Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Working on a Sheridan blue streak

Boolit Buddy

Working on a Sheridan blue streak

The post about the $7 Silver streak reminded me about the one that came with several other cheapies that I bought a few months ago, one price for five ($15), only one of the bunch worked, easy fix on 3 others.
    The Sheridan was my interest for the price, now comes my question, how easy (or hard) is it to work on these guns?, anyone here done it, the fix kits that I have found seem to only be O rings and other gaskets, or is it better to send out to be repaired.
    Mine is the older steel trigger guard with the butterfly safety, won't hold air, thanks for any help/responses.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

Early ones are “harder” than others. Well thats what i have found. I bought proper parts from Tim McMurry in California. I have new respect for what he does and as my wife frequently reminds me I have more money than patience.

Tim has rebuilt 2-3 of these for me.

I recommend you find a good smith. Mac1 in california is best i have found.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you, I'll have to drop him a note.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Buddy
    I watched these two videos last night before I went to sleep. There are a few special tools needed to disassemble these guns. I think these special tools are the only major hurdle to rebuilding these rifles.

The first video is a tear down. The second shows the installation of the Tim McMurry Mac-1 kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvTDiz5IE7o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWOhm4RyvFs

Also, have you tried oiling the pumping cup. They all need oil. I have read that the older rifles had a cup made of leather, and can absorb quite a bit of oil before they come back to life. I have revived an old coleman stove pump, and an antique brass bicycle pump by oiling and pumping many times, for a few days in a row.

Good Luck,
    JM

Boolit Master
    1 drop of pel gun oil( or no detergent 30weight) in the hole. Mine was built in 61 or so and did not have a leather cup, your 70s gun will definitely be synthetic as well. They are not hard to work on if you are mechanically inclined and have some patience an the tool. I bought the seal kit and tools from the same guy, less than 15$ total if I remember correctly. Now I can service any of them easily. I will see if , 1 -I can find my info, and 2- he is still in business , has probably been 15 years.
    Don’t shoot me, but I do not like the Steroid treatment idea. Just makes them hard to pump and if I need more power than factory spec, well I got a bigger gun. These streaks will take squirrels cleanly as far as the open sights will let you put a pellet in their brain, at pactory rating. Adding an adjustable pump rod is well worth the trouble, increases efficiency without increasing pumping force. If, after pumping, the pump lever “springs out” when lifted slightly you still have high pressure air between the cup and inlet valve. That is wasted work, the adjustable rod lets you get all the compressed air into the valve.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    If you decide to do it yourself, be aware that mid 90s there was a significant design change. Be sure you get parts and tools for your “rocker safety” version, it has the soldered in valve. I see prices are up , A LOT, on the seals. Glad I am a pack rat and got extras, now I just gotta figure out where I put them , for safe keeping...
    Anyway, seems the source I used is no longer in business. Mac 1 can do you well. It is nice to have the tools, for future reference, or “good deals”.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I resealed my Blue Streak. I also sent it to Mac1 to get the barrel resoldered to the action. It is a robust design and the job is doable if you have good mechanical skills. If not, I don’t recommend trying it. Just send it to Mac1. He did great by me with the soldering job. Also his seal kit was perfect.

You will need a specialty tool to remove the valve, and some research is in order. It’s a fairly simple design, but it’s possible to bugger the threads in the tube. Use Mac1’s kit and work slowly and carefully. Very satisfying to get it back to full power.
    -BE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Early ones are “harder” than others. Well thats what i have found. I bought proper parts from Tim McMurry in California. I have new respect for what he does and as my wife frequently reminds me I have more money than patience.

Tim has rebuilt 2-3 of these for me.

I recommend you find a good smith. Mac1 in california is best i have found.

CW
    What does he charge to refurb one of these? I have a couple, neither of which is as powerful as I think they're supposed to be, kind of wondering if maybe sending one or both off to be overhauled would be a prudent long term investment.

Not really in the market for one but I came across a Sheridan last week at a junk shop. The guy said it sort of held air & he wanted $85. After my lack of interest it then was make an offer. Stock was scratched up some & the bluing was rubbed off in places. What would one be worth?
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    . What would one be worth?
    Check around and see what new and used ones are going for, and what it costs to reseal it.

Since it 'sort of holds air' that tells ya it at least needs new seals.
    Just a guess, but I'd think its worth about 20-25% at the most, compared to what a new one costs.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all for the info, I'm pretty handy around mechanical items but I tend to get frustrated and set things aside so they take longer than they should, plus all the other projects that I have, time is on short supply, I'll be sending it in, eventually...........

Boolit Master

You will be very very pleased JUST BE PATIENT! Tim has (usually) allot of work. But the quality he preforms is well Worth it.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Working on a Sheridan blue streak

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    What does he charge to refurb one of these? I have a couple, neither of which is as powerful as I think they're supposed to be, kind of wondering if maybe sending one or both off to be overhauled would be a prudent long term investment.
    If memory serves it’s in the $150 price range to reseal. I believe I paid him $80 to resolder my barrel. Whatever it was, it was reasonable considering the labor involved. I would have saved money and time by sending it to him in the first place, I know that. That said, I enjoyed the experience of really getting inside that airgun. If you’re a gear head, get the tools and kit and do it yourself. But get the right tools. My problems started because I made a tool to reinstall the valve innards (its a soldered valve) and I buggered up the threads in the compression tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 08-06-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Used nonfunctional/rebuildable Blue Streak Sheridans, built before 1978, are going for $75 to $95 dollars on EBay. When I’m pricing things on EBay I will sort by “completed” sales/auctions. It is a more accurate way of pricing items.

I’m all for haggling down a price. As a seller I would prefer to not have to deal with shipping an item, but I won’t give it away for free either, just to avoid shipping it.

JM

Boolit Grand Master

And when you get the Blue Streak back look into a receiver sight for it I can pop pigeons with our's at 8 pumps and 40 yards with no problem. Those receiver sights are well worth the $$. Happily our's came with it already installed 35 years ago.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

Another vote for Mac1. He is neither fast or cheap. But he did a super job on my Sheridan pistol.
    Buy a little bottle of his Secret Sauce, it'll last a life time.
    Dan