WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: 3-screw-fitting NM SS Cylinder.

Boolit Master

3-screw-fitting NM SS Cylinder.

Can an Old Model Ruger Single-Six be fitted with a Cylinder from a New Model Single-Six ?

Ok,
    Some years back I got stuck with a Ruger 3-Screw Single-Six in .22Mag.

Picked it up My "New" .22LR OM Ruger from the Gunshop after waiting period. Cleaned it and took it to the Range. Long Rifles fell out, cracked to the Rim. Tried .22Mag, that fit fine.

Cleaned it and back to the Gunshop. "TOO BAD, 'You bought a used gun.' It says Ruger .22Cal on the Receipt and the Gun."

Checked with Ruger: New Cylinder - $100, Fitting - $50, Postage from Ruger to Me - $30, UPS from Me to Ruger - $95.
    That's more then I paid for the GUN, out the door with sales tax and registration fees.

I've bought 3 cylinders off fleabay, ASKING each time if they were sure they were actually for .22 LONG RIFLE and would NOT fit a .22Mag Cartridge.
    Finally got one that was a .22LR, except it's for a New Model, a few thousands too long at the front of the Cylinder.

Can it be machined down to fit without machining down the back of the bbl, which would then make the .22Mag Cylinder useless ?

I'm about ready to stick a .22mag in it and shoot my own foot.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Good morning.
    Relax & don't shoot your foot!

I buy "extra" cylinders all the time. The first thing to understand is that you don't need to cut any part of the barrel. The cylinder boss, (the very front part of the cylinder that mates up to the frame,) can be gently honed down to fit.
    Measure the OAL of your existing 22 mag cylinder. Then, you can hone just the boss down to the same dimension. Usually it's not a large amount, and can be done carefully with a few strokes using a flat file & a guide. Be sure to gently remove any burrs in the pin hole before trying to install it.
    And of course,, any good machinist with a mill or a lathe can remove a few thousands off it as well. I prefer a mill over a lathe for this type of work.

Just Friday I gave my buddy a 3screw Single 6 cylinder in 22mg. It fit his New Model Single-6 as drop in. His gun was bought new in early 70s and didn't come with mag cylinder.

Boolit Master

Contender1,
    Thanks you relieving for my mind. I do appreciate the instructions.

But I am fortunate to live about 5miles from Alan Tanaka's Shop, a Great Handgun Smith. I think I'd be better off letting him do it then My arthritic mitts trying it.

DRM50,
    I bought my first Super Single-Six in 1974. I was unaware that Ruger made any New Models in .22LR only.
    And yeah, that .22Mag Cylinder from the OM will drop right into the NM Single-Six.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life