MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: BK grip adapter...surprisingly good

BK grip adapter...surprisingly good

I wanted to give the Tyler T grip adapters a try since I aquired a spliter-stocked Model 19. Found out T-grip is expensive and old ones on EBay are even more expensive. Good thing a fellow from S&W forums is making a T-grip like adapter from a resin for less money and it has two clips instead of one. Fits well and really improves my grip with this particular model. Looks retro too. He has a functional website and I bought it in Sunday night and had it in my hand Wednesday afternoon. Money back return policy too should it not work out for you.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    They are a good buy for the modern guns.

But if you have a prewar Colt Tyler is the only outfit that still makes one to fit correctly.

Attachment 245443
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Not sure that I would shoot a prewar Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Not sure that I would shoot a prewar Colt.
    Why not? I happen to like them. History you can hold in your hand. Better turned out than anything made today.

Attachment 245448Attachment 245449Attachment 245450Attachment 245452Attachment 245451Attachment 245453
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    I carried a Detective Special as a back-up gun for years, it would group within 10 inches, offhand at 50 yards with Match wadcutters. Wish I still had it.

Banned
    I don't think the Tyler T-grip is over priced. They are less expensive than most grips. You do have to be willing to wait a bit for your order to arrive, you know, kind of like the old days.
    You fill out a paper order form, put it in an envelope with a money order, put a STAMP on it and mail it
    Then you wait for you item to arrive in the mail.

For those of us that lived in the pre-internet, pre-credit card instant on-line shopping era; this really isn't that difficult.

In the case of T-grips for the pre-1940 Colts, these are each made to order and not kept "in stock." Yes, so it takes a couple weeks. Delayed gratification builds character.

If you happen to luck into THREE Colt New Service revolvers in .455 Eley, .45 Colt and .45 ACP, as I did, then you can buy three of them with shipping for less than half the cost of ONE pair of custom, non-original grips.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Those Colt New Service revolvers do benefit with a "hole filler" especially if the shooter has size small hands. Our 1903 model CNS weighs like a anti tank launcher.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold

BK Grip Adapters for Colts

For those Colt owners who might be interested, BK Grips began offering a 2-clip grip adapter for the D-frame Detective Special in 2016. Since that time, users have found that this same adapter fits on a number of other Colt DA frames. From the BK Grips web site:

One customer has advised that the D adapters also fit properly on his E frame Officer’s Model, and his photos confirm this. Another customer has found that the D adapters fit properly on the large frame New Service model, again with confirming photos. Also, be aware that there were early, smaller Police Positive and Banker’s Special frames which are sometimes referred to as “D” frames but which are NOT the same size as the later, larger Police Positive Special/Detective Special frame, and the D adapters do NOT fit properly on these earlier, smaller frames. The early guns have a cylinder which is ~1.25″ long, while the later, larger guns have a cylinder which is ~1.56″ long.

I prefer the BK anyway. Aluminum gets cold and the color isn't all the way through. Ding it and now you can see the bright shiny alumium. The black, dense resin used by BK has it all over aluminum IMO. Plus the two copper clips offer greater retention on the frame.

Also, the reason why I wouldn't shoot a prewar Colt is that it will reduce the value of the said revolver and they aren't making any more of them (well, until recently, and the jury is still out on these new Colts). If you want to shoot a revolver Ruger and S&W pretty much have you covered. Anything from a little 22 snubbie to a 500 magnum. And 10 inches at 50 yards is not very impressive. Off a sand bag my stock pawn-shop buy 686 does much better than that. More two inches at 50 yards! I've never put a scope on it, and my eyes aren't very good. I am sure it could do even better in more skilled hands.
    Last edited by curioushooter; 10-02-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Curious, ol buddy, ol pal. We are not talking off a bench while sand bagged. Instead, take a 2 inch snubby, stand on your hind legs and dump a cylinder at 50 yards. I think you'll find 10 inches is a pretty respectable group. I had a 1969 Detective Special that I rue parting with to this very day. I have a Couple of the post '72 Colts which are dear to me, but I keep looking for a replacement for that old friend that I let slip away.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.