RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much is too much for an Old Hollywood Vintage Press

Boolit Master
    Hollywood was a major player decades ago. They have interesting designs and are well made BUT, for a user, it's not worth more than the price of any current good single stage or turret press. There is no way to predict what a collector will pay for anything, it's worth what ever the buyer is willing to pay!

It's possible a collection of anything will double in market value in ten years but it's even more likely the rate of inflation will make that increase a moot point.

Banned

How hard are they to find accoutrements for?

Boolit Master
    My first avenue of choice would be Bob at sedroc@centurytel.net

He bought out Hollywood Reloading Tools that Tracvision previously owned. Bob has a huge inventory of new, old stock. He doesn’t have everything, but can hopefully help you.

My second avenue would be eBay.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    How hard are they to find accoutrements for?
    There are a couple people here who sell lots of goodies on Ebay for Hollywood. I have bought parts from them and they are all first-rate.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Banned
    A guy's been asking $1,000 for this on craigslist

Boolit Master

It is mostly complete and in excellent condition. Get him down to $900.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    It is mostly complete and in excellent condition. Get him down to $900.
    ...and insist on free shipping!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead1 View Post
    saw a posting on eBay for a vintage Hollywood senior turret reloading press ,the bid is above $900 for this press .I guess people are desperate for these things I own several Hollywood's and three of this press and would never pay anywhere near what that guy's asking for it I know they're hard to find and when they come up they fetch a hefty price but realistically I'm wondering if this guy has his buddies bidding this thing up just to make a huge profit on the Press on its best day might yet 600 to 700 maybe what are your guy's thoughts.
    Good evening Gearhead1. I believe your referring to the eBay auction that I won. The auction was not run up by the lister's buddy. I can guarantee you that.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum HW Goon. Congrats on your HW!

Enjoy
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood_Goon View Post
    Good evening Gearhead1. I believe your referring to the eBay auction that I won. The auction was not run up by the lister's buddy. I can guarantee you that.
    Congratulations to your new press!
    If I may ask, is it gonna be a beater or planning to keep it as a prized collection?
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Hollywood presses bring far more than their actual value as a reloading press. The leverage is quit low compared to a compound leverage press like the Rockchucker. A Lyman All American turret press has the same leverage and smooth feel as the Hollywood and can be bought for less than $150.00.

Folks can pay the sky high prices for a Hollywood, but if they think they are getting a superior machine to reload ammo, then they are wrong. Hollywood's bring high prices because they are collectable, not because they are superior.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Hollywood presses bring far more than their actual value as a reloading press. The leverage is quit low compared to a compound leverage press like the Rockchucker. A Lyman All American turret press has the same leverage and smooth feel as the Hollywood and can be bought for less than $150.00.

Folks can pay the sky high prices for a Hollywood, but if they think they are getting a superior machine to reload ammo, then they are wrong. Hollywood's bring high prices because they are collectable, not because they are superior.
    You left the part out about the high risk of blowing out a gonad when lifting the HW press up to mount on the bench!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Banned
    Lubedude, there will be an interesting article in the October Journal about Lyle Cochran. Well researched and illustrated.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Lubedude, there will be an interesting article in the October Journal about Lyle Cochran. Well researched and illustrated.
    Awesome, I’m looking forward to it.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Welcome to the forum HW Goon. Congrats on your HW!

Enjoy
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Congratulations to your new press!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    If I may ask, is it gonna be a beater or planning to keep it as a prized collection?
    I'm going to refurbish (restore) the press and use it after the work is done. With all the work that I'm doing to it, no since in not using it. When I received the press, it didn't look too "in bad of shape". WROOOONG.....the press was unusable in it's present state. The turret was seized up due to the ball being/was out of round (0.240" - 0.248"). The chrome on the ball was coming off. Plus, no lube would not allow the turret to rotate (rust was a factor also).

The base was even in worse shape than the turret. Some "clown" tried to disassemble the linkage and in doing so, seized the left side up. I had to use a gremel with a sanding drum, a 20 ton press and some Kroil to get it separated. The clown that tried to dissemble the linkage, used a hammer and tried to beat the linkage out of the main shaft. In doing so, "said clown" mushroomed the end he was beating on. No way was that linkage piece coming apart without removing some metal. It was even seized up inside of the main shaft as to why I had to use penetrating oil and a press to get it apart. Get out your popcorn, it doesn't end there. When the clown realized the linkage was not coming apart. Said "clown" took a hammer and a chisel to the other side, trying to push the linkage back into the main shaft and in doing so....put a deep gouge in the linkage (grrrrr). Fast forward a couple hours. After I got the linkage separated from the main shaft. The right side just needs the rust and grime cleaned from it. The main shaft needs the same. The left side linkage, it needs some welding and machine work to bring it back. I'm hoping to have the left side linkage finished by this weekend, just depends on my work schedule.

If I'm after compound leverage, I have a Forster Co-Ax press for that.

Boolit Master

I agree with all this. But leverage or the lack thereof has never been a problem for me, and I like having old equipment that has a "wow" factor. Almost all my presses are old and/or unusual. I paid more for them than newer, aluminum stuff, but I enjoy owning and using them more than anything aluminum.

Boolit Master

Hollywood Goon,

If your press is short any parts, there are people on Ebay and here who can supply them.

Welcome to the club.

Just bought a hollywood universal 3 Turret With 14 dies $800 Did I get beat?
    Belonged to a 90 year old smith.
    Last edited by super6; 08-21-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast