Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is someone scamming Brownell's customers?

Boolit Master

Is someone scamming Brownell's customers?

Got this email the other day and there are a couple of red flags so I didn't respond, figured I'd post it as a public service (altered the links so they won't work).
    ================================================== ================================================== ===================
    Customer # 04900837 States where goods are delivered: PA

Dear Sir or Madam:

Brownells Inc. is currently doing an update of business accounts to determine Sales Tax Exemption. If you feel you are a company that qualifies for tax exemption, please note that our records are currently incomplete for your company. This is due to missing the proper Sales Tax Exemption Certificate.

Brownells Inc. is required to charge sales tax on all future transactions unless provided with a current and valid document(s) for the state(s) and products where you do business. To ensure tax exemption, Brownells Inc. respectfully requests that its partners submit new forms before the next transaction.

Avalara, a document management system, is working with Brownells Inc. to collect these forms. To submit a new exemption certificate, please click the link below or use the following request code on the CertExpress Website:

Link: https:/app.certexpress.com?r=MX-39VK-9m
    CertExpress Website: https:/app.certexprss.com
    Request Code: MX-39-VK-9m

Should you have any questions regarding the completion of the forms, please contact us at (800) 741-0015 or via email at Acounting@brownelscom and we will be glad to assist you to expedite the process.

Thank you for your cooperation and prompt response in this matter

Sincerely,

Brownells, Inc.
    ================================================== ================================================== ===================
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I have not seen anything like this from Brownell's, but did get a similar request from Numrich (Gun Parts Corp.) that offered a few different ways to submit the Certificate of Resale to them. One of the closing lines of this message included a telephone number that matches a number on Numrich's "contact us" page. That is enough to make me feel comfortable that the Numrich message is legit. Probably the easy answer to your question is to call Brownell's and ask if the message is genuine.

Boolit Master
    "Internet sales tax collection laws gradually taking effect"
    "Thirty-one states now have laws requiring out-of-state retailers to collect sales tax. Five states have no sales tax: New Hampshire, Delaware, Montana, Oregon and Alaska, although some municipalities in Alaska do. The rest of the states have not yet passed laws."
    "A majority of the states have enacted laws requiring remote sellers to collect sales tax following the Supreme Court's South Dakota v. Wayfair decision in June. The court upheld a South Dakota statute that targeted online retailers who avoided collecting out-of-state sales tax because they didn't have a physical presence like a store or distribution in a state – a decades-old exemption that the court threw out in its decision."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rs/2387450002/

Boolit Buddy
    I know that a lot of states that never taxed online sales are now collecting them,and W.Va. is one of them evidently. I first noticed MidwayUSA charging tax with a little ?mark beside the amount. I have clicked the question mark,and a paragraph cones up explaining that some states require they collect it..I know that Brownells has been sending me a lot more EMails that ever.It is so bad that even when I go on their sight to compare prices,and products that I get emails on just about all items I have clicked on .

Boolit Buddy
    Brownells has been charging WA state sales tax for almost a year now. What ticks me off is it the higher King Co. tax not the lower WA state use tax rate. 9.5 % vs 8.1 %, and since I have a business account with Brownells I can not opt out of it.

I also have a business account with Nurmich and just 2 months ago went thru the process of trying to get them to properly deal with my WA Resellers Permit.

I never got a email from Brownells the tax just started to showed up on the invoice. I had to call and ask about it.

Nurmich did email several times while we worked that all out.

Just one more thing we have to deal with now on the Internet.

J Wisner

Boolit Master

Probably not a scam. Last month, for the first time ever, I was charged Illinois sales tax on an order from Natchez. This state is so broke(n); both financially and politically.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned

Is someone scamming Brownell's customers?

The good news is the government allows us to keep some of the money we earned.
    Politicians are criminals operating under color of laws of their own making...
    Taxation is theft, pure and simple.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a standard exemption certificate request. The request is kind of generic, but it's hard to personalize the requests when sending out 1,000's.

Banned

If you are living in a Democrat state then you are probably getting charged sales tax. I seen a US map that showed the states that are charging it and it looked like a election map between dems and repubs.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    If you are living in a Democrat state then you are probably getting charged sales tax. I seen a US map that showed the states that are charging it and it looked like a election map between dems and repubs.
    Wish that was true, IDAHO is as RED as can be and you have to pay the sales tax when you shop online. ALL online sales are considered taxable per Idaho IRS! There is a line item on the personal State Income Tax form when you file.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Buddy
    J Wisner. I was charged the higher rate on a Dillon order also, The problem is that WA tax code says collect at the rate of point of delivery. I too live in an area rate of 8.1% ans if I order from some one like Amazon it is charged properly by there computer system. The smaller internet and mail order company's should allow you to insert local rate as they have to report the true rate on the state form so the county, cities and other collection districts get there share [state 6.5% + local]. On my last Dillon order I filled in the proper rate and high lighted it as such. I do feel that I owe a far tax I just do not want to be adding the the Govner J. Insults campane fund for president.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master

From NH I can say your states voted to tax what you spend. You are getting what you voted for.

the brownells email address is missing an "l".....I suspect it's a scam.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Noticed the second "L" was missing too, but the phone number is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by eric123 View Post
    Noticed the second "L" was missing too, but the phone number is legit.
    If the number is legit...the OP should just give them a call to confirm.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold
    Maybe ask Brownells? If it is legit, they should be quite willing to confirm it so they can get their tax stuff straight.

Boolit Master
    Probably just paranoia. I've known about the collection of state taxes on internet sales but have had some internet weirdnesss going on lately and then this thing shows up, asking if I think I should be exempt.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Never click on any link in an unsolicited email for any reason. Just call Brownells and ask them.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    AS stated - the easiest way to find out is to give them a call and hear it out of the "horses mouth". If you are a company purchasing wholesale or an individual, that's going to make a difference and with the new laws that are going in to effect, it's going to get even more complicated. Have you know a government entity yet that didn't have their had out to grab as much tax dollar as they can? Brownell's is the on one who can answer the question.

That said - I sell on fleabbay and the other day, I sold some gun parts to a fellow in PA. When i sent the invoice to him for payment, their invoicing system automatically added the PA sales tax - and the point of origin shipping is where I am in MI - so an out of state sale. Looks to me like PA, like some other states, is taxing "money spent" by their residents.

Boolit Master
    Since more states are requiring sales tax be paid for online orders it will really help the small mom and pop stores. Many people buy online to avoid sales tax and this will help level the playing field.
    East Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast