Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New rifle

Boolit Master

I have 4
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    A friend called me up, asked what I got for my tomahawks. Offered to trade a Chinese Type 56 SKS. Got it in the mail yesterday. Never owned one, never shot one. Still learning about them, 4 digit sn. He also says it was made about 54-55.He says it's a battle field pick up and had blood on it when he got it. He cleaned it off. Stock is rough, I'll clean it and respray it with something. He gave me a sight tool too.

Got new Starline brass in the mail yesterday too. Have the Lee 312-155 (drops at 160) and H4895 to play with. Bullets cast and powder coated, but the Hornady gas checks don't fit so good. Gonna get one of Pat Marlins check makers. Got a birthday coming up, put out some hints to the family.

I'm already 3 guns behind on load development. Can't seem to get to the range, just too damn hot here.

Got a lot of research to do. I want to know for sure what exactly I have. I trust what he says, but just want to have a second opinion. I would have left the blood on it.
    Taylor,

Very interesting post you made. Please elaborate how you, "Got it in the mail yesterday?" In what state did the SKS seller reside? Did this transaction violate the GCA 1968???

Adam

Boolit Master

Rhode Island. I have a C&R. The gun shop has an FFL.

Your questions are quite interesting also.

I see why Adam had the question. "Got it in the mail" implies USPS to most folks. You can't ship guns through the post office unless pre 1899 manufacture afaik.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I have 4
    Well, guess we better make that 3. Brother Eddie passed away last night. Everything points to heat stroke. Damn it man.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I see why Adam had the question. "Got it in the mail" implies USPS to most folks. You can't ship guns through the post office unless pre 1899 manufacture afaik.

You can’t ship pistols through the mail unless you have an FFL. I believe you can ship rifles to a person in your state or to an FFL.

Boolit Master
    Lions, tigers and bears, oh my! The problem with all the different shipping "stories" is due to all the different regulations individual municipalities/states have imposed. One should be very sure about your location and understand it fully to avoid any discomfort, it does vary greatly.
    In regard to SKS, if weapon is clean you have made a very good to excellent deal. May I suggest you visit Yooper John's SKS pages and absorb some of his wonderful work and amount of time he has spent on a great site. SKS is a tough critter to fully document but you can get real close confirming pedigree/configuration. The quick look and limited pictures appears to possibly be a Sino-Soviet, which happens to be one of the more desirable ones.
    There are a few safety issues that I wish everyone understood. The sear angle can be a variable and has the potential to be a very bad thing, please take the time to google it and understand it (positive, neutral, negative). Also, sticky or stuck firing pin or even very clean and loose and single feed with nothing in magazine will create a very high probability of a slam fire. Only first two years of Russian Type 56 had firing pin spring IIRC, Chinese no spring and has a floater. Other than all the scary stuff, I really like my small collection and enjoy them. Also if your black helicopter is airborne do not throw anything away if you modify, anything from original unit configuration unless 922R comply. Enjoy!

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother like that.

Boolit Master

Thanks Texas, least I got to see him a couple of weeks ago.

Banned

kind of laughed. My dad had a 22 mag rifle, a tc carbine with 4570 and 3030 16 inch barrels another tc wiht a 14inch 410 barrel and a browning side by side 20 of mine that I LOANED him. He has had the shotgun for about 10 years. One day for some reason I thought about that gun. Tried to figure out where I sold it or traded it. Then the light went off in my head. Dad had it. His only hunting anymore is the first couple days of deer season so I called him and told him I was going to drive down and pick it up. He told me he gave it back to me years ago. I knew better and told him hed better look a bit closer. Well he called me back and said he remembered. He said I gave it to him (a 1500 dollar shotgun in the 80s) and my brother in law liked it so much that dad gave it to him. Seems dad is thinking he isn't going to be around long and wants to give thing to family members to pass down. thing is hes giving my guns to people not his. Found out he gave the 22 mag and the 410 to my nephews in montana, the tc carbine with both barrels to another nephew that lived close to him. I about flipped I was so mad. I told him to march his (you know what) over to my brother in laws house and get my browning back immediately. I told him I was on my way to pick it up. Well we had words ( I guess I had word) He also had my glock 43 that I had loaned him about a year ago and I made him show that to me. Told him it was to much hastle to get the guns back from MT and he could have the tc stuff as it doesn't do much for me anymore. He also had a single six of mine that he borrowed probably 20 years ago and I had forgotten. He gave that to me too. He should have kept quiet about that one because id forgotten all about it. Told him that my glock better not leave his house. Shook my head over the whole deal. Told him most fathers leave there guns to there kids. They don't leave there kids guns to someone else!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Talk about coming out on the short end dealing with brother. Mine borrowed a 9mm of mine when i went to get it back he claimed i gave it to him. Who needs strangers to screw you over. I should have known better he's famous for doing this. I just wrote it off just not worth starting a mess in the family. But i learned and so did he. I used to load all his ammo . Not anymore, he calls complaining about the price of ammo i just say yea it really has got expensive sorry i just don't load much anymore.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    @ Red Bear.
    It seems like we must be related.
    We seem to have the same Brother.
    Maybe they just went to the same school.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12