Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: 6.5 x 58 Port from 8 x 57

Boolit Buddy

6.5 x 58 Port from 8 x 57

It was suggested to me to reform 8x57 to 6.5 x 58 Portuguese. I first sized in a 308 die,2nd in 7 x 57 , third in 6.5 x 58 die. The shoulder of the brass wasn't quite right and wouldn't chamber so I tried a 6.5 x 55 die and this set the shoulder back a touch. Back in the 6.5 x 58 die for good measure and it looks good to go. We will have to see how long the brass lasts.

Boolit Master

Good deal. Any annealing involved?
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Often when forming brass you need to remove the expander. Then size the brass completely but very slowly and allow the ram to dwell about 4 seconds at full stroke.
    Then turn the case about 1/3 turn and size again slowly with the 4 second dwell.
    The repeat - turn 1/3 turn and size slowly again with another 4 second dwell.

All this monkey motion gives the brass extra time and force to slide further up into the die - in other words allow it to creep and move as far as possible when formed. Then your cases will fit your chamber.

Be careful with the 6.5X55 die because the Portuguese has a little bit longer shallower shoulder.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I have tried to reform 8x57 brass to 257 Roberts AI. Excess brass went into the neck and need to trim to have a chance to chamber. Took trimmed cases shooting Sunday and the bolt was very hard to close. Going to have to do some measuring. Neck may be too thick or shoulder is not set back enough. Don't think necks are too thick per various standards in sereral reloading manuals. Since this is a wildcat that I bought from a person that has passed away I am not sure exctly what the chamber is supposed to be. I could close the bolt with a rubber hammer and see how they chamber after fired. Life would be simpler if manufacturers would simply make 257 Roberts brass.