope manufacture I ever had problems with was bushnell. The absolute only time ive been told by a scope manufacture that my warrantee is expired. Even they replaced that 4200 after they realized I wasn't going to give up. I think even they now have a lifetime warrantee so that sure doesn't play into my decisions on what brand to buy. Heck a tasco has a life time warrantee.
    I have sent in a redfield (owned by leupold) that was bought new and mounted and then I noticed it had a chipped lense right out of the box. They told me because it had been mounted already that they where not covering it under watantee but I could pay to have it repaired. Instead of cutting my losses I agreed assuming a new lense couldn't cost that much but by the time it came back it cost almost as much to repair as I had paid for the scope.

#2 i have a 1-4 vx2 that changes point of impact at different power settings and I sent it back and they returned it with a note saying they found nothing wrong with it. So I have to zero it and leave it on 4x to hit any thing with it.

Leupold can pound sand. You can run a Vortex over with your truck and they will replace it.

The only rifle I have with a scope on it (AR15 w/20in barrel) has a Vortex Crossfire 4-12 AO mounted on top of it using the vortex brand scope rings. So that should tell you how much experience I have purchasing scopes.

That being said I have had no issue with it. It was a good price, their warranty is supposedly great (if I ever need it), and it has held zero ever since I dialed it in. There have been no issues regarding point of impact with each magnification setting I use when I set the parallax to the proper distance I am shooting at.

The only time I had an issue with POI vs. POA was due to user error. My buddy was making fun of me as I was getting frustrated that I couldnt hit a pop can at 100yds. Turns out he had loaded a few of my mags up with 55gr bullets and I had sighted the rifle in using 62gr. Switched back to 62gr ammo and POI was right back on POA.

Banned

I wont say what you posted isn't true but it raises a few eyebrows. Give you another example of there coverage. I have a buddy I do crop damage shooting with. He had a vx1 on his 2506. He shot a deer in the field and was gutting it so I drove the truck over to give him a hand. He got it gutted and we loaded it in the truck and he forgot all about his gun. I proceded to drive right over it. When we realized what happened we went back to get his gun and found the objective lens on the scope bent over at least 10 degrees and the objective lens popped right out of it. He sent it to leupold with letter telling them exactly what happened and two weeks later a brand new scope was in his mail box. Tell you another reason my eyebrows are raised. I was told by an "in the know" guy that I wont say his name but would bet most here have heard it that leupold doesn't fix rifleman and vx1 scopes because it doesn't make economic sense. They would have to pay an employee 30 bucks an hour plus benefits for 2 or 3 hours work fixing it. Leupold has less then that into making a new one. All three examples I was privy to showed that out. I also had two redfield revolutions I bought at the same time when they first came out. Neither would track worth a bean. Sometimes changing elevation would change windage and vise versa. Sent both back and was sent two new scopes. Didn't even bother trying them. Put them up for sale the same day I got them from leupold. Like I said im not saying it didn't happen to you but your the first one in the last 20 years that ive heard had to pay for a repair. Back in the 70s they would sometimes charge for a repair mostly because they had little competition in the market place. Today about any manufacture has a life time warrantee. If they didn't nobody would buy one. All I know is if leupold made trucks with that warrantee id be the first in a long line to buy one. We are spoiled in the gun industry. Used to be companys like Dillon and rcbs were standouts because of there warrantees. Now just about every thing you buy other the lee or lyman and about every gun you buy has a lifetime warrantee. Heck you can put together a psa ar15 for 350 bucks and slap a 150 dollar redot or scope on it and the whole right has a lifetime warrantee. What other hobby do you have that you can make that claim for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mica_Hiebert View Post
    I have sent in a redfield (owned by leupold) that was bought new and mounted and then I noticed it had a chipped lense right out of the box. They told me because it had been mounted already that they where not covering it under watantee but I could pay to have it repaired. Instead of cutting my losses I agreed assuming a new lense couldn't cost that much but by the time it came back it cost almost as much to repair as I had paid for the scope.

#2 i have a 1-4 vx2 that changes point of impact at different power settings and I sent it back and they returned it with a note saying they found nothing wrong with it. So I have to zero it and leave it on 4x to hit any thing with it.

Leupold can pound sand. You can run a Vortex over with your truck and they will replace it.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 07-26-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have never had to send in a Leupold, but know they have as good a warranty as anyone can have.They even replace scopes that I can't help but feel dishonest folks purposely damage just to get an upgrade.Have you ever saw Leupolds "Hall of shame"?.I'm not saying Vortex is junk,and understand that the brand is not just built in China,but in other Asian countries as well,but a Chinese built scope will have more lemons per 1,000 than even a Leupold Rifleman.

Boolit Master
    I have a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x. It is bright and clear. It is heavy and clunky compared to a Leupold 2-7x. My biggest complaint is zeroing the damn thing is an adventure. It doesn't track consistently. Sometimes a click is 1/4 moa. and sometimes it is over a MOA. Once sighted in it holds zero.

I am a big fan of the Leupold 2-7x and own 4 of them. I bought the Vortex because it was on sale and I saved $75. They don't compare....The Vortex is ok....even if the tracking system worked right it is still 30% heavier, larger and more awkward to mount with inferior eye relief. It is as bright and clear as the Leupold.
    If I had it to do again I would pony up the extra money.

Banned

the first scope I bought was a 2x7 vari x 2 back in the early 70s. Ive owned probably a couple dozen of them since and in my opinion its probably the most versatile reasonably priced quality scope sold. Even the vx1s today are great scopes and if you factor in cost of living there much cheaper then that first 2x7 I bought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    I have a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x. It is bright and clear. It is heavy and clunky compared to a Leupold 2-7x. My biggest complaint is zeroing the damn thing is an adventure. It doesn't track consistently. Sometimes a click is 1/4 moa. and sometimes it is over a MOA. Once sighted in it holds zero.

I am a big fan of the Leupold 2-7x and own 4 of them. I bought the Vortex because it was on sale and I saved $75. They don't compare....The Vortex is ok....even if the tracking system worked right it is still 30% heavier, larger and more awkward to mount with inferior eye relief. It is as bright and clear as the Leupold.
    If I had it to do again I would pony up the extra money.