RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Pickled Northern Pike!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Pickled Northern Pike!

I was given the recipe from my neighbor a few years back when I was pounding the Pike. I caught a few dandies the other day and on Monday it will be the end of the second 7 day sit and shake so they'll be ready to eat.

I’ve also done it with largemouth bass this time and last and they turn out just as great.

Here’s the recipe I was given...

And the 1/2 gallon jar is all northern along with one little one and the other is bass....

When I first made it I was afraid to eat it. Now, I could clean both small jars out in one sit...and maybe more.

Boolit Master

What happens to all the fine bones? I'm guessing the flesh is firm from the brining?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Good stuff!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

USMC 77, USRA 79

are those little black thingys in the jars the eyeballs????
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

These were a staple in our house. Grew up in NW minnesota, farmers don't fish in summer. But they love darkhouse spearing for northern pike. Done right with good fish and properly aged they are hard to tell from top quality pickled herring. The onlons always disappeared first.

Bones get eaten by the vinegar. Little y bones and such. Rib bones and backbone are filleted off the meat.

Thinner pieces of fish are better so anything of any size got sliced into cracker sized pieces about 1/4 inch thick.

Nice jar of those, a fresh stack of premium Saltine Crackers and a beer was a darn good late night snack.

Ghosthawk, I’ve only speared ruff fish in the summer. I found these the other day at goodwill while looking for pewter. $4 each!

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    What happens to all the fine bones? I'm guessing the flesh is firm from the brining?

The first 7 day soak and shake in Vinegar dissolves the bones and yes the flesh firms up in the process. You can try it with any fish. The neighbor uses store bought pollock.

Ghosthawk gives a good explanation on it.

Imo I think the fish tastes better after sitting a good two plus weeks in the second solution. I believe it gives it more tome to absorb the sugar/wine brine.

I was running low on port wine so I didn’t use it on the first 7 day soak this time around. I’ll see if it tastes any different. My guess is It will taste the same especially if I let it sit a few extra days.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-21-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    are those little black thingys in the jars the eyeballs????
    Lol, picking spices.

The spices float for the first couple of days and after the daily shake they start sinking and work their way down to the bottom.

I saw that jar and immediately had a craving for those onions.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Moderator Emeritus

Good stuff! Works with carp too! And I though I was the only one who ate pickled fish on a saltine! When my friends grand daughter was 3 she asked for a piece of it to eat since we were snacking on it. We expected her to spit it out... nope she loved it and called them fish pickles until she was 10!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Good stuff! Works with carp too! And I though I was the only one who ate pickled fish on a saltine! When my friends grand daughter was 3 she asked for a piece of it to eat since we were snacking on it. We expected her to spit it out... nope she loved it and called them fish pickles until she was 10!
    Hahaha! Fish pickles!

That is great!

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Just gut it, clean it and slow bake in red chianti. Drain the wine and slow bake to finish. Place on platter and fork the meat off, looks like white rice but yum - and I DON'T like fish much. Youth memories of pickled fish at the smorgasboard.
    Whatever!

Banned
    NOW you have my mouth watering! I haven't had pickled northern pike in 20 years or longer. My brother used to make em when we were catching billions of smaller northern pike (24" to 30") The smaller ones are better for pickling. I don't know his recipe but it had little pearl onions and French white wine. It was far better than any store bought pickled fish I ever had. If you end up with too many of those jars, I can send you my address and I will gladly take them off of your hands.

Here’s the largemouth bass...

I can tell it’s a little more salty than sweet without adding Port wine to the brine for the first 7 days of soaking. It’s nice and firm and tastes excellent. IMO I like the sweeter taste version as I posted a little better but didn’t want to run to the store to buy more wine. I can always tell bass over pike as the blue veins in bass never seem to bleach out when brining where the pike meat is always bright white when done. The brine is not clear as well. I believe I added a lot more pickling spice this time around and it broke down causing the tan colored brine...which could also be the change in salty taste VS sweet. Anyways I took them away from myself before I ate the whole little jar.lol....man they’re good!!!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-23-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Here’s the largemouth bass...

I can tell it’s a little more salty than sweet without adding Port wine to the brine for the first 7 days of soaking. It’s nice and firm and tastes excellent. IMO I like the sweeter taste version as I posted a little better but didn’t want to run to the store to buy more wine. I can always tell bass over pike as the blue veins in bass never seem to bleach out when brining where the pike meat is always bright white when done. The brine is not clear as well. I believe I added a lot more pickling spice this time around and it broke down causing the tan colored brine...which could also be the change in salty taste VS sweet. Anyways I took them away from myself before I ate the whole little jar.lol....man they’re good!!!
    That picture is just plain Cruel! You sure know how to hurt a person.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    If you like pickled carp try pickled white suckers. Nice white meat.

I made it with red horse suckers and just change it some then what is on here and came out like sweet pickles .The Y bones was gone when you soak in vinegar and salt. I did not put onions in it because want to see how it would come out for the first time make it. I have more in the freezer to make more now. The white suckers I descale them and then fillet them and then score the meat 1/4" width wise and then roll in salt & pepper and flour and fried in pan and the Y bone is not notice for how I done it .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds good!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk