RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Need help. How much does powder coat add to you diameter of your boolits.

Boolit Master

Need help. How much does powder coat add to you diameter of your boolits.

I'm in need of some help. I'm wanting to order a reamer for a 30/30 with the correct throat for the NOE copy of 311299 mold.

Mine are dropping with a nose of .300 I have shot all my PC Boolits and the weather is terrible here.

I need to know what diameter the nose will be after powder coating.

I working A ton of hours and have very little time. I would like to get the reamer ordered sooner rather than later.

A little more info. I use Eastwood Ruby Red and Black. I guessing I get about .002 increase in diameter.

Thanks for the help...........
    Last edited by GARD72977; 07-21-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm just looking for information. If you use a different powder that's great. I should have some room for adjustment of nose dia. by changing brands of powder.

Boolit Master

Powder and technique play a role, from .001-.005. Smokes clear, blowing off the excess loose powder, .001-.002. Pbtp super gloss black shaken like crazy and baked as they come out of the tub had up to .005. Just my experience, around .003 seems average for most solid colors, tapping off the excess.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Banned

Get a nose sizer and don't worry about it

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    ..... .003 seems average for most solid colors, tapping off the excess.
    This has been my experience. ~0.003 is what’s added to all of mine after tapping the excess off.

Just miked some raw and Smoke's red coated for the 308W, 1&1/2 thou.
    Last edited by popper; 07-24-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Measure before and after .
    too many variables to give you a definitive answer. Humidity level, amount of BB's, size of the bowl, amount coated at one time, do you sift out the BB's and powder or remove with tweezers. how many time do you tap the tweezers to remove excess powder, powder brand, and type (high gloss/gloss/semi-gloss/---), textured wrinkle, translucent, etc.

I have PC that ranges from .0005 to .005. I generally figure most PC (that I use) adds .002

If I was putting out the money on a reamer I would test several PC's first to see what results they gave me.

Like tomme said NOE sells boolit sizing dies with body AND nose sizing bushings

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=104

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the help. I decided to have the throat cut for a lubed bullet. The gun is a Rem Hepburn so traditional bullet is more appropriate.

I have some other 30 Cal's that I might get the throat reamer for PC Boolits.

Boolit Master
    A single PC usually runs .0001-.002". I double coat rifle bullets to get a .003" build out on the bands.

Nose sizing does not work in a two strep sizing process. You can size the bands and you can size the nose and both will be round, but they will not be concentric with each other. Just like laying a nickle on a quarter, both will be round, but that doesn't mean they are concentric to each other. To get a concentric cast bullet the only way I know is to swage. All cast bullets are lopsided when they come out of the mold, PC does not fix this.

I would recommend casting your chamber with Cerrocast as that is the easiest way to get exact measurements.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    A single PC usually runs .0001-.002". I double coat rifle bullets to get a .003" build out on the bands.

Nose sizing does not work in a two strep sizing process. You can size the bands and you can size the nose and both will be round, but they will not be concentric with each other. Just like laying a nickle on a quarter, both will be round, but that doesn't mean they are concentric to each other. To get a concentric cast bullet the only way I know is to swage. All cast bullets are lopsided when they come out of the mold, PC does not fix this.

I would recommend casting your chamber with Cerrocast as that is the easiest way to get exact measurements.
    There is no chamber...... I'm buying a reamer.........

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    There is no chamber...... I'm buying a reamer.........
    If the mold nose (forward of the bands) is cut to .300", the nose could easily be .002" or more out of round for a cast bullet. The build out of PC is going to vary due to powder selection, humidity, coating technique, etc. The nose rider design achieves it's best accuracy when the bullet nose just touches the lands of the rifling, typically .300"-302".

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Get a nose sizer and don't worry about it
    100% with you on that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Thanks for the help. I decided to have the throat cut for a lubed bullet. The gun is a Rem Hepburn so traditional bullet is more appropriate.

I have some other 30 Cal's that I might get the throat reamer for PC Boolits.
    From that I assume your bullet design is not a bore riding type. If that is correct then the dimensions are not that critical for the spec on the reamer. The bullet should be sized to the bore of the rifle. Seating depth can be adjusted based on the throat you cut. If you are trying to set the reamer for the bullet to be as far out of the case as possible then .001-3" is not going to make that much difference.

For bore riding (like for a .308 with heavy bullets) the fit is a bit more critical, but, it is based on bore dia, not throat. The throat is not a big deal unless you want to use conventional bullets. Then it is a matter of selecting the bullet first, then setting the depth of the throat.