WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: S&w 625-jm

Boolit Buddy

S&w 625-jm

Quick question about this. Can 45 Auto Rim be used in this revolver? How do you think it would handel cast? I heard back when the ACP Mountain Revolvers came out that the rifiling was shallow and designed for full metal jacket. No idea if this was factual. This might be my next handgun.

Thanks
    Art

Boolit Master

Yes,

That shallow rifling was about the 1917 models. My 625 - Model of 1989 has std rifling, just like my M27 & M25-5.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Super Moderator

The S&W 625 is perfect for cast, and the 45 Auto Rim cartridge. I also have the Model of 1989 and love it.

Boolit Grand Master

Cast is all I feed mine.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Yes,

That shallow rifling was about the 1917 models. My 625 - Model of 1989 has std rifling, just like my M27 & M25-5.
    Also the later target revolvers and the Model 22 (and it’s predecessor.)

All had shallow 6-groove rifling instead of the normal S&W 5-groove to handle military ball.

The WWI FMJs were prone to getting stuck in normal-depth rifling.

I recently bought a 625 PC and 500 pieces Starline .45 AR.

DougGuy opened up the chamber throats to .4525 (they were very tight.)

I just got lucky and found the right shell plate for my LNLAP (it’s not regular production) so I’m planning to shoot the hell out of cast .45 AR.

I have a 625 JM that I traded a ratty Bulgarian AK for. In addition to 45 ACP and 45 AR I also use 45 GAP brass. Faster reloads with moon clips. This gun loves cast. Also have a 22-4 Thunder Ranch Model of 1950 45 ACP, loves cast also.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Master
    I have a S&W 1955 Target. I use full moon clips and ACP brass. I haven't had the sharp edges in the extractor star beveled, so I'll roll crimp my 45 ACP reloads that are intended for the revolver.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 625-8 JM Special. It is one of my absolute favorite revolvers. It gets NOTHING but my home cast bullets. It shoots really well (well under 1" at 25 yards with nearly everything I run in it). I also had a 625-6 Model of 1989 that shot just as well (my youngest son is taking very good care of it, these days.

My most used load is a target load (a Mihec #69 200 gr. SWC) ahead of 4.0 grs. of Bullseye or equivalent.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I have a 625s and use both 45 acp and 45 AR with nothing but cast bullets in them. Remington and Starline are the only sources of 45 AR brass.

Boolit Master
    I have one 625, a Mountain Gun, in ACP. But I have a bunch of blued ACP revolvers. The earlier ones do best with hard projectiles, either jacketed or hard cast lead. The modern revolvers can use a softer boolit.

Here are some of them.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F0548D2B-8B80-47AD-8505-9CDBAACEBD87.jpg  
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Brazilian INA manufacture replacement barrels for the M1917, made in the 1930s, have wide lands and deep grooves like a Colt SA. I had a "sewer pipe" M1917 with washed out barrel and found an INA barrel from somebody here on the forum. I had John Taylor recylinder and rechamber the gun to .45 Colt, using an S&W Model 29 cylinder I found on GunBroker and it is one of my favorite handguns.

Attachment 245917Attachment 245918Attachment 245919

Diameter of original cylnder throats on the S&W M1917 cylinder were .456"

The throats of the line-bored and rechambered M29 cylinder to .45 Colt are .453"

My S&W S-prefix .45 ACP Model 1950 throats are .455

ALL THREE of my Colt New Service revolvers in .455 Eley, .45 ACP and .45 Colt are .456"
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-28-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    Quick question about this. Can 45 Auto Rim be used in this revolver? How do you think it would handel cast? I heard back when the ACP Mountain Revolvers came out that the rifiling was shallow and designed for full metal jacket. No idea if this was factual. This might be my next handgun.

Thanks
    Art
    I have a 625 JM and I am NOT over joyed with it, But I am not done trying to make myself like it.
    As to Rifling in the 625 JM, there seems to be some produced with the traditional 5 groove S&W rifling, and some produced with 6 groove shallow rifling. Mine has the 6 groove.

Here is a interesting thread about the 625 JM, included in it, is my disappointments.
    https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...-jm-info.4489/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001