Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Winchester 94 38-55 loading problems

Boolit Master

Winchester 94 38-55 loading problems

I have a 94 that began life as a 30-30 and was rebored to 38-55 by JES.
    The bullet is a Lee 255 grain cast.

the problem is loading the gun. First, even unloaded, if I cycle the action the loading gate pops out the side of the receiver. I can push it back it but that seems odd.

If I load a single round into the magazine it will not stay in the tube. It comes out on top of the carrier and pushes the loading gate outside the receiver. The rifle will cycle fine.

If I use a second cartridge to push the first cartridge deeper in the magazine, the effect is the same. The 1st round will not stay in the magazine, will come out on top of the carrier, and pushes the loading gate outside the receiver. Once the first round is cycled into the chamber the second cartridge does the same thing: it comes out of the magazine and is sitting on top of the carrier, the loading gate is pushed outside the receiver.

Overall it cycles fine, but with a cartridge not in the tube and laying on top of the carrier, it is impossible to top off the magazine. Anyone know the problem?

Boolit Master
    Two somewhat "wild" guesses, based on my two 94's. First, the loading gate is supposed to be very slightly bigger than the opening in the side of the receiver. This is because the spring on the loading gate pushes outward. If the loading gate is popping out it must be too small (wear?? or what???). You might need to replace that. Second, there is a little raised section on the bottom plate of a model 94 that stops cartridges from coming out of the receiver until you open the lever. Maybe that is worn also. I wouldn't think the conversion to 38-55 is an issue because the 30-30 and the 38-55 both have the same rim diameter.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the screw that secures the loading gate to the frame is loose allowing the gate to move around.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Sounds like the screw that secures the loading gate to the frame is loose allowing the gate to move around.
    Yes that and .......

I only had a couple of 94's .....the one I have now (38/55) - once you push the last round in clear of the loading gate that last round pops back and lays on the carrier - well behind the loading gate - can only top the magazine by half cycling the lever to move that round far enough forward that the loading gate will clear it. Different than a 92 and way different than the toggle link guns.

My 94- originally 30-30- now 38-55 loads just like a lever gun is supposed to. Push rounds in till it's full. The last one stays in the tube with just the rim behind the gate slightly. The back of the gate actually pushes the round forward for the gate to open when you're adding ammo to the tube. Marlins, Mossbergs, Winchester all work the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My 94- originally 30-30- now 38-55 loads just like a lever gun is supposed to. Push rounds in till it's full. The last one stays in the tube with just the rim behind the gate slightly. The back of the gate actually pushes the round forward for the gate to open when you're adding ammo to the tube. Marlins, Mossbergs, Winchester all work the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Yeah ! I got thinkin about that after I wrote yesterday - mine was a sometimes do and sometimes dont deal - the round was not slipping right back like I thought just the gate was not always pushing it forward like sposed to - ended up pulling the loading gate out and give the ridge thing on the back a polish up and shes fixed - cases were old reloads and a tad tarnished too proly part of it.