RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rifle

Boolit Master

New rifle

A friend called me up, asked what I got for my tomahawks. Offered to trade a Chinese Type 56 SKS. Got it in the mail yesterday. Never owned one, never shot one. Still learning about them, 4 digit sn. He also says it was made about 54-55.He says it's a battle field pick up and had blood on it when he got it. He cleaned it off. Stock is rough, I'll clean it and respray it with something. He gave me a sight tool too.

Got new Starline brass in the mail yesterday too. Have the Lee 312-155 (drops at 160) and H4895 to play with. Bullets cast and powder coated, but the Hornady gas checks don't fit so good. Gonna get one of Pat Marlins check makers. Got a birthday coming up, put out some hints to the family.

I'm already 3 guns behind on load development. Can't seem to get to the range, just too damn hot here.

Got a lot of research to do. I want to know for sure what exactly I have. I trust what he says, but just want to have a second opinion. I would have left the blood on it.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Buddy
    can you post pictures so I can be more jealous ?
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Mine was a Yugo with the gas shutoff and the ladder sights for rifle grenades.

All I did with my stock was to give it several layers of trueoil to lock in what it had.

It does have a name, couple of deep pits, a burned spot and other such battlefield scars it has picked up.

I think mine is a 52 which was the year I was born which just adds to it somehow.

Somewhere in the process of getting all the old cosmoline off, getting it bedded, lightly stoning a couple of trigger surfaces that yugo girl wiggled herself right into my heart.

I don't shoot it much. I have a hundred rounds on stripper clips in a box right below where it rests. Which is across the arms of an old desk/computer chair, down in my reloading casting room. Mag is full, bolt is locked back. Safe as houses till the bolt handle is jerked back. She's a rough tough ol girl and she does not seem to mind me calling her a Yugo female dog.

I've played around with load a bit. She likes the Lee .312 185 gr gas checked with tape on the mold to make em cast closer to .314. Gas checks get applied with a .314 sizer.

I upped the weight about a third so I dropped the charge about a third. After some testing I settled in on 20 grains of IMR 4895.

She seems to like it, at 50 yards she was picking off poker chip sized pieces of clay pigeon with very very few misses. Good enough for that old girl for me.

Rifling was dark when I got it, but I did manage to leaded up up good once shooting too small a bullet through it.

When I finally got it clean the grooves were shiny. Just took 3 days with lots of patches dampened with ATF follwed by tight dry ones. Wet it down again and walk away for a few hours. Just stick with it.

I would not trade mine for love nor money. She is peace of mind. Costs me nothing sitting there, a little oil on a rag a couple of times a year.

Be careful, I think once you have one that you enjoy they could easily breed on you. You could end up with a houseful.

I've been leaning towards a good Norinco with chrome barrel.

Banned

They're better rifles than a lot of people think. It's been a long time, but I did the cast thing in one years ago and tried downloading it to see how low you can go before it starts to malfunction and you can go way, way lower on charge than you'd think before functioning becomes a problem. With jacketed it was a lot more accurate than you'd guess, as accurate as I can shoot an open sighted rifle with a short sight radius like that.

Those kinds of things don't interest me much anymore, but I came away from the experience with a lot of respect for the design.

Boolit Master

I never had a great desire to own one. But for the most part it was free. Just had to pound out a tomahawk.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190109_154023.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	245468

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    Sure can, maybe later on today. Too early to do anything right now.

Banned

anyone remember when those things were 50 bucks a piece?? How stupid were we??

Nice looking "hawk", Taylor!
    I'll bet you'll really like your SKS. I like them better than the AK rifles.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I just love mine its also a Chinese version. I don't remember $50 but got mine for $100. I also use the lee mold and it works good for me and i use gator or aluminum checks from sages and haven't had any problems. These really are better rifles than most think. I am old and don't like walking 100 yards to change targets but have no problem tearing the large bulls eye out of a target. My mini 30 is more accurate for the first 5 rounds or so but once the barrel heats up the sks will shoot rings around it. Still working on mini 30 need a barrel stabilizer and a little work on gas system and i expect improvement. But the sks like a timex takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    Here you go. She slugs at a perfect .312 and the bore is clean and shiny. Good grooves and lands.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190720_093159.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	245477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190720_093213.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	245478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190720_093349.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	245479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190720_093450.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	245480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190720_093511.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	245481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190720_093422.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	245482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190720_093533.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	245483

Boolit Master

Good deal Taylor. Having shot both, I prefer the SKS over the AK for the most part. On the battlefield I would take the AK only because it is quicker to reload. james

Boolit Master

I already have a Mosin, guess I need an AK to complete the series, man,..if it ain't one thing, it's another.

Boolit Master

Yes. It's one of those things momma didn't warn you about.

The SKS is an excellent carbine. If it had a reciever sight it would be better. I also prefer it to the AK. BUT I prefer the 7.62x39 AR that I just built over them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I actually like my ak better than the sks or mini 30 may not be quite as accurate but with a receiver mount and a descent sight it is accurate enough. I have a sunn sight and a green laser on mine and with 75 round drums its a blast. I have a hard time seeing the laser much past 50 yrds in bright light it works past that i can see it with my spotting scope i just can't see it with out magnification.

Boolit Master

You've got one that has the larger barrel spud - no gap between the barrel and rear sight block - that I've understood to mean it's a threaded barrel, not a pinned one. Looks to have a beech stock instead of the usual orange boxwood. Nicely done!

Ranch Dog / NOE mold designed for the 7.62x39: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...gukh8et5pcnps3
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I am still trying to work an SKS from my brother in law. He doesnt want to ship it. I dont know anything about them other than i just wanted that caliber.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I've been "horse trading" with my brother for years, always come out on the short end of the stick. So I know what you mean. Took me 20 years to get a Marlin Golden Boy from him...but I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I've been "horse trading" with my brother for years, always come out on the short end of the stick. So I know what you mean. Took me 20 years to get a Marlin Golden Boy from him...but I got it.
    Talk about coming out on the short end dealing with brother. Mine borrowed a 9mm of mine when i went to get it back he claimed i gave it to him. Who needs strangers to screw you over. I should have known better he's famous for doing this. I just wrote it off just not worth starting a mess in the family. But i learned and so did he. I used to load all his ammo . Not anymore, he calls complaining about the price of ammo i just say yea it really has got expensive sorry i just don't load much anymore.

Boolit Master
    @ Red Bear.
    It seems like we must be related.
    We seem to have the same Brother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast